• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women and clothing

ruthp765

:help:Hi everyone, I am new here and this is only my second thread.
So I am exploring religions and I am very interested in Islam. I find the concept of the religion makes a lot of sense and I admire how they are so dedicated to their religion. I have written some of my thoughts in my other thread. But for the sake of this thread I want to focus on the dress that women are expected to adopt.
In the past 9months I have stopped wearing short skirts and low tops and I would consider that for a western girl I dress very modestly. But when I look around I see many muslims who now adopt a very western style of dress.
The issue I have is that if I convert I dont want to think that I am causing a sin or I am going to be punished when I die because I didnt cover up. I feel that if I am a good person and I am committed and faithful, do I really need to display my religion publicly. For me religion is not about showing the world what I believe but making sure I am a good person with it.
Please dont get me wrong its not that I dont want people to know and I would not be ashamed of my religion, I just dont think its an important issue.
What does everyone else think??:help:

Last edited:

Abu Rashid

as-salaamu alaykum ruth,

I understand how you feel, as I had a similar apprehension before embracing Islam. I was worried that if I embraced Islam, and was unable to live up to it's requirements then that would be bad. But what was worse was me continuing to live as a non-Muslim. Even as a Muslim who didn't fulfill everything, I would have been better off. Alhamdulilah, once I embraced Islam, I didn't have any trouble, as it strengthened me immensely and gave me the inspiration to make sweeping changes in my life anyway.

As far as dress goes, I think it's important to keep in mind that dress in Islam is not really about displaying our religion or not. Clothing is not a symbolism, except by people who stereotype others according to their dress. Clothing laws in Islam are purely about making sure we protect our modesty and cover ourselves in a way that protects our sanctity as human beings, rather than being merely "eye candy" for the opposite sex.

Hope that helps some way to resolving the issues you're faced with.

wasalam, and may the creator of us all guide you into the mercy of al-Islam.

ruthp765

Thanks for your post... seems like your the only one who wishes to discuss it :). I will probably have more questions for you at some point I just need some time to think of them all, hope thats ok

Thanks again :)

fatima_bintu_islam

I want to discuss it too :)

Well Ive been waiting to see a green light from you so I can send you the message Ive told you about in the PM so alhamdulillah it seems Ive found the right thread to post , this is a message from a sister of mine who is a revert too:

When I'm asked why women must cover more than men I mention first that Allah created us and therefore knows us best -inshaAllah that is calling to tawheed first. And although men are women are equal in front of Him, He has ordained different rules for the sexes for a reason and Allah knows best what they are. Yes, men should lower their gaze and that no matter what a woman wears she has the right to walk around unmolested. And while it is also true that we should be able to leave our doors and windows unlocked at home, the truth is that there are criminals who will abuse that trust and therefore we must protect ourselves by both locking our homes and covering ourselves.

Also, in regards to the hijab. It is ordained by Allah for women to cover, and Allah knows best our abilities; some sisters cover right after saying their shahadah and some it takes a while. If a woman doesn't cover yes, it is wrong. But Allah promises if a Muslim repents from a sin, He will forgive that person and then he/she may go to Paradise inshaAllah. But if a person doesn't even become a Muslim, after knowing about Islam, then how can that person ever enter Paradise? Better to be a sinning Muslim than not a Muslim at all. This is not to say that we should not strive to do the best we can, just that Allah's Mercy outweighs His Wrath.

For me it took about three months after my shahadah to cover all but the hands and face, and then another six months for niqab. I started with covering in loose clothes all but my hair, first in loose trousers and long top, then long skirts, then covering my hair sometimes, then all the time, then wearing abaya and scarf, then that plus niqab (which I believe is mustahabb). And it was a really hard struggle because all my life I've been taught to dress/make-up/perfume to go out, we are taught to dress to attract men. It was a notch on your blet to see how manymen look at you when you walk past - a proof of how pretty you are (lol at that because self-worth comes from the inside, not from other's validation). It's funny I was able to accept polygyny before I entered Islam, and although I knew hijab was a must, I couldn't do it straight away. Allah knows I still struggle with my nafs about this so actually niqab is a better option for me.

The reason I started to cover my hair and ditch the pants in favour of a skirt, was I found it hypocritical to put on more clothes for salah to pray to Allah (Allah that is able to see us everywhere - bathroom, toilet) and then take them off again to walk in the street. SubhanAllah I felt shy and hence covered properly for salah, yet less modest to walk around uncovered in front of men! I'm not one for cognitive dissonance so once I realised this I covered more appropriately thereafter. And that's why it is so important to emphasise the importance of salah (and all its aspects like khushoo) above all else to new Muslims, because the closer we are to Allah, the more likely we are to follow His religion of Islam.

And Allah knows best.

