• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women In Hinduism 2

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
At first I thought the bathing thing made no sense. Now it makes perfect sense and I feel uncomfortable not bathing before I sit.

It's a physical manifestation odic force. Odic force is that sticky, emotional, attached stuff that one one hand keeps us grounded, and on another limits the ability to delve within.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Menstruation though a natural pehenomenon was probably considered as a transition phase. Worship, meditation, japa are all associated with consciousness. If we look closely into the ancient Samkhya philosophy, consciousness is associated with purusa. Since a women is looked upon as manifestation of 'prakriti' and man that of 'purusa' any interaction between purusa and prakriti in this phase is prohibited. That could well be the reason why women were prohibited from visiting temples or cooking. Hindu homes have their own ishta-devtas they worship at home. So probably the women were not allowed to enter the kitchen or approach the places of worship. I am sceptical about labeling women as impure during the periods but at the same time cannot reject or accept the traditions without proper reasoning. Ironically people are aware of their traditions and follow them but don't know the reason behind. One thing i certainly know that Hindu women had no complaints about the tradition as it allowed them to keep off from the daily household chores. A Hindu joint family would have many other women who would attend to the daily chores giving each women in the family a much needed 4 day break.

Mystically, its all blood. Dirt, grime, and more. Priests in most temples in India will leave from a cut as well. Asuric instinctive forces 'like' blood. (Ever noticed wars, and the mentalities associated with them?) ) Notice how campers are warned about grizzly bears, how sharks head towards blood and guts of fish, etc. Incense, flames, bells, beautiful music, etc. attract devas, higher energies. But if you don't believe in mysticism ... well?

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Mystically, its all blood. Dirt, grime, and more. Priests in most temples in India will leave from a cut as well. Asuric instinctive forces 'like' blood. (Ever noticed wars, and the mentalities associated with them?) ) Notice how campers are warned about grizzly bears, how sharks head towards blood and guts of fish, etc. Incense, flames, bells, beautiful music, etc. attract devas, higher energies. But if you don't believe in mysticism ... well?

jai jai again , perfect !

ratikala

Istha gosthi
I think those who are overly attached to gender, whether feeling superior, or inferior, or really different, don't really understand reincarnation as a real doctrine. Consider the 108 beads on a traditional mala. 108 lifetimes. This lifetime is but a single bead. Over the length of the mala (the 108 lifetimes) the soul takes on or inhabits, or grows around it, maybe 50-60 times as a female physical body, then another 50-60 times as a male physical body. It is the soul and it's essence that is evolving, not the body. There is no doubt a misogynist's karma will be balanced out through the eternal law of karma, helped along through reincarnation.

Who are you, a person with gender, or a soul with no gender? Is it a soul with a body, or a body with a soul?

jai jai , deserves more than a frubal

Marble

Rolling Marble
It has always puzzeled me that a tradition were god can be female nevertheless is so men-oriented.

Marble

Rolling Marble
What exactly do you find male oriented?
All of Hinduism is male oriented.
Hindu boys got the sacred thread and study the Vedas - girls got married, had to obey their mother-in-law supposed to serve their husband, even see him as god.
Widows were forbidden to re-marry.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hindu boys got the sacred thread and study the Vedas - girls got married, had to obey their mother-in-law supposed to serve their husband, even see him as god.

From my experience travelling in India, and with many groups here, what you're speaking of seemed worse as you head further north, but my observations could be way off. I won't give you my real thoughts here, but you can guess. ;)

In my marriage, there was her seeing me as God, and me seeing her as Goddess, the exchange of garlands to indicate just that. Definitely at most temples I've been to, other than the priests, it is the women who are hard core. A typical Sunday may see 70% women sitting and singing, and 30% men. The other men go to the cultural hall, and talk politics or some other non-religious thing. Certainly in the home, it's Mom taking care of the shrine room more often than the man. But I'm gerneralising.

Times are changing, just like here in the west. My parent's generation were pretty gool ol' all out chauvinists too.

sadhak

I can only guess why the ancient Hindu's followed these traditions. As I always say they had their own reasons which are unknown to us. Unfortunately they won't be here to explain their side of the story.;) Widow remarriages are permitted in the modern Hindu society. It's no longer male oriented. Oh no!! :D

Wannabe Yogi

In Vedic times things were less sexist then more recently. The Vedas is the only main world scripture in which the Truths are revealed to women sages and recorded for posterity.

