• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woke Superman

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Simple solution. Make a new character. Everybody is happy.
It *is* a new character. Literally Clark's son.

Although LGBT interpretations of existing characters has also been a thing since the silver age. Anyone who thought Venom was too homoerotic, for example, has clearly never read the comics.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Lois Lane is Superman's love interest lest this modern generation wreaks things even more.

What's next? Lois Lane goes transsexual?

My tongue is somewhat in my cheek here, but this Superman is the son of the original Superman you know and love. Man, does that take on some new connotations now.
In any case, if this Superman has a love interest in Lois Lane that may be problematic, since I assume Lois is his mum. Or mom, if you're not from civilisation.

:)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Although LGBT interpretations of existing characters has also been a thing since the silver age. Anyone who thought Venom was too homoerotic, for example, has clearly never read the comics.
Finally! Someone who knows their comic book history.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
They’re never happy. I’ve seen people get mad at She Hulk even though she’s been a character since like the 80s. And indeed was breaking the fourth wall long before Deadpool entered the scene
And okay Batwoman wasn’t great but she was an original character and people still threw massive temper tantrums
This isn’t even unique to comics. There was a gender swapped Invisible Man movie made in like the 40s ffs. The Invisible Woman was literally made as a sequel back then.
The “go woke go broke” crowd seemingly refuses to recognise long established trends in entertainment as a whole.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invisible_Woman_(1940_film)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/She-Hulk

You and your damn facts...

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It surprises me it was Superman. I mean why not Batman and Robin?

Two guys hanging out with each other all the time in tight tights?..... gotta had raised some eyebrows speculating here and there....

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member

Two guys hanging out with each other all the time in tight tights?..... gotta had raised some eyebrows speculating here and there....
Wait. Batman and Robin are straight? Since when?? ;)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
My tongue is somewhat in my cheek here, but this Superman is the son of the original Superman you know and love. Man, does that take on some new connotations now.
In any case, if this Superman has a love interest in Lois Lane that may be problematic, since I assume Lois is his mum. Or mom, if you're not from civilisation.

:)
Unless it was the Mandala effect, I would swear Lois was working at the paper with Jimmy Olsen....

His mother was much older.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Unless it was the Mandala effect, I would swear Lois was working at the paper with Jimmy Olsen....

No this new bi superman the OP is referencing and indeed is being discussed isn’t Clark Kent. It’s Lois’ and Clark Kent’s son. Jon Kent
So if he was having a romantic relationship with Lois, well, better call Freud. Because there’s some Oedipus crap happening :eek:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

There's been some bisexual interpretations of Batmam but rarely Batmam and Robin because they're usually written as father and (adopted) son and that's pretty squick.

George Cloony said he intentionally played Batman as a gay man.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Per @SomeRandom response, this is Jon, not Clark. A new person filling the role of Superman. Superman junior, as it were.

Superman is straight, slept with Lois, had a kid (Jon).
Jon grew up and decided to work in the family business (ie. became Superman). He also came to the realisation that he was bisexual.
Hopefully this was a developed story. I'm somewhat suspicious of that, but at the same time, I'd be totally guessing.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Per @SomeRandom response, this is Jon, not Clark. A new person filling the role of Superman. Superman junior, as it were.

Superman is straight, slept with Lois, had a kid (Jon).
Jon grew up and decided to work in the family business (ie. became Superman). He also came to the realisation that he was bisexual.
Hopefully this was a developed story. I'm somewhat suspicious of that, but at the same time, I'd be totally guessing.
I’m pretty sure it’s a developed storyline. I’m more of a Batman fan personally. But from what I’ve heard it’s a very sweet storyline.
These headlines are just that. Headlines designed to sell clicks.

Legacy Characters are an easy out for comics. They can explore various iterations of a character without sacrificing the original, in a sense.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m pretty sure it’s a developed storyline. I’m more of a Batman fan personally. But from what I’ve heard it’s a very sweet storyline.
These headlines are just that. Headlines designed to sell clicks.

Legacy Characters are an easy out for comics. They can explore various iterations of a character without sacrifice the original, in a sense.