The niqab part is an optional practice not an obligatory one.
Oh and the lady made prayers for you that ALlah azza wajjal enlighten your heart with the light of Islam that she enjoyed herself :)

Yours
Fatima Zahrae :)

fatima_bintu_islam

Also, Ill quote from the message Ive sent from thebrother I told you about

I want to share a narration about the prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) with you. He sent Mooath Ibn Jabal to Yemen to call the people to Islam. Mooath was a friend and companion of the Prophet known for his religious knowledge and intelligence. Look at these instructions how the Prophet took into account the specifics of the situation and how Mooath should approach the nation he was being sent to. It is almost as if he could have been sending him to America! He instructed him with this:

'...You are going to a nation from the people of the Scripture [ie: Christian] , so let the first thing to which you will invite them, be the Tauhid of Allah [this means monotheism that Allaah is one with no sons or partners and that they should only worship him]. If they learn that, tell them that Allah has enjoined on them, five prayers to be offered in one day and one night. And if they pray, tell them that Allah has enjoined on them Zakat of their properties and it is to be taken from the rich among them and given to the poor. And if they agree to that, then take from them Zakat but avoid the best property of the people...'

So here the Prophet (peace be upon him) is telling him to firstly call them to Islam and teach them. Then if they accept tell them to pray and help them in that. Then if they do that, tell them to pay the zakat (2.5 percent on certain types of wealth to be given to the poor). And notice he said 'but avoid the best property of the people'. He said this so that Mooath didn't upset these new Muslims by taking their best property. Perhaps they still were getting used to the concept of giving the poor due and he didn't want Mooath to upset them and turn them away from Islam. Notice also the gradual approach the Prophet (peace be upon him) instructed Mooath with? So this is the same for yourself, firstly to accept Islam then begin learning then to begin trying to pray and then maybe other things but slowly, slowly. This will be easier especially with the Muslim community behind you and often they are very helpful and supportive as that is our duty.

One tribe came to the Prophet (peace be upon him) and said 'Oh Muhammad we will do everything you command except this [and they named a specific deed]' So the Prophet allowed them this and allowed them to enter into Islam. The companions of the Prophet were confused by this and they asked how can you allow them to reject a certain command? So the Prophet (peace be upon him) said 'don't worry they will do it when the sweetness of faith enters their hearts'. So also you must take into account, your heart isn't your own. Once you accept Islam and find this beautiful sublime feeling of peace and tranquillity, and that it only increases the more you practise Islam, you will find progression and going into Islam easier.

Yours
Fatima Zahrae :)

ConfusedKuri

In my opinion there is absolutely no clear statement that hijab is farz. It was merely a practice and it continued so gradually people came up with the idea of it being farz. I also heard the hadith that supposedly stated it was farz was quite weak.

Sometimes it takes logical thought, why would a woman in today's world be required to cover up? It makes no sense to me, on the contrary it completely sexualises a female's body.

AishaRayann

Islam <3r
Personaly I don't like Muslim women who dress in Western clothes..to me its say I forgot my culture and religion. I'm a white Muslim revert..conservative view..I wear abaya (muslim dress).. best place to order from is eastessence com they custom make height and size..order 2 sizes bigger.. ..i order simple colors plain..black,brown,dark purple...they have pockets :D they have fancier ones than the ones i got..also have indian tunic tops..u can wear with skirt..take a look at them see if u like the style..i wear Khimar..i find it more simple to wear than hijab..i like hijab..hijab fine..its just most hijabs dont cover the back of my neck good or my neck/chest in front..Good Luck on ur religious journey may Islam be what u looking for Ameen

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is an old thread, but since it was revived, I just want to state that there is nothing wrong with wearing "western" clothing as a Muslim woman. So long as it's conservative and modest...it doesn't have to be Arab, Pakistani, Indian, etc. Cultural dress is separate from religious dress. :)

Union

This is an old thread, but since it was revived, I just want to state that there is nothing wrong with wearing "western" clothing as a Muslim woman. So long as it's conservative and modest...it doesn't have to be Arab, Pakistani, Indian, etc. Cultural dress is separate from religious dress. :)

Very good comment . It doesn't matter what type of dress it is , but it matters that you are concern about your modesty and save you from personal and social decay (e.g., rape , sexual-harassment,sexual-excitation, teasing etc.) . All the related verses about women dress code are purposed to save the society and women from these sorts of chaos.

[007:026] O children of Adam! We have indeed sent down to you clothing to cover your shame, and (clothing) for beauty and clothing that guards (against evil), that is the best. This is of the communications of Allah that they may be mindful.

[024:031] And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands' fathers, or their sons or their husbands' sons, or their brothers or their brothers' sons or sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigour, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed.

[033:059] O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognized and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.

tarekabdo12

Hijab is covering your body except the face and hands. The aim is to reach a balance between the physical of the body and the brain and souls need for non-materialistic virtues which hold a great effect on humans' happiness and satisfaction. God created women to be soft , beautiful and attractive. This is something great and fascinating, however this sexual attractiveness can be misused. Instead of being in a relation with man who loves and treats a woman as a part of his sole, this sexual beauty and attractiveness-if not put in the right position- may convert women to a game for males, playing with it like a dead body. A body at which men look, have sex with then leave it. This will cancel the great relation that was designed by God, actually considered in islam, Christianity and Judaism as a holy relation.

