• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With Bros Like These…: Joseph Sold By His Brothers: Genesis 37:12-36

sealchan

I believe Hashem blessed the house of Judah for altering Joseph's fate from death to life -- it enabled Joseph to rise from slavery to Pharaoh's right hand man.

I have a strong feeling that both Reuben's and Judah's interventions were forward-looking statements about later history. I look forward to getting to the later scriptures that indicate that.

2ndpillar

I have a strong feeling that both Reuben's and Judah's interventions were forward-looking statements about later history. I look forward to getting to the later scriptures that indicate that.

The "later history" is with respect to Judah being separated from Joseph/Ephraim(the house of Israel) because of the sin of David, and the loss of his kingdom, when David was run out of Jerusalem by his son, who was fulfilling a vow he had made to God.

2ndpillar

Why do you say "Israel (not Jacob)? It was Jacob to whom God gave Jacob the name "Israel"".

Not knowing that Jacob, Joseph, and Ephraim held the title of Israel, or in the case of Ephraim, the title of the house of Israel, is kind like reading the bible with blinders on.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Not knowing that Jacob, Joseph, and Ephraim held the title of Israel, or in the case of Ephraim, the title of the house of Israel, is kind like reading the bible with blinders on.

What do you mean by that?

Ephraim was...."the son of Joseph by his wife Asenath, the daughter of Potiphera the priest of On. Ephraim, the younger brother of Manasseh, was born in Egypt before the seven-year famine began. The name Ephraim was given to him by his father “because, to quote [Joseph], ‘God has made me fruitful in the land of my wretchedness.’”—Ge 41:50-52.

On his deathbed, Jacob, in effect, adopted his grandsons Ephraim and Manasseh and appointed them to be the equals of his direct sons. (Ge 48:5) Their father Joseph, who received the right as firstborn among Jacob’s sons, received two parts of his father’s inheritance by means of the tribal inheritance of Ephraim and Manasseh. (1Ch 5:1; compare Ge 48:21, 22; De 21:17; Jos 14:4.) In blessing Ephraim and Manasseh, the patriarch Jacob gave the preference to Ephraim and prophetically indicated that he would become the greater.—Ge 48:13-20.

First Chronicles 7:20-27 provides a genealogical listing of Ephraim’s sons and later descendants, concluding with Joshua, who led the Israelites into the Promised Land. Ezer and Elead, who were likely sons of Ephraim, were slain by the men of Gath. Sometime after the death of these sons, Ephraim fathered Beriah."
Ephraim — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

2ndpillar

What do you mean by that?

Ephraim was...."the son of Joseph by his wife Asenath, the daughter of Potiphera the priest of On. Ephraim, the younger brother of Manasseh, was born in Egypt before the seven-year famine began. The name Ephraim was given to him by his father “because, to quote [Joseph], ‘God has made me fruitful in the land of my wretchedness.’”—Ge 41:50-52.

On his deathbed, Jacob, in effect, adopted his grandsons Ephraim and Manasseh and appointed them to be the equals of his direct sons. (Ge 48:5) Their father Joseph, who received the right as firstborn among Jacob’s sons, received two parts of his father’s inheritance by means of the tribal inheritance of Ephraim and Manasseh. (1Ch 5:1; compare Ge 48:21, 22; De 21:17; Jos 14:4.) In blessing Ephraim and Manasseh, the patriarch Jacob gave the preference to Ephraim and prophetically indicated that he would become the greater.—Ge 48:13-20.

First Chronicles 7:20-27 provides a genealogical listing of Ephraim’s sons and later descendants, concluding with Joshua, who led the Israelites into the Promised Land. Ezer and Elead, who were likely sons of Ephraim, were slain by the men of Gath. Sometime after the death of these sons, Ephraim fathered Beriah."
Ephraim — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

(1 Chr. 5:1–2; Jer. 31:9) & (Gen. 48:17–20). The birthright of Jacob/Israel went from Joseph to Ephraim. The "house of Israel", and the "house of Judah" are two different houses (Jeremiah 31:31), and there is enmity between "Judah" and "Israel" (Zechariah 11:14). The house of Judah includes Judah, Benjamin, and Levi. The house of Israel, post David, incudes the 10 northern tribes.

Last edited: