• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women rights in Christianity?

Fatmop

Do you think they still happen in Orthodox Jewish areas?

Do you think Jews still sacrifice animals?
If you aren't following half the teachings in the Torah/Bible, why follow any of them?

Scott1

Fatmop said:
I get caught up in that sense because theological teachings are applied to secular happenings all the time. For a non-recent example, see slavery.
Slavery happened because of a theological teaching? Methinks not.

Did the Christian world speak out against it or refuse to end it immediately? Nope... sinful, yes, but not the cause.

Fatmop

It exists, but people won't break the law to punish another law breaker. Do you understand how Jewish courts work?
No, but that is of major concern. How do you know all your laws are just? How do you know that your current laws (that you don't break to punish lawbreakers) are not going to be seen down the road as barbaric and inhumane?

Scott1

flysky said:
1.The RIGHT and duty to acquire education, own independent property, to earn money, express her opinion, re-marry after divorce or after becoming widow etc....

Tell about them
Sorry... the Bible is theology, not a secular law book. The rule of law in the US is based upon the Contitution, look to this document for an education about rights and duties as a citizen of this country.... best of luck.

Fatmop

Slavery happened because of a theological teaching? Methinks not.

Did the Christian world speak out against it or refuse to end it immediately? Nope... sinful, yes, but not the cause.
I didn't say it was the cause. I said it was applied. People quoted scripture to defend the practice of slavery all the time.

Deut 13:1

Fatmop said:
No, but that is of major concern. How do you know all your laws are just?
The Torah is a body of law. If you choose not to live by it, it's your choice. If you choose to live by it, then you will be held accountable to it.

Fatmop said:
How do you know that your current laws (that you don't break to punish lawbreakers) are not going to be seen down the road as barbaric and inhumane?
I need examplees, that's way to vauge of a question. Give me an example of a rule you believe to be barbaric.

Scott1

Fatmop said:
I didn't say it was the cause. I said it was applied. People quoted scripture to defend the practice of slavery all the time.
All the time, eh? Okey dokey.

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
flysky said:
To me that sounds easy way out.

Any way if you can atleast explain me what this means
"If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives" Deuteronomy 22:28-30

Lastly can anyone give me the list of rights Bible give to women.
Hi Fly,

In a way your post is disengenuous. You knew the answer coming in. No, the Bible is not at the forefront of women's rights. There would be no women's rights movement if it weren't for residual archaic notions about the roles that each of us plays. Some authors have made jabs at the subject by portraying men to be in some kind of delusional role as the hunter and the provider. There was a time when this was true. Nowadays, a totally archaic notion. I think that this is merely an attack on the Bible and a denial of the self determination that women have nowadays that is not resisted by clear thinking modern Christians.

Fatmop

I need examplees, that's way to vauge of a question. Give me an example of a rule you believe to be barbaric.
Capital punishment. Talk to any industrialized European nation about it.
Especially killing adulterers - what they choose to do with their morality is their business, not yours.

Fatmop

"All the time" is a figure of speech. I assume you agree that many church officials defended the practice of slavery by quoting scripture, in which case there is little to argue.

Scott1

Fatmop said:
"All the time" is a figure of speech. I assume you agree that many church officials defended the practice of slavery by quoting scripture, in which case there is little to argue.
Heck, I think Hitler was a Christian in some form or other (if memory serves)... the ignorance of humanity would be here without the Bible... if it makes you feel better that some use the Bible to defend abominable behavior, so be it.

Fatmop said:
Capital punishment. Talk to any industrialized European nation about it.
Especially killing adulterers - what they choose to do with their morality is their business, not yours.
Deuteronomy 17
5. Then you shall bring out that man or that woman who has committed this evil thing, to your cities, the man or the woman, and you shall pelt them with stones, and they shall die.
6. By the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall the one liable to death be put to death; he shall not be put to death by the mouth of one witness.

Deuteronomy 17
8. If a matter eludes you in judgment, between blood and blood, between judgment and judgment, or between lesion and lesion, words of dispute in your cities, then you shall rise and go up to the place the Lord, your God, chooses..

9. And you shall come to the Levitic kohanim and to the judge who will be in those days, and you shall inquire, and they will tell you the words of judgment.

Deuteronomy 19
15. One witness shall not rise up against any person for any iniquity or for any sin, regarding any sin that he will sin. By the mouth of two witnesses, or by the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be confirmed.

Deuteronomy 17
16. If a false witness rises up against a man, to bear perverted testimony against him,
17. Then the two men between whom the controversy exists shall stand before the Lord, before the kohanim and the judges who will be in those days.
18. And the judges shall inquire thoroughly, and behold, the witness is a false witness; he has testified falsely against his brother;
19. then you shall do to him as he plotted to do to his brother, and you shall [thus] abolish evil from among you.
20. And those who remain shall listen and fear, and they shall no longer continue to commit any such evil thing among you.
21. You shall not have pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

This is just some, and this is just Deuteronomy, I believe there are more in Exodus.

