• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Witnesses coming to Senate trial

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There are at least a few somewhat honest Republicans out there.

This may be the wisest move politically, even though there is a sizable risk. It was becoming way too obvious that McConnell was running a scam trial and they do not want to appear to be dishonest themselves.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I regret to inform you that the New York Times is reporting McConnell says he will have the votes by the end of the week to block witnesses. He is busy pressuring the swing senators. Personally, I suspect he is will indeed be able to block witnesses.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I regret to inform you that the New York Times is reporting McConnell says he will have the votes by the end of the week to block witnesses. He is busy pressuring the swing senators. Personally, I suspect he is will indeed be able to block witnesses.
That is sad. It looks as if the "head on a pike" claim was accurate.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Heads we get witnesses. Tails we get ready-made campaign commercials about the lack of honor and cowardice (at best) of those who once again bent down to kiss trump's butt.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Do you have a link to that article? I cannot find it. All I can see are claims that McConnell does not have the votes to block witnesses.

Terry Sampson

Rumor has it that Moscow Mitch wants help from Tumpeteers, Hannity, Limbaugh, and their ilk to harangue Republican Senators until a vote is taken on the matter of witnesses.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Do you have a link to that article? I cannot find it. All I can see are claims that McConnell does not have the votes to block witnesses.

The New York Times said:
Senator Mitch McConnell, the majority leader, told a closed-door meeting of Republicans that he did not currently have the votes to block Democrats from calling witnesses at the trial because some Republicans remained uncommitted, according to people familiar with the meeting.

In making the statement, Mr. McConnell — who had with him a “whip count” of yes, nos and maybe votes — was trying to show his colleagues, many of whom are eager to bring the trial to a quick close, that they did not yet have enough committed votes to forestall witnesses.

But Mr. McConnell and his leadership team are optimistic they will to end up with the votes they need by the end of the week. They are trying to create pressure on wavering senators to join with a majority of their colleagues.

His remark was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

[Source]

esmith

Veteran Member
Are those of you who support Bernie and Liz want this? This will put them out personally campaigning.
Conspiracy Theory::)
The DNC does not want anyone but Biden to run for President. Hence the delay in sending the impeachment documents to the Senate, and wanting to open the Senate trial to witnesses thus keeping Bernie and Liz from personally campaigning for as long as possible.

dianaiad

That is sad. It looks as if the "head on a pike" claim was accurate.

I'm of two minds.

I would LOVE to see witnesses, but I'm afraid that once they are allowed, the Dems will drag this thing out all during the primary season. That's what this whole thing was about. Besides, the house should have done it's job regarding witnesses, and it didn't. It should have supoenaed Bolton...he of the 'I'll come testify any time" rhetoric...and they didn't. It is, in fact, a case of a prosecutor arresting someone he doesn't like, putting him on trial and insisting that the defense do all the work. Or, as Schiff most amazingly stated, it's up to Trump to prove himself innocent.

That's not how things are supposed to work.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm of two minds.

I would LOVE to see witnesses, but I'm afraid that once they are allowed, the Dems will drag this thing out all during the primary season. That's what this whole thing was about. Besides, the house should have done it's job regarding witnesses, and it didn't. It should have supoenaed Bolton...he of the 'I'll come testify any time" rhetoric...and they didn't. It is, in fact, a case of a prosecutor arresting someone he doesn't like, putting him on trial and insisting that the defense do all the work. Or, as Schiff most amazingly stated, it's up to Trump to prove himself innocent.

That's not how things are supposed to work.
Really? You think the Democrats slowed this down? It was Trump that illegally told people that they could not testify that slowed things down in the House.

Do you understand how Trump performed "high crimes and misdemeanors" ?

esmith

Veteran Member
Really? You think the Democrats slowed this down? It was Trump that illegally told people that they could not testify that slowed things down in the House.

Where do you get the idea that President Trump illegally told people that they could not testify. There is something called Executive Privilege and Presidents have been using it for some time.
I think you are way off base in your conjuncture that the President slowed things down in the House. Explain your assumption. FYI he did not cause Nancy to hold up the Articles of Impeachment being sent to the Senate after the House voted to impeach.

dianaiad

Did you listen at all to the proceedings? I did. Snoreworthy as that first week was, I did. The House was the one that pulled all the illegal and underhanded stuff, not Trump.

Schiff said last night that the Republicans were invited, and were free, to attend and call witnesses to all the proceedings, and that was patently a lie. Did you see the coverage of the time a group of Republican House members attempted to attend a meeting...and were turned away at the door?

I did.

Not to mention that month or so Pelosi held up the articles of impeachment. Trump didn't do that, Pelosi did.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Where do you get the idea that President Trump illegally told people that they could not testify. There is something called Executive Privilege and Presidents have been using it for some time.
I think you are way off base in your conjuncture that the President slowed things down in the House. Explain your assumption. FYI he did not cause Nancy to hold up the Articles of Impeachment being sent to the Senate after the House voted to impeach.
No, that is an abuse of executive privilege. Historically Presidents have lost when this sort of abuse goes to the courts. Trump has lost in the lower courts, but he knows how to play the game. He appeals to the next court up playing the delay game.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Did you listen at all to the proceedings? I did. Snoreworthy as that first week was, I did. The House was the one that pulled all the illegal and underhanded stuff, not Trump.

Schiff said last night that the Republicans were invited, and were free, to attend and call witnesses to all the proceedings, and that was patently a lie. Did you see the coverage of the time a group of Republican House members attempted to attend a meeting...and were turned away at the door?

I did.

Not to mention that month or so Pelosi held up the articles of impeachment. Trump didn't do that, Pelosi did.
You have it backwards. What did the House do that was underhanded? And I see that you drank the Kool Aid. Can you tell me what the Republicans did that was illegal that got them turned away?

esmith

Veteran Member
No, that is an abuse of executive privilege. Historically Presidents have lost when this sort of abuse goes to the courts. Trump has lost in the lower courts, but he knows how to play the game. He appeals to the next court up playing the delay game.
As well he is in his "legal" right to do so. You lose.

tytlyf

Not Religious
The American people overwhelmingly want witnesses in the trial. Senators may be in trouble going against that grain with their voters.
The senators that have the most to lose will be the ones that vote "NO" on witnesses.