• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

woman in a face veil?

Sakeenah

Salaam.

I applaud the fact that you walk your talk and I applaud pluralistic societies where this is possible.
At the same time, I'm not a big fan of fetishizing 'modesty' and I wonder how you view the unveiled women around you.

Thank you I really appreciate your comment. I belief that every woman should choose what she wants to wear if its a bikini or a niqab. I was unveiled once so I don't judge my sisters in humanity or Islam for not covering. I don't like to be judged for the way I look so I try not to do the same.

For me covering isn't only something physical but its spiritual at the same time.

Kirran

Premium Member
Thanks for sharing ur thoughts..its not really hot underneath because in the summer I wear a abayaa( black/loose dress) made out of light fabric and because the dress isn't see through I can wear sleeveless top and trousers underneath.

There is flexibility in what you can wear but there are general guidelines one follows. You can wear any colour,pattern and face veil isn't obligatory. A few of the guidelines are that you can show your face and hands but the rest should be covered. Clothing shouldnt show the shape of the body.

Why is the outfit so often black? Maybe white would be better in hot weather.

Orange or patterned etc would just be for attention or fashion of course. Which to me defeats the object, somehow, but I can see why some people would do it.

Sakeenah

My opinion of it rests solely on why you're wearing it. Is your husband or father or such making you wear it or are you wearing it purely by choice? If you're being forced, I think it's absolutely disgusting. If you've chosen to wear it and could change your mind and wear something different, then that's great, though I will admit that it is a shame we can't see your pretty face.

I'm not forced to wear it by family.the first time I wore it my mother and father were against it.they were afraid people would be hostile towards me.
I don't think it's obligatory so I don't feel any pressure to wear it but I chose to wear it.

I had an appointment at the hospital and I was alone with a female nurse so I removed my face veil and she said 'its a shame you have to hide your pretty face'..I explained I don't have to..and the most important people in my life (family)can still see my face :)

Sakeenah

Why is the outfit so often black? Maybe white would be better in hot weather.

Orange or patterned etc would just be for attention or fashion of course. Which to me defeats the object, somehow, but I can see why some people would do it.

Yes lighter colours are less hot in the summer but it really depends on the person. I don't really get hot when wearing black in the summer but I have friends who only wear light colours in the summer.so it's just preference

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
To me, it represents something I am strongly against. I cannot imagine why any particular god would be impressed with a woman trotting about veiled head to foot. I really makes no sense, whatsoever. If it is a fashion statement, it is saying quite a bit, but not all of that is terribly pleasant. About the last thing that would enter my mind is that, "Oh, a spiritual being. How sweet."

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I'm not forced to wear it by family.the first time I wore it my mother and father were against it.they were afraid people would be hostile towards me.
I don't think it's obligatory so I don't feel any pressure to wear it but I chose to wear it.

I had an appointment at the hospital and I was alone with a female nurse so I removed my face veil and she said 'its a shame you have to hide your pretty face'..I explained I don't have to..and the most important people in my life (family)can still see my face :)
Well then, that's lovely. No one has any right to make you or tell you to wear one thing or another. So long as you're the one making the decision, by all means do so.

Sakeenah

Personally, I find it offensive. Those who wear it are making a very strong statement that they do not wish to be part of British society: so why are they here?

And of course, there is no justification for it in the Quran, or the Hadith. You don't see it worn by Shia Muslims. As for the Sunni, the Al-Azhar University has issued a fatwa describing it as a local custom and not part of Islam. I therefore associate it with Wahhabi or Salafi teaching, which makes it all the more disturbing. Seeing it in the streets of London, thankfully very rarely, is like seeing someone with label expressing support for Al-Qaida or Da'ish.

Thanks for sharing your honest opinion. I disagree with you..since when does British society have a dress code? Taking part in British society doesn't mean we have to dress the same,have the same religious beliefs. Taking part in British society means that even though I wear a face veil I try to contribute to society in a positive way. It means I respect and abide by the law.
I'm not going to go into a debate about the evidence in the Quran and hadith.. I'll share that in a separate thread in Islam dir.
I think you should just accept that Britain is a multicultural society.
And not every veiled woman supports alqaeda or isis..I probably dislike them as much as you do.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Thank you I really appreciate your comment. I belief that every woman should choose what she wants to wear if its a bikini or a niqab. I was unveiled once so I don't judge my sisters in humanity or Islam for not covering. I don't like to be judged for the way I look so I try not to do the same.

For me covering isn't only something physical but its spiritual at the same time.
Thanks for the response. You strike me as a very special person.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Thanks for sharing your honest opinion. I disagree with you..since when does British society have a dress code? Taking part in British society doesn't mean we have to dress the same,have the same religious beliefs.
Perhaps he meant white Anglican British society.

Sakeenah

To me, it represents something I am strongly against. I cannot imagine why any particular god would be impressed with a woman trotting about veiled head to foot. I really makes no sense, whatsoever. If it is a fashion statement, it is saying quite a bit, but not all of that is terribly pleasant. About the last thing that would enter my mind is that, "Oh, a spiritual being. How sweet."

