• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women to get equal inheritance rights in Tunisia

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
What's this? A thread about something positive in the Islamic world? My head may yet implode! :D

The Tunisian government is mulling over proposals to grant women equal inheritance rights with men. Of course this is being met by opposition from those who hold to Islamic jurisprudence and it may not pass but there seems to be enough appetite that they're actually having the conversation which is very encouraging! :)

Hopefully where the Tunisians lead; other Muslim-majority countries will follow!

Source - Huffington Post UK

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yeah but it's happening - or potentially happening - and I think that should be recognised.
I agree. It's just that such nations need to kick it into high gear if they want to catch up with the rest of the world. They want to migrate to the west because it's more advanced, offering more opportunity and a higher quality of life, yet they resent and resist the very ideals that have created such advancement.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I agree. It's just that such nations need to kick it into high gear if they want to catch up with the rest of the world. They want to migrate to the west because it's more advanced, offering more opportunity and a higher quality of life, yet they resent and resist the very ideals that have created such advancement.
I wonder if that is how they view the situation.

A perhaps more accurate model is that they generally do not want to engage in what they see as excesses and liberties of "the West", yet still find it desirable to promote more equality of rights between men and women.