1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Women should keep silent in the assembly?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by IndigoChild5559, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Wandering Monk

Wandering Monk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,006
    Religion:
    agnostic
    And folks wonder why young people are leaving religion.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Fallen Prophet

Fallen Prophet Active Member

Ratings:
    +173
    I believe that God create Men and Women equal - but different. He - ideally - wanted them to fulfill particular roles.

Women were intended to be mothers - to care for and nurture the next generation - every generation - and to assist their husbands.

Men were intended to protect their wives and children from both physical and spiritual threats and to assist their wives.

One of the many ways that God has assisted Mankind in their duties is the bestowal of the Priesthood - the authority to act in His name.

I believe that this authority has only been extended to Men - who were designed to bear the ultimate responsibility of their family.

This is why women are told not to "speak" (which I interpret to mean "officiate" or "lead") at worship functions - because that is the role of those who hold the Priesthood.

The New Testament claims that there were women who assisted Priesthood holders during their ministry - so I do not believe they were meant to be completely silent - but they were instructed to take a subservient role in the presence of Priesthood holders.

3. lostwanderingsoul

lostwanderingsoul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,382
    Religion:
    seeking
    Oh, I'm sorry. I guess we should listen to you instead of God.

4. Conscious thoughts

Conscious thoughts Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +14,861
    Religion:
    Osmanli Nakshibedi Way, Sufism
    I just Said my understanding of it, og you or anyone Else do not wish to take my words as what you believe, that is no problem og course

5. idea

idea Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +719
    Religion:
    SBNR spiritual but not religious
    It is true that women bear children. Within the animal and insect kingdoms, some colonies are ruled by males, other by females. In this period of time, as much work becomes less physical in nature, gender roles are slowly reversing. Is it more physically taxing to sit in front of a computer all day? Or chase kids, haul laundry, cook, and clean? Contemplating the number of single moms, vs single dads, as well as Contemplating average life expectancy to incarceration rates of different genders, I believe women are now more often the "protectors" of children, and more often the "providers" as well. Cultural stereotypes die hard, there is good in all. With time hopefully we will all be allowed to be people - choosing and acting how circumstances and life take us.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jaiket

Jaiket Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,695
    Religion:
    Something else
    Like violence, pinning sexism on religion is often (but not always) mistaking the cause for the rationalisation. That's my take. Over and out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Dan From Smithville

Dan From Smithville Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,303
    Religion:
    Christian
    I cannot put my finger on it, but I feel a lot of irony for reading this.

8. Shakeel

Shakeel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +240
    Religion:
    Islam
    I didn't call men the more practical sex, but it isn't that men are unable to do it, it's just that they tend to do it much less.

Also,
    Should Men Do Housework? | The Modern Man
    Do you have evidence for that because it sounds like bs?
    That does not reflect well on you.
    Which could be useful since you're not exactly optimistic about it.
    Is that what a housewife is? How many do you know?

9. Kooky

Kooky Freedom from Sanity

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Honestly, if you ask me straight away, I'd say it would have to be...

Okay, I got nothing then.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Meow Mix

Meow Mix Chatte Féministe

Ratings:
    +6,183
    Religion:
    Nontheist
    The surest sign that your worldview doesn’t line up with reality is when you say something as demonstrably wrong as this.

Well, at least you just wear your misogyny on your sleeve; it’s more honest than being insidious about it I suppose.

Not that it needs to be said, but a few of the old canards you’re conjuring here are related to upbringing. There is nothing about being a woman that involves being more emotional, having fewer practical skills, being less authoritative, etc. unless her culture beats it out of her; which you seem set on perpetuating.

I should pity you for probably never knowing what it’s like to have a partner, but considering your fetish for infantilizing women, I suppose that you like it that way.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Meow Mix

Ratings:
    +6,183
    Religion:
    Nontheist
    Wow at the toxic cesspit that is that “Modern Man” link.

Yikes :cryingcat:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Meow Mix

Ratings:
    +6,183
    Religion:
    Nontheist
    Humans have always projected their cultural feelings about gender onto objects based on whatever their cultural attitudes towards said genders are.

I don’t know a whole lot about shamanism or other belief systems involving a “mother earth” or Gaia figure, so I’m not sure how to comment on it. Humans project a lot of symbolism that they, themselves, are creating.

13. Link

Link Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,479
    Religion:
    Twelver seeker
    Just see the life of Fatima (a), and Zainab (a) in Shiite Islam. They were not silent nor not in public, but great inspirational examples and lead us back to truth.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Link

Link Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,479
    Religion:
    Twelver seeker
    What I do, why you calling me Link a toxic cesspit. I'm joking...

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. natasha levchenko

Ratings:
    +94
    Religion:
    JW
    In fact, Paul often referred to the wholesome teaching of women.In his letter to the Corinthians, Paul advised not only women but also individuals who had the gift of tongues and prophecy to “keep silent” when another believer was speaking.* (1 Corinthians 14:26-30, 33) “What is to be done, then, brothers? When you come together, one has a psalm, another has a teaching, another has a revelation, another has a tongue, and another has an interpretation.+ Let all things take place for building up.+27 And if someone speaks in a tongue, let it be limited to two or three at the most, and in turns, and someone must interpret.+ 28 But if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in the congregation and speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets+ speak, and let the others discern the meaning. 30 But if another one receives a revelation while sitting there, let the first speaker keep silent.”
    Likely some Christian women were so enthusiastic about their newfound faith that they interrupted the speaker to ask questions, as was the custom in that part of the world. In order to avoid such disorder, Paul encouraged them to “question their own husbands at home.”

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein The Uncuckable
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +20,019
    Religion:
    Christian
    Well, there are cases where it is religiously based, like how girls and women in India are treated awfully for their menstrual cycles and this is justified by a certain interpretation of a Hindu myth.

17. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,295
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    You are speaking about the abuse of headship, which is clearly demonstrated in some cultures and religions. Not at all what God put in place as I have explained already.

This is God’s arrangement. Since it is God who designates the ‘driver’, the safety and well being of all ‘passengers’ in his vehicle is his responsibility. How is that difficult to understand. It was not to be a position of power at all. He is accountable to God for how he fulfills his responsibility. Jesus was the model.

Maybe it’s your eyes that are glued shut? :facepalm:

18. Meow Mix

Ratings:
    +6,183
    Religion:
    Nontheist
    I would never! :kissingcat::smilecat:

Everybody raise your glass to Link!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Debater Slayer

Debater Slayer Veteran Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,877
    This kind of rhetoric genuinely makes me that much more grateful for the efforts of all of the women who were patient and kind enough to me to show me how I was wrong when I had similar views. Anyone who believes women are less capable than men and doesn't really know many women to dispel that myth is missing out a lot.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. sojourner

sojourner Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

Ratings:
    +5,517
    Religion:
    Christian/Shamanic
    Sexist claptrap.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1