I'm assuming you know how many Ordained Rabbi's sat on a court, I'm also assuming you know there are currently no Ordained Rabbi's in the world, I'm also assuming you know that if a non-Jewish women commits adultery, she isn't liable to the punishments, I'm also assuming you know what you're talking about when it comes to Jewish court systems in general. There is a reason you don't see tons of people being stoned to death in Israel.

flysky

Scott1 said:
Sorry... the Bible is theology, not a secular law book. The rule of law in the US is based upon the Contitution, look to this document for an education about rights and duties as a citizen of this country.... best of luck.
Again easy way out... Well if you udon't know the answer this is a good way out.

Let me tell you this my friend and please don't get offended but its a fact. How can a Human interpretation with Human involvement have the perfect word.

Yes, I know Bible is not a Law book but how come it gives laws like
"let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law, and if they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for woman to speak in the church."

1Corinthians 14:34-35

"Say to the Israelites, 'If a man dies and leaves no son, turn his inheritance over to his daughter...'"

Numbers 27:8

I would recommend you to see what Islam has to give Women

http://askmuslims.com/women.html

talk to you all tomorrow.

Faint

Binyamin said:
I'm assuming you know how many Ordained Rabbi's sat on a court, I'm also assuming you know there are currently no Ordained Rabbi's in the world, I'm also assuming you know that if a non-Jewish women commits adultery, she isn't liable to the punishments, I'm also assuming you know what you're talking about when it comes to Jewish court systems in general. There is a reason you don't see tons of people being stoned to death in Israel.
We also don't see tons of people being stoned to death in the U.S., England, Canada or other countries where the majority of people base their religion on the Bible. I've read this entire thread and what I'm getting is this: modern christians (and jews) do not follow the laws (yes, Scott, they were laws) of the old testament. Hopefully, if they're decent people, they might also agree that those old laws are immoral. And I say good for them--those old laws suck.

However, since we're talking about women's rights, I'm wondering what part of the Bible makes it OK for christians to reject the laws of the old testament? True, y'all are required to obey the law of the land (like the U.S. Constitiution, for example--if you're American), but aren't you also breaking God's laws if you don't do what he said you should do? Or is it that by accepting Christ you get a sort of "exempt status", as in you no longer need to do what god says as long as you are doing what Christ says?? What in the Bible implies that the modern christian should not stone women who have broken God's law, or force them to marry a man who raped them?

I hope I explained that clearly enough.:rolleyes:

Faint said:
We also don't see tons of people being stoned to death in the U.S., England, Canada or other countries where the majority of people base their religion on the Bible. I've read this entire thread and what I'm getting is this: modern christians (and jews) do not follow the laws (yes, Scott, they were laws) of the old testament. Hopefully, if they're decent people, they might also agree that those old laws are immoral. And I say good for them--those old laws suck.
What do you mean jews don't follow the laws, I ask again, what Law don't we follow?

Faint said:
However, since we're talking about women's rights, I'm wondering what part of the Bible makes it OK for christians to reject the laws of the old testament? True, y'all are required to obey the law of the land (like the U.S. Constitiution, for example--if you're American), but aren't you also breaking God's laws if you don't do what he said you should do? Or is it that by accepting Christ you get a sort of "exempt status", as in you no longer need to do what god says as long as you are doing what Christ says?? What in the Bible implies that the modern christian should not stone women who have broken God's law, or force them to marry a man who raped them?
Well for Jews, a competant court can not be gathered to do the trial. This is why stoning women who have broken Hashem's law is wrong. You need 23 Ordained Rabbis to have a court, and since 23 Ordained Rabbi's don't exist, we can't make courts to stone people.

Faint

Binyamin said:
What do you mean jews don't follow the laws, I ask again, what Law don't we follow?.
See below...

Binyamin said:
In 23, you have a woman about to be married, who has sex with a man, in that case, they both die. No problem there.​
In 28, you have a woman who isn't going to get married, she doesn't cry for help and they both have sex. Well, in that case, they are forced to get marry, and the man, who initiated the sex, will pay to the woman's father.​
Let's start with these two laws--do Israeli jews still follow/enforce them? And if so, do you think they are morally good laws?​
Binyamin said:
Well for Jews, a competant court can not be gathered to do the trial. This is why stoning women who have broken Hashem's law is wrong. You need 23 Ordained Rabbis to have a court, and since 23 Ordained Rabbi's don't exist, we can't make courts to stone people.

Okay, forgive me for going off the subject of christianity, but I'm curious and a little ignorant on this matter of the Rabbis. Why don't they exist?

jonny

I personally think there is too much talk about "rights" and not enough talk about responsibility. Religion doesn't give people rights - it gives them responsibility and if they uphold that responsibility they are rewarded.