The Rig Veda also talks about women engaged in warfare. Even as late as the fifth century BC Megasthenes wrote about heavily armed women guards protecting Chandragupta's palace.

Satyamavejayanti

I never accepted the concept that a woman is unclean during menustration.

I do not accept it either, as to me Ishwar is parant to all humans. to say that women cant go to temple during menstruation is something pick-up from other religious or cultural beliefs, not originally Vedic Hinduism.

I got told this by a friend (female) once, and i asked her why did Ishwar do this to you and not like you going to temple? Does he get disgusted by you?
and where in our revealed scriptures does it advise this?

She did not have an answer for any of this.

Last edited:

sadhak

I do not accept it either, as to me Ishwar is parant to all humans. to say that women cant go to temple during menstruation is something pick-up from other religious or cultural beliefs, not originally Vedic Hinduism.

I got told this by a friend (female) once, and i asked her why did Ishwar do this to you and not like you going to temple? Does he get disgusted by you?
and where in our revealed scriptures does it advise this?

She did not have an answer for any of this.

I do not know whether it is ordained by the scriptures. As to when it was introduced i am unaware of but i did find a mention of it in the Sabha Parva of Mahabharata. The wife of Yudhisthira named Draupadi was dragged by a Kuru prince to the assembly of warriors while she was in her season. It's a Hindu custom to touch the feet and seek blessings from elders when you first meet them every day. Draupadi requested the prince not to force her to the assembly because she was in her season and so she can't even touch the feet of her elders and seek blessings. So it cannot be denied that it was part of Hindu tradition.
Further when the Kuru prince tried to disrobe her in the assembly it was Krishna the supreme Lord who came to her aid and supplied a never ending stream of clothing. Though he was the supreme Lord certainly he was not disgusted. Draupadi was one of his dearest devotee and he rushed in to help her never thinking whether she was in her season.

Satyamavejayanti

In Vedas some of woman's designated attributes are

1. Aditi, because she is not dependent (Nirukta, 4/22)
2. Aghnya, for she is not to be hurt (Y.V. 8/43)
3. Brhati, for she is large hearted (Y.V. 11/64)
4. Chandra, because she is happy (Y.V. 8/43)
5. Devakama, since she is pious. (A.V. 14/1/47)
6. Devi, since she is divine (A.V. 14/1/45, Y.V. 4/23)
7. Dhruva, for she is firm (Y.V. 11/64) a
8. Havya, because she is worthy of invocation (Y.V. 8/43)
9. Ida, for she is worshippable (Y.V. 8/43)
10. Jyota, because she is illuminating, bright (Y.V. 8/43)
11. Kamya, because she is lovable (Y.V. 8/43)
12. Kshama, for she is tolerant/indulgent /patient (A.V. 12/1/29)
13. Mahi, since she is great (Y.V. 8/43)
14. Mena, because she deserves respect (Nirukta 3/21/2)
15. Nari, for she is not inimical to anyone (A.V. 14/1/59)
16. Purandhih, for she is munificent, liberal (Y.V. 22/22)
17. Ranta, because she is lovely (Y.V. 8/43)
18. rtavari, rtachit, for she is the preserver / forester of truth (R.V.2/41/18)
19. Sanjaya, since she is victorious (R.V. 10/159/3)
20. Sarasvati, since she is scholarly (Y.V. 20/84)
21. Simhi, since she is courageous (Y.V. 5/12)
22. Shiva, for she is benevolent (A.V. 14/1/64)
23. Shivatama, since she is the noblest (R.V. 10/85/37)
24. Stri, since she is modest (R.V. 8/33/9, Nirukta 3/21/2)
25. Subhaga, because she is fortunate (Y.V. 8/43)
26. Subhdha, for she is knowledgeable (A.V. 14/2.75)
27. Sumangali, since she is auspicious (A.V. 14/2/26)
28. Susheva, for she is pleasant (A.V. 14/2/26)
29. Suvarcha, since she is splendid (A.V. 14/4/47)
30. Suyama, since she is self - disciplined. (A.V. 14/2/18)
31. Syona, for she is noble (A.V. 14/2/27)
32. Virini, since she is mother of brave sons (R.V. 10/86/9, 10)
33. Vishruta, since she is learned (Y.V. 8/43)
34. Yashasvati, for she is glorious (R.V. 1.79.1)
35. Yosha, because she is intermingled with man, she is not separate (Nirukta
3/15/1)

[Indian Feminism in Vedic perspective, by Shashi Prabha Kumar Reader, Univ. of Delhi, Delhi 110007; Journal of Indian studies, Vol. 1, 1998]

Women rshis (rshika) in the Rig Veda Samhita
(one or more mantra was revealed to each rshika)
aditi 4.18
aditirdakshayani 10.72
apala atreyi 8.91
indrani 10.86
urvashi 10.85
godha 10.134
gosha kakshivati 10.39, 10.40
juhurbramhajaya 10.109
tvashta garbhakarta 10.184
dakshina prajapatya 10.107
yami 10.154
yami vaivasvati 10.10
ratrirbharadvaji 10.127
lopamudra 1.171
vasukrapatni 10.28
vagambhrni 10.125
vishvavara atreyi 5.28
sashvatyangirasi 8.1
shradhda kamayani 10.151
shachi paulomi 10.159
sarparajni 10.189
sikata nivavari 9.86
surya savitri 10.85
romasha 1.126
sarama devashuni 10.108
shikhandinyava
psarasau 9.104
kashyapan
jarita sharngah 10.142
suditirangirasah 8.71
indra mataro 10.153

(This is not the complete list)

from Essence of Vedas.

OM TATH SATH

Marble

Rolling Marble
Women rshis (rshika) in the Rig Veda Samhita
(one or more mantra was revealed to each rshika)
aditi 4.18
aditirdakshayani 10.72
apala atreyi 8.91
indrani 10.86
urvashi 10.85
godha 10.134
gosha kakshivati 10.39, 10.40
juhurbramhajaya 10.109
tvashta garbhakarta 10.184
dakshina prajapatya 10.107
yami 10.154
yami vaivasvati 10.10
ratrirbharadvaji 10.127
lopamudra 1.171
vasukrapatni 10.28
vagambhrni 10.125
vishvavara atreyi 5.28
sashvatyangirasi 8.1
shradhda kamayani 10.151
shachi paulomi 10.159
sarparajni 10.189
sikata nivavari 9.86
surya savitri 10.85
romasha 1.126
sarama devashuni 10.108
shikhandinyava
psarasau 9.104
kashyapan
jarita sharngah 10.142
suditirangirasah 8.71
indra mataro 10.153
Hmm... I have read otherwise:
It is a traditional and common misconception that a considerable number of Ṛgvedic hymns were composed by women. This amounts to some twenty female figures that have been regarded as Ṛgvedic Ṛṣis, ever since the “index” to the Ṛgveda, the late Vedic1 Sarvānukramaṇī, was composed, supposedly by Kātyāyana.

The tradition regarding Ṛgveda authors has been very strong. It is a custom even today to mention the author, (meters and deities) before starting to recite a Ṛgvedic hymn.2 However, we have to distinguish the traditional authors of the hymns from those actually preserved in the body of the text. The two sets frequently do not overlap. I cannot go into this matter in detail (see EJVS 7-2), suffice it to say that all statements in the Anukramaṇī must be regarded with a healthy dose of suspicion. Especially as far as RV 10 is concerned, clear invention of authors is easily visible. The method frequently used is to take up obvious names of some person or allusions to them found in the body of the hymn and make them the authors — even if it concerns such abstract concepts as śraddhā “trust, belief” (RV 10.125).

Though female authors and interlocutors are, prima facie at least, not entirely absent from the Vedas, the role of 'literate' women in the Ṛgveda will have to be re-evaluated. We have to distinguish, of course, between mere interlocutors in the hymns from actual authors, though women speaking such verses have habitually been made authors of these stanzas by the Anukramaṇī (see below for details).

In the sequel, we will take a closer look at the various types of alleged female Ṛsis, starting with obviously absurd cases, such as goddesses as authors.
source
I cannot read this article in full because I have no access, but I read the same about this matter earlier in a book about Indian history (in German).

Satyamavejayanti

Hmm... I have read otherwise:

source
I cannot read this article in full because I have no access, but I read the same about this matter earlier in a book about Indian history (in German).

I don't have access to that site as well, so its just a statement with no proof to me.

Please don't read Indian History from non Indians, especially regarding scriptures.

Every mantra of the four Vedas was revealed to a human being called as a rishi or rishika when he/she was in a meditative state, the word rishika (feminine gender) is proof in it self, In the Rigveda, Samaveda and Atharvaveda, the names of the rishis or rishikas associated with the mantras in the sukta or hymn are listed in the heading along with the names of the metres associated with the mantras.

In Rig Veda Samhita like the hymn (10.125) (tenth mandala, 125 sukta or hymn) is attributed to the woman sage Vak Ambrini (Feminine name).
There are more than thirty women sages in RV with specific hymns associated
with them.

some orthodox persons deny the right of chanting the Veda to
women. However, they cannot cite any authoritative scripture to support their views. Any book in Sanskrit cannot be accepted as a scripture or divine revelation.

And if we look at what the Vedas say about women, we can get a clear picture of what their status was during that time.

(Atharvaveda-Hindi Bhashya, Part 2, Author: Kshemkarandas Trivedi, Sarvadeshik Arya Pratinidhi Sabha, Delhi, Page 413-414)

Atharva 11.5.18

Girls should train themselves to become complete scholars and youthful through Brahmcharya and then enter married life.

(Atharvaveda-Hindi Bhashya, Part 2, Author: Kshemkarandas Trivedi, Sarvadeshik Arya Pratinidhi Sabha, Delhi, Page 654)

Atharva 14.1.6

Parents should gift their daughter intellectuality and power of knowledge when she leaves for husband’s home. They should give her a dowry of knowledge.

and also,

Rigveda 1.164.41: The woman who masters and teaches all the Vedas brings bliss in entire society.

Rigveda 7.40.7: Scholarly woman that possess noble qualities should educate all women and bring happiness everywhere.

Rigveda 2.41.17: A scholarly woman, the entire life of society depends upon you. You provide us the right knowledge. May you bring knowledge to all segments of society.

Atharvaveda 7.57.1: Whenever I am hurt by meanness of world or misunderstanding with others, a scholarly woman heals my wounds. (Because women possess the soft skills and emotional intelligence that is not naturally and easily available to men.)

so its clear to me that if women were elevated in the Vedic society then they are most likely to have been inspired by Ishwar of some mantra in Vedas.
And Ishwar is not partial, it inspires all humans regardless of sex.

Satyamavejayanti

I do not know whether it is ordained by the scriptures. As to when it was introduced i am unaware of but i did find a mention of it in the Sabha Parva of Mahabharata. The wife of Yudhisthira named Draupadi was dragged by a Kuru prince to the assembly of warriors while she was in her season. It's a Hindu custom to touch the feet and seek blessings from elders when you first meet them every day. Draupadi requested the prince not to force her to the assembly because she was in her season and so she can't even touch the feet of her elders and seek blessings. So it cannot be denied that it was part of Hindu tradition.
Further when the Kuru prince tried to disrobe her in the assembly it was Krishna the supreme Lord who came to her aid and supplied a never ending stream of clothing. Though he was the supreme Lord certainly he was not disgusted. Draupadi was one of his dearest devotee and he rushed in to help her never thinking whether she was in her season.

Hmm, maybe its just a woman thing. My wife thinks in similar ways, no matter how much i try to convince her that its ok to do Pooja during menstrual cycle, she does not believe me, she refuses to go into the pooja room even.
But i always respect her wishes.

And we could take the Mahabharata incident as a lesson that Ishwar is not disgusted by something that is a natural process, i wonder if the Kurus were not made aware that Draupadi was in season, hence this whole debacle would not have happened, that is if this was a tradition, they would have known not to drag her, but i guess that was the precursor to the war.