• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woke capitalism (click bait)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The OP headline and the story headline are both click-bait. The story itself is different than the headline states.

Jamie Dimon defends ‘woke capitalism,’ saying ‘society is worse off if we don’t lift up everybody

JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon defended a brand of “woke capitalism” that turns words into action, on a Tuesday client call, saying that “society is worse off if we don’t lift up everybody.”

“You can ignore the bad part of society—not hire from them, not drive through parts of town,” said Dimon, as reported by Yahoo! Finance. “I think it is a mistake because our society is worse off if we don’t lift up everybody. It is far more than ‘woke capitalism.’ It is a good thing to lift up our fellow citizens.”
The term “woke capitalism” was coined by New York Times opinion columnist Ross Douthat in the mid-2010s. While the term means slightly different things to different people, it generally refers to corporations that signal their support for social issues like same-sex marriage and environmental protection, but perhaps don’t take their advocacy further.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I just understand one thing.:)
That the banking and financial lobbies have been doing anything, for 70 years, to dismantle the notion of State which was the epitome, almost taken for granted in most European states.
After 70 years, they have succeeded. They have convinced all European elites to privatize (that is to turn public law into private law) every aspect of the state apparatus within the four largest European countries.

Evidence:

JPMorgan calls for authoritarian regimes in Europe

Back to the topic..I am quite skeptical that JP Morgan people believe in a sort of "woke capitalism"

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The OP headline and the story headline are both click-bait. The story itself is different than the headline states.

Jamie Dimon defends ‘woke capitalism,’ saying ‘society is worse off if we don’t lift up everybody

JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon defended a brand of “woke capitalism” that turns words into action, on a Tuesday client call, saying that “society is worse off if we don’t lift up everybody.”

“You can ignore the bad part of society—not hire from them, not drive through parts of town,” said Dimon, as reported by Yahoo! Finance. “I think it is a mistake because our society is worse off if we don’t lift up everybody. It is far more than ‘woke capitalism.’ It is a good thing to lift up our fellow citizens.”
The term “woke capitalism” was coined by New York Times opinion columnist Ross Douthat in the mid-2010s. While the term means slightly different things to different people, it generally refers to corporations that signal their support for social issues like same-sex marriage and environmental protection, but perhaps don’t take their advocacy further.
I view it as appeasement without substance.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

I’ve been mulling this over lately.
Couldn’t one argue that so called “woke capitalism” has existed in one form or another for decades?
I mean if you describe it as “virtue signalling” by companies (and I would agree with that) haven’t companies always kind of done that? Just with different target audiences.
“Oh yes we as a company love family values.”
“Yes we as a company love America and American things.”

The people they virtue signal to has changed only because it behooves their shareholders to pay lip service to them. If society as a whole supported racism, no doubt companies would be boasting about how racist they were. And I’m sure some did back when that was more socially acceptable

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I’ve been mulling this over lately.
Couldn’t one argue that so called “woke capitalism” has existed in one form or another for decades?
I mean if you describe it as “virtue signalling” by companies (and I would agree with that) haven’t companies always kind of done that? Just with different target audiences.
“Oh yes we as a company love family values.”
“Yes we as a company love America and American things.”

The people they virtue signal to has changed only because it behooves their shareholders to pay lip service to them. If society as a whole supported racism, no doubt companies would be boasting about how racist they were. And I’m sure some did back when that was more socially acceptable

At one point the signal was "only profits matter" "The business of business is business". Now the tune has changed. But the skepticism is justified. Do they "walk the talk" or not.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
At one point the signal was "only profits matter" "The business of business is business". Now the tune has changed. But the skepticism is justified. Do they "walk the talk" or not.
I think all the talk is just that. Talk.
Big Companies love to boast about how awesome they are, how their employees are like family, that they represent “true blue” values (or whatever the US equivalent is) etc
But as soon as an opportunity presents itself to actually follow through, they throw anyone expendable under the bus to save themselves.

I’m sure there are smaller companies that actually “walk the walk.”

But for giant conglomerates singing their own praises about how “woke” or “not PC” they are, it’s just PR spin for marketing