• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women rights in Christianity?

flysky

RIGHTS LIKE

FEMALE EDUCATION, DIVORCE, MOTHERS, FEMALE INHERITANCE, UNCLEAN IMPURE WOMAN, BEARING WITNESS, ADULTERY, VOWS, WIFE'S PROPERTY, POLYGAMY, ETC?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
flysky said:
RIGHTS LIKE

FEMALE EDUCATION, DIVORCE, MOTHERS, FEMALE INHERITANCE, UNCLEAN IMPURE WOMAN, BEARING WITNESS, ADULTERY, VOWS, WIFE'S PROPERTY, POLYGAMY, ETC?
Sorry Flysky, I still don't understand what you are asking; Christianity's 'stance' on women ? Christianity doesn't suppot adultery for either men or women- why on earth would you segregate women for the sake of this question, when both men and women are subject to the same 'rules'.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think a case could be made that the rights women now enjoy are more the result of humanism than they are directly the result of Christianity.

dan

My point was that Christianity is not in charge of giving anyone rights. Christianity can define the nature of the woman's role in society and the plan of salvation, but beyond that it's a governmental thing.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
dan said:
My point was that Christianity is not in charge of giving anyone rights. Christianity can define the nature of the woman's role in society and the plan of salvation, but beyond that it's a governmental thing.
Agreed; both you and Sunstone make good points - though I am still not sure those were the answers Flysky was looking for.

dan

michel said:
Agreed; both you and Sunstone make good points - though I am still not sure those were the answers Flysky was looking for.
Christ treated women with the utmost respect. He is the greatest champion of women and any other kind of treatment of the feminine gender can be dismissed as not Christian.

Aqualung

Tasty
dan said:
Of course. The roles are different.
People have to remember, different roles does not mean different worth or different . . . other things like that who's words I can't think of.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Aqualung said:
People have to remember, different roles does not mean different worth or different . . . other things like that who's words I can't think of.
But don't you think some of those role differences set up an inequality between men and women?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
But don't you think some of those role differences set up an inequality between men and women?
Do you mean as in 'man's innability to carry and give birth to Children' ?:p

Deut 13:1

Women are never obligated to go to worship, the only requirement they have is to listen to the Shofar. It's a mitzvot for them to go, but it can also be a sin if they do it at the expense of the other jobs they have. They have a different role then men, what's the big deal?

Aqualung

Tasty
Sunstone said:
No. Do you think that because I am a teacher and you are a . . . construction guy that we are somehow inequal? No. What if we were all teacher? Who would do the construction? Role differences are necessary.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Aqualung said:
No. Do you think that because I am a teacher and you are a . . . construction guy that we are somehow inequal? No. What if we were all teacher? Who would do the construction? Role differences are necessary.
That's an excellent point. Unfortunately, I can immediately tell you that some would see a plumber as being inferior to, say, a teacher...... such is mankind.;) But that is not inequality of the sexes.

jonny

Binyamin said:
Women are never obligated to go to worship, the only requirement they have is to listen to the Shofar. It's a mitzvot for them to go, but it can also be a sin if they do it at the expense of the other jobs they have. They have a different role then men, what's the big deal?
I'm not familiar with the terms Shofar and Mitzvot in Christianity.

jonny

Christianity gives women the same right that it give men - the agency to accept Jesus Christ and return to live with God.

Deut 13:1

jonny said:
I'm not familiar with the terms Shofar and Mitzvot in Christianity.
Sorry :) The Shofar is referenced in Num. 29:1 Basically it is the horn of a ram.
Mitzvot has a couple meanings, but in this case I was just saying, It's good for them to go, but it can be a sin if they go and there other responsibilities suffer.