Thanks for answering..I think a lot of people have this opinion and I can understand it doesn't make sense to you or others but to me it makes perfect sense. :)

Kirran

Premium Member
Thanks for sharing your honest opinion. I disagree with you..since when does British society have a dress code? Taking part in British society doesn't mean we have to dress the same,have the same religious beliefs. Taking part in British society means that even though I wear a face veil I try to contribute to society in a positive way. It means I respect and abide by the law.
I'm not going to go into a debate about the evidence in the Quran and hadith.. I'll share that in a separate thread in Islam dir.
I think you should just accept that Britain is a multicultural society.
And not every veiled woman supports alqaeda or isis..I probably dislike them as much as you do.

Mashallah! The UK's great, isn't it?

Perhaps he meant white Anglican British society.

Actually, Anglicanism is very much minority here too ;)

But we stand by the entrenched youth culture of binge drinking.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Reading these posts, I understand religious covering can strike someone odd. However, how can that be seen as something negative? In Catholic Churches, many wear veils because of humility before Christ. They arent forced to wear it by any deity but Choose to because of the love and respect they have for their deity.

I see this expression when worn seriously, when a pagan wears his or her pentacle. To me, it reminds me of the relation I have with the earth, though symbolic, and that with my mother who too as a pentacle ring. Its no different in a spiritual sense from shaving ones hair and giving possesions in Buddhists sects.

I admire people who are spiritually devoted (not just believe) and act in their devotion. Its showing love they have for life, outside as well as in.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Thanks for answering my question :)..most Muslim women I know who wear the face veil here in the UK do it out of their own free will..but of course there are some that are forced to wear it by husbands and I disagree wit forcing a woman to wear a headscarf or face veil. True most Muslim women who wear the face veil are conservative Muslims but I don't think we have intelorant beliefs. We are just regulars Muslim women who just wear a face veil as an extra deed.
Thanks for your honest reply and I respect ur opinion I understand its odd to you because its something foreign . I don't wear the niqab to hide away..and no man forced me to wear it. I don't have a problem with people looking at me out of curiosity there's not much to see anyways :)

And some very religious people flog themselves with whips. Everyone has to find their own truth.

"Born Eunuch"

Anonymous American Black Male
Hi :)

I wear the niqab..face veil and only the eyes are visible. I've noticed people staring (and I can understand and don't feel offended). But I always wonder what they are thinking.

So

What do you think when you see a woman in a face veil?

And feel free to ask any questions related to the the face veil

I have no particular thoughts...just "a Muslim woman" is what I think when I see women like this:

100916_XXF_Niqab.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

-

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Personally, I find it offensive. Those who wear it are making a very strong statement that they do not wish to be part of British society: so why are they here?

I can understand the sentiment in that statement. But assimilation doesn't mean you loose all your heritage or customs. And the hijab seems to be far more cultural than it is religious. Like if I go to Temple (Hindu) I will often wear either a sari or Shalwar Kameez (Shalwar kameez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia not because it is a religious commandment or even requirement, but because to do so is imbued with deeply ingrained cultural connotations. Occasionally my cousin will wear it as part of everyday garments. I don't, I feel more comfortable in shorts and a T Shirt because I'm a dag.

Still both outfits are not traditionally Anglo Saxon, but wearing either or out of choice doesn't mean I'm necessarily making a statement against Australia or rejecting it as my home. The beauty of the West is unlike some nations, it gives you the freedom to keep your culture and find a new one at the same time.

Sakeenah

I can understand the sentiment in that statement. But assimilation doesn't mean you loose all your heritage or customs. And the hijab seems to be far more cultural than it is religious. Like if I go to Temple (Hindu) I will often wear either a sari or Shalwar Kameez (Shalwar kameez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia not because it is a religious commandment or even requirement, but because to do so is imbued with deeply ingrained cultural connotations. Occasionally my cousin will wear it as part of everyday garments. I don't, I feel more comfortable in shorts and a T Shirt because I'm a dag.

Still both outfits are not traditionally Anglo Saxon, but wearing either or out of choice doesn't mean I'm necessarily making a statement against Australia or rejecting it as my home. The beauty of the West is unlike some nations, it gives you the freedom to keep your culture and find a new one at the same time.

I agree with keeping my culture and beliefs but finding a new one at the same time.I may be a conservative Muslim in dress and beliefs. But to the east African/arab elders in my family I'm more western then east African/Arab. They are referring to language,opinions etc.

Sakeenah

I have always thought that the reason they wear this ugly thing is because their ugly ??.

That comment always make lol..I think we wear it because you can't handle our beauty.

Muslimwomen who wear it are just like other women..you have those who are beautiful and others who aren't.there are those who are into fashion and others who aren't.

btw beauty is in the eyes of the beholder whats beautiful to you may be ugly to me.