Yup. I threw away the idea of a single coherent storyline in comics when I was about 12. I really liked how explicit with that the Spiderman : Into the Multiverse movie was, actually.
As a (complete hack) writer, I try to work out why people in my stories are behaving as they do. So even where a story is not explicitly talking about the reason something makes a character tense, I'd have a pretty good idea. I'm kinda playacting it in my head.
And if a complete hack like me is doing that, something as major as a client's sexuality shouldn't be a gear shift moment.

Also, writing characters of a different sexual preference than yourself is a little challenging. I've been trying to kinda do the teen coming out thing in a story and my assumption is I'm ham-fisting it, and I'll need assistance from LGBT types at some point.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Simple solution. Make a new character. Everybody is happy.

Personally, I never understood the fascination with Superman and why any comic distributor or entertainment medium would feel the need to "remake" the characters all the time.

It's just like with Jar Jar Abrams and Star Trek. They had The Original Series and the characters therein, but they had to remake it? Why? Especially when so many other new characters and original storylines could be derived from the Star Trek universe. They don't need to remake the same characters.

The only real "Superman" in my view was played by George Reeves in the Superman TV series. That's the one I grew up with. I sort of liked Superman and Superman II with Christopher Reeve, but that was around the time I grew out of Superman anyway. I read a few of the comics, but I never really got into them as some people do.

I'm glad that Charles Schulz decided not to let anyone continue writing "Peanuts," because that would be a travesty.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Yup. I threw away the idea of a single coherent storyline in comics when I was about 12. I really liked how explicit with that the Spiderman : Into the Multiverse movie was, actually.
As a (complete hack) writer, I try to work out why people in my stories are behaving as they do. So even where a story is not explicitly talking about the reason something makes a character tense, I'd have a pretty good idea. I'm kinda playacting it in my head.
And if a complete hack like me is doing that, something as major as a client's sexuality shouldn't be a gear shift moment.

Also, writing characters of a different sexual preference than yourself is a little challenging. I've been trying to kinda do the teen coming out thing in a story and my assumption is I'm ham-fisting it, and I'll need assistance from LGBT types at some point.
Oh yeah the Into the Spiderverse movie was awesome. That should be like the gold standard for doing legacy characters. What’s more, the movie was the epitome of “woke.” All sorts of diverse characters and even portrayed the OG Spidey as kind of incompetent. Which was actually kind of interesting and done in a way that wasn’t insulting.
Guess Sony didn’t listen to the “Go Woke, Go Broke” mantra lol.

But yeah motivations are always a key factor when determining good character writing

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Personally, I never understood the fascination with Superman and why any comic distributor or entertainment medium would feel the need to "remake" the characters all the time.
I take it that you are also deeply puzzled when artists keep coming back to remaking classic theatre plays into Hollywood movies, or revisiting two thousand year old myths from the Graeco-Roman canon?

Creative people tend to enjoy playing around with famous characters everybody knows, and audiences tend to enjoy seeing a new take on familiar material.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
So it turns out that the people on RF most outraged by recent developments in superhero comics apparently haven't touched a comic book for thirty years or more, what a shocking twist that nobody saw coming!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I take it that you are also deeply puzzled when artists keep coming back to remaking classic theatre plays into Hollywood movies, or revisiting two thousand year old myths from the Graeco-Roman canon?

Creative people tend to enjoy playing around with famous characters everybody knows, and audiences tend to enjoy seeing a new take on familiar material.

Well, it depends on how it's done, but some things might be overdone. But if people like it, then it is what it is.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh yeah the Into the Spiderverse movie was awesome. That should be like the gold standard for doing legacy characters. What’s more, the movie was the epitome of “woke.” All sorts of diverse characters and even portrayed the OG Spidey as kind of incompetent. Which was actually kind of interesting and done in a way that wasn’t insulting.
Guess Sony didn’t listen to the “Go Woke, Go Broke” mantra lol.

But yeah motivations are always a key factor when determining good character writing

As a parent of a teenage kid who both likes art, and is interested in superheroes, it was a great movie to watch on many levels.

The two of us ditched the rest of the family and made a night of it. Was fantastic.