• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman in Islam

jay28

Woman in Islam
The role of women in Islam has been misunderstood in the West because of general ignorance of the Islamic system and way of life as a whole, and because of the distortions of the media.
The Muslim woman is accorded full spiritual and intellectual equality with man, and is encouraged to practice her religion and develop her intellectual faculties throughout her life. In her relations with men both are to observe modesty of behavior and dress and a strict code of morality which discourages unnecessary mixing of the sexes. Her relations with her husband should be based on mutual love and compassion. He is responsible for the maintenance of the wife and children, and she is to give him the respect due to the head of the family. She is responsible for the care of home and the children's early training. She may own her own property, run her own business and inherit in her own right.
She may not be married without being consulted and is able to obtain divorce. The system of limited polygamy can be seen to have its uses which may be in the interests of women as well as men. Finally she can look forward to an old age in which she is respected and shown every care by her children and by the society as a whole.
It would appear therefore that the Islamic system has achieved the right mixture of freedom and security that women seek and that is in the interest of the society as a whole. [As I mentioned at the start of this paper,] I have given the relevant quotations directly from the Qur'an and hadith since these are obviously the most authentic sources. If at different times and in different places these principles and laws have sometimes been distorted, ignored or flouted, it is not the principles and laws which are at fault, but man's selfishness which sometimes leads them to distort, ignore and flout what they do not like, and turn aside from the truth.
Fortunately no one has changed or can change the words of the Qur'an, and the regulations for the protection of women which were revealed in the 7th century can be easily verified by anyone in the 20th century, as we have just been doing. I believe that these laws and social regulations regarding women contain certain fundamental truths which will benefit whoever applies them. The present time of widespread rethinking of the role and rights of women is perhaps the appropriate time to look with fresh eyes at the Islamic point of view, which has contributed to the formation of stable societies in both sophisticated and underdeveloped peoples in vast areas of the world over the past fourteen centuries, which has retained the continuity of its principles, and from which the Western world may have something to learn.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Very nice post. :)

There is something you mention that I would like to comment on:

"The Muslim woman is accorded full spiritual and intellectual equality with man, and is encouraged to practice her religion and develop her intellectual faculties throughout her life."

Has anyone else noticed that women's rights, in a modern sense (being able to drive, to vote, to live a more free and happy life) have all been connected to religion?

In a lot of Muslim countries women never really went to mosque. They never really studied Islam. They followed things like fasting during Ramadan, and so on, but you wouldn't go to a mosque and see hundreds of women praying devoutly.

As that has changed, women's rights have increased. In Bosnia today, women go to mosque. That's a new thing. Just 200 years ago, you'd find maybe 100 women if added together everyone at every mosque in the country on a Friday evening. Now we know the prayers, we go and we pray with the men, we study Islam ourselves, we're more religious than we used to be.

And at the same time, our rights are improving.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
I think Egypt is another good example of this, Bahrain too - for those who cannot relate to the Bosnian experience, since visibly we're so European.

Laila

well done, good first post.
More and more women are studying the Quran and fighting for their Islamic rights and separating culture from religion. I am a firm believer that liberty and rights comes from within and by Islam. Unfortunately, women are not really given their rights in many muslim countries - sorry if I've put a downer on things, only it's a reality we need to face.

Mila, I found it very refreshing to read about the situation in Bosnia, you may want to watch this programme (obviously the way it is filmed is biased- whatever ever makes good TV I guess!) I found quite a lot of appalling, bearing in mind that this group has been fighting for their rights for seven years!

http://www.mpacuk.org/content/view/2994/34/

Laila

This is a article that briefly describes how women are mistreated in the name of religion i.e. Muslim men - fathers, brothers, husbands, etc. are using religion as an excuse to abuse women. This article is good because the Non-Muslim writer points out the various examples of abuse but concludes firmly, that what these Muslim men are doing is against Islam.

http://www.themodernreligion.com/index2.html

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Djamila said:
Has anyone else noticed that women's rights, in a modern sense (being able to drive, to vote, to live a more free and happy life) have all been connected to religion?

Yes, every Muslim woman has the right to vote, to drive and nobody has the right to prevent her from those right that don't contradict at all the teaching of Islam. And every woman has the right to lead a free and happy life but that freedom must be within the teaching of Islam, as must respect the teaching of Islam in order to guarantee a sound pure Islamic societies free from all type of corruption.

In a lot of Muslim countries women never really went to mosque. They never really studied Islam. They followed things like fasting during Ramadan, and so on, but you wouldn't go to a mosque and see hundreds of women praying devoutly.

Our dear beloved Prophet peace be upon him urged men not to prevent their women from going to mosques. And at his time PBUH used to specify a day to teach women their religion and to answer all their questions. Islam never prevents women from her rights and among them education, for women are equal to men in rights. And our Prophet PBUH says that knowledge acquisition (Al 'ilm) is a must on every man and woman.

Djamila said:
As that has changed, women's rights have increased.

God has never prevented women from their rights. It is society and Man who prevented women from their rights. Islam has given women all their full rights and freedom from the ignorance of Jahiliya and the ignorance of men who are ignorant of the teaching of Islam.

Djamila said:
In Bosnia today, women go to mosque. That's a new thing. Just 200 years ago, you'd find maybe 100 women if added together everyone at every mosque in the country on a Friday evening. Now we know the prayers, we go and we pray with the men, we study Islam ourselves, we're more religious than we used to be.
And at the same time, our rights are improving.

Alhamdulillah!! Good for you :)

Peace