Well for Muslim women the dress should be modest, have grace and care for dignity, It should cover your body parts that are not allowed to be shown or prominent. Hairs should be covered to separate you from non Muslims, you can show your face and hands to others. Once you start that you find it much difficult.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well for Muslim women the dress should be modest, have grace and care for dignity, It should cover your body parts that are not allowed to be shown or prominent. Hairs should be covered to separate you from non Muslims, you can show your face and hands to others. Once you start that you find it much difficult.

Why do people say this? Why do we want to "look" different than non-Muslims? Does it really benefit women in the West? I'm not questioning wearing the hijab, I'm questioning the intention you posted.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
I have a question about clothing. I try to dress more modestly, especially at work, but find that in summer I get way to hot - any tips on how to wear long sleeves and stay cool?!

When I say modestly, I mean not wearing very low cut tops, and I always cover my upper arms because I think they are ugly.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
linen and cotton is your friend. :D

I've found that wearing light colored un-restricting clothing (I'm not talking about super baggy clothes, but tunics, etc.) keeps me cooler than exposing my skin to the sun. I'm olive complexion, so I'm the light weight of the clothing helps. :)

ssainhu because we are Muslims and we have this privileged that no one can see our beauty. this is being superior to non Muslims. if we dress same like non Muslims then whats the different between us and them.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
ssainhu because we are Muslims and we have this privileged that no one can see our beauty. this is being superior to non Muslims. if we dress same like non Muslims then whats the different between us and them.

Where did I say to dress inappropriately? She asked what type of clothes she could wear and not be hot and I told her that lightweight clothes would help.

You most certainly CAN wear Western clothing and still fulfill the requirements; I do every day.

Why do we always insist on being so "different" from everyone? It's not like all non-Muslims are somehow "beneath" us...The "us versus them" mantra is useless. I don't like that attitude; it makes them dislike us.

Well dear you are right. we can wear jeans and long coats with head scarf as well. and more we can wear skirts and coat ... you are right but the scarf make us different as well.

Wasp

In my opinion there is absolutely no clear statement that hijab is farz. It was merely a practice and it continued so gradually people came up with the idea of it being farz. I also heard the hadith that supposedly stated it was farz was quite weak.
It's clearly in the Qur'an.

Translations by Wahiduddin Khan:

24:31 "Say to believing women that they should lower their gaze and remain chaste and not to reveal their adornmentssave what is normally apparent thereof, and they should fold their shawls over their bosoms. They can only reveal their adornments to their husbands or their fathers or their husbands fathers, or their sons or their husbands sons or their brothers or their brothers sons or their sisters sons or maidservants or those whom their right hands possess or their male attendants who have no sexual desire or children who still have no carnal knowledge of women. Nor should they swing their legs to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. Believers, turn to God, every one of you, so that you may prosper."

(here the translation is misleading. Literal translation of that part is "And let them their head covers over their bosoms," yet even that doesn't say half of what the Arabic text does.)

33:59 "O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and wives of the believers that they should draw over themselves some of their outer garments [when in public], so as to be recognized and not harmed. God is most forgiving and most merciful."

59:7 "whatever gains God has assigned to His Messenger from the inhabitants of the town is for God and for the Messenger and for his kinsfolk and for orphans and the needy and the wayfarer, so that they may not become the property of those of you who are rich. Whatever the Messenger gives you, take it; and whatever he forbids you, abstain from it. Fear God; surely, God is severe in retribution."
Personaly I don't like Muslim women who dress in Western clothes..to me its say I forgot my culture and religion.
Islam isn't about culture.
Muslims are warned against dressing like the unbelievers. The western dress automatically shows the shape of the body more or less. Usually more.
God created women to be soft , beautiful and attractive.
Hopefully one day Muslim men won't so often use just these three words to describe Muslim women.
The hair isn't covered to separate one from non-Muslims even though this is one of its advantages.
Why do people say this? Why do we want to "look" different than non-Muslims? Does it really benefit women in the West? I'm not questioning wearing the hijab, I'm questioning the intention you posted.
Because we have been ordered to not imitate the unbelievers. Also because their clothing simply doesn't fill the criteria.
Well dear you are right. we can wear jeans and long coats with head scarf as well. and more we can wear skirts and coat ... you are right but the scarf make us different as well.
the coat would have to be very long and very wide. So an abaya would probably be more attractive to look at, in a good way.

A skirt and a coat won't do. Those expose the shape of the body too much.

EnsignRo

A skirt and a coat won't do. Those expose the shape of the body too much.
It depends on the cut of the coat. Not all coats are made to emphasise the woman's curves.
As long as women dress modestly then that is all that matters. Also this is my own interpretation and I don't mean to cause offence

Last edited: