• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Without Faith it is impossible to please God

Spiderman

Veteran Member
God transcends gender so I won't refer to God as He

If he/she gave us all proof of His/her existence, it would deprive us of the ability to have faith and:

Hebrews 11:6

And without faith it is impossible to please God

God hides himself/herself and refuses to provide us with proof so that we can still have faith. He/she isn't pleased if we don't have faith. Now why he/she isn't pleased unless we have faith is a question I don't understand or have the answer to.

But I ate a peach and plum today and was clearly convinced that it was designed to delight our taste-buds. There are ways that we can see the designer in creation.

gallery-1432664914-strawberry-facts1.jpg

butterfly_on_flower-wide.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
A doubting lorgar in this case. I hope I can be like Thomas and make a bit of a turn around. That would be nice at the very least.
Our Father/Mother is most concerned about the wayward child and will rejoice more over you than myself or other believers when you finally are given that reason to believe. It will come, and Heaven will rejoice more over you than us believers.
c677639c5725f7746ebc38150d8eb267.jpg

Lorgar-Aurelian

Our Father/Mother is most concerned about the wayward child and will rejoice more over you than myself or other believers when you finally are given that reason to believe. It will come, and Heaven will rejoice more over you than us believers.
c677639c5725f7746ebc38150d8eb267.jpg
I eagerly await the chance to embrace said father/mother when the time comes.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I eagerly await the chance to embrace said father/mother when the time comes.
The time will come. Our Father in Heaven and Mother Mary love you more than anyone else does. Ask them to speak to your heart. It can't hurt to ask. Ask and yea shall receive, seek and yea shall find, knock and it shall be opened to you.

It bothers me that God hasn't revealed himself/herself to you. The time will come when you will know. Why it's taking so long I don't know. God is a slow-poke. It will all happen in God's timing.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

If he/she gave us all proof of His/her existence, it would deprive us of the ability to have faith and:

God hides himself/herself and refuses to provide us with proof so that we can still have faith. He/she isn't pleased if we don't have faith. Now why he/she isn't pleased unless we have faith is a question I don't understand or have the answer to.

It seems to me that "faith" can't really be genuine if it's imposed on people or the result of brainwashing at an early age.

Aiviu

But I ate a peach and plum today and was clearly convinced that it was designed to delight our taste-buds. There are ways that we can see the designer in creation.

We are always companioned with what we have faith in. And we always carry it along with us.

Its merely impossible to know our heaven if we keep it forgotten.

It isnt forgotten from the beginning but from an end.

How do we know whether God wants us to have faith in what we cannot know? Scriptures are man-made so they will not tell us, they at best offer speculation. Perhaps it is OK that we do not know and are not required to believe what we can't see.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I was talking to a Catholic priest several decades ago, and this issue of faith came up, and I asked him if he ever doubts there's God? His answer surprised me when he said yes and that it's not at all unusual to have doubts about that which we cannot see.
And then he went on to say that he doesn't understand how anyone who actually has the capability to think could not have at least some doubts.

leibowde84

Veteran Member

Beyond a mere feeling that you have about these things, why does any of these pictures/lifeforms convince you that they were designed?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Beyond a mere feeling that you have about these things, why does any of these pictures/lifeforms convince you that they were designed?
I see an incredible artistic quality in them and strawberries taste like they were designed to delight the taste-buds.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I see an incredible artistic quality in them and strawberries taste like they were designed to delight the taste-buds.
But, what about the evolutionary reasoning for butterflies being beautiful and strawberries tasting good? These things can easily be explained naturally, so why do you credit some intelligent design?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
But, what about the evolutionary reasoning for butterflies being beautiful and strawberries tasting good? These things can easily be explained naturally, so why do you credit some intelligent design?
Experiences that I've had. I become a bad person when I don't pray all the time and make God, his Mother, and the spirits my everything. Everything else has failed me and prayer is the only thing that gives me joy and the strength to suffer and carry my cross, so I am a person of faith.

I understand your point of view and it drives me nuts that God is refusing to speak clearly to you. I hope you find the happiness you are looking for. :)

Mercurio

Experiences that I've had. I become a bad person when I don't pray all the time and make God, his Mother, and the spirits my everything. Everything else has failed me and prayer is the only thing that gives me joy and the strength to suffer and carry my cross, so I am a person of faith.

I understand your point of view and it drives me nuts that God is refusing to speak clearly to you. I hope you find the happiness you are looking for. :)
The chapter begins: Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. What evidence?
I say it is the awareness or conviction that something is wrong here, something could be better, something should be better.

Once we see this craving for something better in ourselves, we have glimpsed the nature of God in ourselves. We can see how we want something better -- and that is our true nature -- the image and likeness of God. Even when we fall short, we still want to be better just as we long for a world that is better.

Then what should we do? If a better world is possible, and if we truly crave it, we must act on it. (Ha, faith without works is dead.) And we hope that there are "forces" out there who share our longing for a better world -- and hope that God, if He exists, is as good as we wish. If God exists, is it possible, I ask, that I could be better than God? I don't think so. Therefore I hope a Good God exists and hope He is like me in wanting the world to be a better place.

So I say about your post, if these experiences have made you a better person, your faith has some substance. When you acted out of hope, you found out it worked.

16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

People may be expecting too much of the dramatic when they wonder about God. If they are looking for dramatic proof, they may be disappointed. I say search for that which is good -- embrace that -- and you have found God even if you aren't aware of it. Do good -- and sooner or later, you may see how it is the God-Nature in you doing those things. Jesus taught:

Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

You must learn to trust the good nature in yourself and crave to strengthen it -- the very image and likeness of God which He gave us all. Ha, if you can't spot the image and likeness of God in yourself and in others as well, don't expect to find it by looking for "God out there."

Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

If you say, "I would be willing to be good and try to be righteous if I knew there was a God who would reward me for it," you show some progress but haven't quite gotten there yet. You still have a motive, a somewhat selfish motive at that, for being good. No, you must say, "Even if there is no God, I know what I want; I want to be a better person and I want a better world, so I am going to act on that. because it is what I want. -- it is who I am." . Then you are becoming more like God.

Indeed, there are some people who have faith in God and who act on it but never actually think about it or know it consciously. They do their good works, not knowing if God exists mentally, but their hearts know -- their pure hearts -- and they act out of pure love and pure joy. These people will be rewarded on Judgment Day. . . to their surprise!

Matthew 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.