• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women rights in Christianity?

Fatmop

Are you always right? When you have the final say, does it always work out better than if she did? If your wife agreed to this subordination, then I have little to say except that you have in no way provided an argument against Christian chauvanism.

Deut 13:1

Fatmop said:
Are you always right? When you have the final say, does it always work out better than if she did? If your wife agreed to this subordination, then I have little to say except that you have in no way provided an argument against Christian chauvanism.
I don't think it is subordination as much as different roles.

flysky

Scott1 said:
Huh?

If you read and believe the Bible it shows cleary the early conflict and then resolution of matters related to Paul: the inclusion of Gentiles, circumcision etc....

If you don't believe in the Bible, then why in the heck would it matter? Without that, what proof do you have that Christ the Savior even existed?
To me that sounds easy way out.

Any way if you can atleast explain me what this means
"If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives" Deuteronomy 22:28-30

Lastly can anyone give me the list of rights Bible give to women.

Scott1

Fatmop said:
You seemed to have missed my joke... "my wife said it was ok..." she is the boss in my house... I'm usually wrong about everything.:)

Fatmop

I don't think it is subordination as much as different roles.
Perhaps subordination was a bit harsh. Still, why should women have 'different roles?' Especially in household decision-making?

Scott1

flysky said:
Rrrrrrrright......
Seems pretty clear to me what it means.... to a JEW.
Sure... this applies to men and women.:)

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.
Rejoice and be glad,for your reward is great in heaven.

flysky said:

"If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives" Deuteronomy 22:28-30

The hebrew word used is kiddushin, it doesn't really have a great English counterpart but it basically is a woman who is betrotnal, but it has a much more significant legal meaning. To understand this verse, you must read from Deuteronomy 22:23 - 28.​

In 23, you have a woman about to be married, who has sex with a man, in that case, they both die. No problem there.​
In 25, you have a woman about to be married, who cried out for help when the man has sex with her. In that case, ONLY the man is punished since the woman committed no sin.​
In 28, you have a woman who isn't going to get married, she doesn't cry for help and they both have sex. Well, in that case, they are forced to get marry, and the man, who initiated the sex, will pay to the woman's father.
Do you see the difference in the punishments? Or do you need further explanation on any of them?​

Fatmop

Sure... this applies to men and women.
smile.gif

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.
Don't worry that if someone rapes you, you're gonna get stoned to death. Heaven!! Don't think about all those nasty inequalities on Earth. Heaven!!

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
Fatmop said:
Yes, the Bible was chauvanistic. Managing to find one or two passages FOR women's equality does not diminish the impact of the numerous passages AGAINST.
Well, you managed to miss the point. There was a mono-linear connection between the OT and the NT made by those who penned the Gospels. Therefore, as I stated, Jesus' thoughts on this were not represented to supercede the OT. I am not just throwing a bone here, I am saying that the archaic notions continued to be the paradigm. It is funny how you are even attacking those who are symathetic with what you are saying here.

Fatmop

In 23, you have a woman about to be married, who has sex with a man, in that case, they both die. No problem there.​
In 25, you have a woman about to be married, who cried out for help when the man has sex with her. In that case, ONLY the man is punished since the woman committed no sin.​
In 28, you have a woman who isn't going to get married, she doesn't cry for help and they both have sex. Well, in that case, they are forced to get marry, and the man, who initiated the sex, will pay to the woman's father.
Do you see the difference in the punishments? Or do you need further explanation on any of them?​
As an aside, do you believe those punishments are just and fair in all cases?

Scott1

Fatmop said:
Perhaps subordination was a bit harsh. Still, why should women have 'different roles?' Especially in household decision-making?
I think you are getting caught up in looking at a theological teaching and trying to apply it to secular situations.

This has to do with the spiritual relationship between a man and his wife.... who takes out the garbage and who controls the remote and not God's concern.... whatever "role" a person takes in a relationship should be based upon a desire to promote good will in the marriage and a self-giving that should protect against any chauvanism or anything else negative.

Fatmop said:
Don't worry that if someone rapes you, you're gonna get stoned to death. Heaven!! Don't think about all those nasty inequalities on Earth. Heaven!!
Do you think stonings still go on in Orthodox Jewish areas?

dan

Hey, man that was a different culture altogether. It's understandable that you wouldn't feel the same.

Scott1

Fatmop said:
What kind of ignorant gibberish is this?

Who gets stoned to death because of a rape? I think I would have seen something on CNN about this.:banghead3

Fatmop

I think you are getting caught up in looking at a theological teaching and trying to apply it to secular situations.

This has to do with the spiritual relationship between a man and his wife.... who takes out the garbage and who controls the remote and not God's concern.... whatever "role" a person takes in a relationship should be based upon a desire to promote good will in the marriage and a self-giving that should protect against any chauvanism or anything else negative.
I get caught up in that sense because theological teachings are applied to secular happenings all the time. For a non-recent example, see slavery.

Do you think stonings still go on in Orthodox Jewish areas?
Do you think that kind of rationale doesn't exist at all in Jewish and Christian society anymore?

Fatmop said:
As an aside, do you believe those punishments are just and fair in all cases?
Yes. Do you think they still happen in Orthodox Jewish areas?

Do you think Jews still sacrifice animals?

I think you guys have a real misunderstanding of these verses. What the NT has to say is irrelevant, Christians can use the same argument I have.

Fatmop

I do apologize for typing out that ignorant gibberish line. I was attempting to illustrate the faulty reasoning involved in saying that 'nothing that happens here on Earth matters, because you can go to heaven.' How I said it was entirely wrong.

flysky

Scott1 said:
Rrrrrrrright......
Seems pretty clear to me what it means.... to a JEW.
Sure... this applies to men and women.:)

Well i am asking the rights like

1.The RIGHT and duty to acquire education, own independent property, to earn money, express her opinion, re-marry after divorce or after becoming widow etc....

Tell about them

Fatmop said:
Do you think that kind of rationale doesn't exist at all in Jewish and Christian society anymore?
It exists, but people won't break the law to punish another law breaker. Do you understand how Jewish courts work?