• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women and men: Your bill of rights

Mercy Not Sacrifice

I hereby declare, in open defiance of patriarchal gender roles, the often unclaimed rights that both women and men posess, which for no reason should be taken away. Take them; embrace them; love them; for no man or woman should render your inherent rights null and void. Women, yours first, and then we'll get to the men's list--it might surprise you. :)

Women:
1. You have the right to make the same salary that a man would at your job.
2. "No" means "no." Period, end of discussion.
3. Insofar as it affects your chances of being raped, you have the right to wear or not wear anything you choose, even in public, even in mixed company.
4. You have the right to get angry and p***ed off.
5. You have the right to take control of the situation.
6. Becoming pregnant is not a requirement to carry the pregnancy all the way through.
7. You have the right to express and enjoy your sexuality in the company of consenting adults.
8. You have the right to participate in sports, including "violent" sports.
9. In the right setting, you have the right to use whatever the hell language that you want.
10. You have the right not to feel sorry for someone who treats you with no respect.
11. You have the right to put forth your opinion and have it hold as much weight as a man's would.
12. You have the right to make rational decisions based solely on facts and not personal feelings.
13. You have the right to exercise these rights without being branded as a lesbian. Of course, if you are a lesbian, you have the right to that as well.

Men:
1. You have the right to not push your way to the top of the corporate ladder and crush anyone in the way.
2. You have the right to be attracted to girls by things other than the size of their breasts or their butts.
3. You have the right to not have your sexual status determine your social status.
4. You have the right to cry.
5. If it's not something you really have to manage, you have the right to relinquish control of a situation.
6. You have the right to desire to spend time with your kids. If you have no kids, you have the right to desire to be a father.
7. You have the right to desire to mentor children without being branded as a pedophile.
8. You have the right to advocate peaceable, non-violent solutions.
9. You have the right to use intelligent language and not just "locker-room talk."
10. You have the right to feel sympathy for even the world's worst offender.
11. You have the right to have someone else serve as your advocate.
12. You have the right to make decisions that keep personal feelings in regard, not just the brute facts.
13. You have the right to exercise these rights without being branded as "gay." Of course, if you are gay, you have the right to that as well.

Know them, love them, live them. And feel free to add to these lists!

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
I would make the following changes.
>Women:
>1. You have the right to make the same salary that a man would at your job.
Does that include perferencial treatment? like no heavy lifting?
>6. Becoming pregnant is not a requirement to carry the pregnancy all the way through.
Does that include the right to demand child support payments even if the male did not want the child? knowing there is a possibly of financial entrapment?

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Pardus said:
I would make the following changes.
>Women:
>1. You have the right to make the same salary that a man would at your job.
Does that include perferencial treatment? like no heavy lifting?
>6. Becoming pregnant is not a requirement to carry the pregnancy all the way through.
Does that include the right to demand child support payments even if the male did not want the child? knowing there is a possibly of financial entrapment?

Only two posts later and we already have our first defensive reaction! That sure didn't take long.

Anyway, I'm not even going to address these points, because this thread is not for those who advocate the retraction of human rights. It's a celebration FOR the rights of women and men, and that, my friend, is something that rhetoric will no longer stop us from doing.

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
Mercy Not Sacrifice said:
Anyway, I'm not even going to address these points, because this thread is not for those who advocate the retraction of human rights. It's a celebration FOR the rights of women and men, and that, my friend, is something that rhetoric will no longer stop us from doing.
How was i trying to retract human rights? I was meaning to remove imbalences within your own rhetoric.

P.S Don't want to debate, do not post such things in a debate forum.

Ciscokid

Pardus said:

I've tried to make this point before but I got boo'd and hiss'd. I still think it's a valid point.

Ciscokid

*see's the feminist stormtroopers marching into thread armed to the teeth with appears to be adult toys and cattle prods*

Hey guys.....heh heh....take it easy now....

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
Ciscokid said:
*see's the feminist stormtroopers marching into thread armed to the teeth with appears to be adult toys and cattle prods*

Why do we have to be "partisan" on this issue.

Either you are a (male or female) feminist who advocates more rights for women (than for men) or a traditionalist (who believe all female feminists are lesbian)???

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Ciscokid said:

While there may be some extreme feminists, I think that most feminists are not extreme.

One of the best things about the feminist movement is that it is also fighting for the liberation of men from the entrapment of traditional gender roles: a point that I think the original post was making. C'mon guys! We can have emotions, too!

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Guitar's Cry said:
While there may be some extreme feminists, I think that most feminists are not extreme.

One of the best things about the feminist movement is that it is also fighting for the liberation of men from the entrapment of traditional gender roles: a point that I think the original post was making. C'mon guys! We can have emotions, too!

I agree, men often trap themselves within their own gender roles, and can find it difficult to even think outside of it. Of course, the same can be said of women and their gender roles as well.

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
Ciscokid said:
My humor isn't always understood. :no:
I realised it was humour, i am just trying to encourage debate, noone is willing to touch the issue i'm bringing up because i might be right.

gnomon

Mercy Not Sacrifice said:
Only two posts later and we already have our first defensive reaction! That sure didn't take long.

That's a bit duck and cover.