• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wives, be submissive to your Husbands

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
michel said:
Do you know what the reason is in the States ?:)
More to the point: Does the disparity have anything to do with the biblical injunction for women to be submissive to their husbands?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I thik it does have something to do with it... the treatment of women in America was often influenced by the religious/cultural mood of the people.

The Bible has historically been used as an injunction agianst giving women equality with men. It was cited as one of the reasons not to grant womens sufferage among other rights.
Women were to remain submissive to men in all things... not equils.

wa:do

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
So basically, someone has taken a phrase in the Bible, out of context, and made it appear
as untoward towards females.

Like I said before, any passage or any part of the Bible taken out of context can be interpreted
in many different ways.

I'd like interpretation of:

"Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; learn to do well" (Isa 1:16 f). We cannot think of God commanding men to do what He knew they had no ability to do!

I could translate that as saying "all men are filthy scrubs,and evil". I could, but I won't.

Ceridwen018

[font=Arial,Helvetica][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica]According to the Bible both men and women:[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica]Are made in the image of God[/font] /[font=Arial,Helvetica]Have dominion over the earth[/font] /[font=Arial,Helvetica]Are joint heirs in Christ/[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica]And they have different roles in life.Early feminists viewed the Bible to be degrading to women because of what it teaches concerning the sin of Eve and the role assigned to women in both the Old and New Testaments.[/font]

However the Bible does not hold Eve responsible . In Adam all die 1 Cor. 15:22. As the head, the man is held responsible
This is all besides the point though, Renaldo. I agree that what the Bible is really trying to say is that men and women are completely equal in every possible way. However, true meaning is moot if it's not interpreted correctly, (I always take a moment to chuckle when I see or talk about "correct interpretation" of the Bible.) The point here is that throughour history, people have interpreted the Bible to mean that women are less capable than men. That is why it took such a long time for women to be allowed to vote, that is why women aren't generally paid or promoted as much as men, and that is also why some women today will walk accross a busy street at the request of their husbands, under the danger of being hit by a car, simply because the Lord bade them to be "submissive".

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Ceridwen018 said:
This is all besides the point though, Renaldo. I agree that what the Bible is really trying to say is that men and women are completely equal in every possible way. However, true meaning is moot if it's not interpreted correctly, (I always take a moment to chuckle when I see or talk about "correct interpretation" of the Bible.) The point here is that throughour history, people have interpreted the Bible to mean that women are less capable than men. That is why it took such a long time for women to be allowed to vote, that is why women aren't generally paid or promoted as much as men, and that is also why some women today will walk accross a busy street at the request of their husbands, under the danger of being hit by a car, simply because the Lord bade them to be "submissive".
Women have been misrepresented by the men who have never gotten over that apple thing. Mary Magdalene until very recently was portrayed as a prostitute, anly now are we realizing that she was not a prostitute and was in fact an integral part of the life of Jesus.

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
Ceridwen018 said:
The point here is that throughour history, people have interpreted the Bible to mean that women are less capable than men.
That's rather unfortunate for women then. It is not women's fault, or my fault that
these interpretations have come about. The point is, it is no good whining about it
now. What's done is done. How are we to change that oday?

IMO, women are just as capable as men. Some women are better than males in some
categories. I would give you some examples, but I do not want to make enemies.

More so:D

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I Corinthians 11:11 In the Lord, however, woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12 For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God. 13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. 16 If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God. NIV

I think I will take the Apostle up on his offer. :D

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I'm just curious where in the bible it says that women and men are equil and husbands should submit to thier wives?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
painted wolf said:
I'm just curious where in the bible it says that women and men are equil and husbands should submit to thier wives?

In my wife's personal translation......:biglaugh:

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I know in my household It's me being submissive to my wife, because 'She's got the power!' and if I don't see things her way, I end up sleeping on the couch! :p

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
My take on what submissive means is not how we take that today. Women have played strong rolls throughout the Bible. When Jesus was nailed the the cross, who was there? Only one Apostle, John, the others where women. His mother, and Mary