• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With God on Our Side

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Dylan did a number concerning this in the early 60s, and has anything really changed? That such has about as much sense as a clockwork orange? But some seem to still think so. Every time someone says, 'God willing' or 'God bless you', adds to such as to assume that if one believes then one will be backed up on whatever matter. And no matter what one's religious belief, as long as it concerns 'a god', then this might be such a belief. For many of us non-believers, this is often one of the most depressing things about religions, and that tends to cause such divisions - our god is the true god and will save us - from whatever.

I should add that after being inducted into the Dylanhood - seeing him at the Albert Hall in 1965 (persuaded to do so by a friend, and at the Free Trade Hall subsequently in 1966), - I went out and bought all his first five or six albums, so impressed was I. Hard not to recognise such talent.

Galateasdream

If God was on everyone's side, surely there wouldn't be 'a side'?

I guess it could be framed that way in the cosmic sense.

If I want what is truly best for every being, myself included, then it's like a circle - you could look at it as infinite sides, or no sides :)

But in localised contexts maybe what is best for everyone ultimately might involve a temporary 'side', even if it was just God putting Himself and His desires second.

For example, God might 'side' with a person who was struggling to end slavery over one who mistakenly thought slavery was 'the good' - even though God loved the slaver every bit as much as the abolitionist and desired their ultimate good - because God knows that in the end the slaver has to realise moral truth for their own good, as well as everyone else's.

pearl

Dylan did a number concerning this in the early 60s, and has anything really changed? That such has about as much sense as a clockwork orange? But some seem to still think so. Every time someone says, 'God willing' or 'God bless you', adds to such as to assume that if one believes then one will be backed up on whatever matter.

One such phrase that always bothered me, 'but for the grace of God, go I'. I find it falsely assumes that another is not within God's grace.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
One such phrase that always bothered me, 'but for the grace of God, go I'. I find it falsely assumes that another is not within God's grace.
That is just an expression. It just means that we are only able to do what we do by God's grace.
It does not mean others are not also within God's grace, we all are.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Dylan did a number concerning this in the early 60s, and has anything really changed? That such has about as much sense as a clockwork orange? But some seem to still think so. Every time someone says, 'God willing' or 'God bless you', adds to such as to assume that if one believes then one will be backed up on whatever matter. And no matter what one's religious belief, as long as it concerns 'a god', then this might be such a belief. For many of us non-believers, this is often one of the most depressing things about religions, and that tends to cause such divisions - our god is the true god and will save us - from whatever.

I should add that after being inducted into the Dylanhood - seeing him at the Albert Hall in 1965 (persuaded to do so by a friend, and at the Free Trade Hall subsequently in 1966), - I went out and bought all his first five or six albums, so impressed was I. Hard not to recognise such talent.
I liked Dylan too. :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Dylan spoke for many in the 60's generation but he also speaks to today.

I'm also mindful of Abraham Lincoln's comment:

Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right.