• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With all the religious warfare taking place.....

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
No matter how hard we may try to make things better, forces are working against all the effort. Is it really worth trying to create a better world right now?

Taliban targeting foreign aid workers

Does anyone else feel its all in vain? In some way, it really seems like trying to make a meal out of a dogs breakfast.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
No matter how hard we may try to make things better, forces are working against all the effort. Is it really worth trying to create a better world right now?
Does anyone else feel its all in vain? In some way, it really seems like trying to make a meal out of a dogs breakfast.

Even former atheist Antony Flew concluded about our day that ' there are evils in abundance which could not be put down to a consequence of human sin '.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Even former atheist Antony Flew concluded about our day that ' there are evils in abundance which could not be put down to a consequence of human sin '.

Well...not exactly 'our day' given that he passed several years ago...

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Well...not quote 'our day' given that he passed several years ago...

Yes, Antony Flew died in 2010. By our day I meant in our present time frame of this century.
Such conditions which late Prof. Flew mentioned are still existing in 2014 and will be in 2015.

Do you agree with Prof. Flew that ' DNA research has shown by the almost unbelievable complexity of the arrangements which are needed to produce life, that intelligence must have been involved'.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Of course. The alternative, after all, is failing to even make the attempt.

Many things are indeed in vain. But that is the deal we have. We lack any real choice beyond doing our best.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, Antony Flew died in 2010. By our day I meant in our present time frame of this century.
Such conditions which late Prof. Flew mentioned are still existing in 2014 and will be in 2015.

Do you agree with Prof. Flew that ' DNA research has shown by the almost unbelievable complexity of the arrangements which are needed to produce life, that intelligence must have been involved'.

Nope. Hence I'm an atheist, rather than a former atheist. Having said that, if I determined there was some level of intelligence involved I don't suspect it would change much for me, as I'd assume some form of Deism was in play, most likely.

BTW, I realise the 'not exactly our day' thing in my earlier post sounds like nit-picking, but in a thread about religious war there will be an assumption by some that ISIS is a clear example of the OP, whereas the timeline of ISIS and the timeline of the quote don't match up.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Many things are indeed in vain. But that is the deal we have. We lack any real choice beyond doing our best.

The alternative, according to Matthew 24 v 14, is to make the attempt to do one's best to declare the good news of God's kingdom government on an international scale. People who genuinely accept Jesus' teaching ' Not to live by the sword ' [ Matthew 26 v 52; Rev. 13 v 10 ] would be peaceable people living by the Golden Rule. If everyone on earth lived by Jesus' new command [ John 13 vs 34,35 ] what would the world scene on earth be like today ?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
BTW, I realize the 'not exactly our day' thing in my earlier post sounds like nit-picking, but in a thread about religious war there will be an assumption by some that ISIS is a clear example of the OP, whereas the timeline of ISIS and the timeline of the quote don't match up.

Then, today would it be more correct to say there are ' even more ' evils in abundance which could not be put down to a consequence of human sin ?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Then, today would it be more correct to say there are ' even more ' evils in abundance which could not be put down to a consequence of human sin ?

Not to my mind, but I would have disagreed with him initially in any case.
I would say there is a fair chance Prof. Flew would agree with your adjusted statement, but then again, he's been known to change his mind in the past, so who knows?
;)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

so you think the attempt is worth dying for?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I beg your pardon? I don't understand your question.

You said the alternative is failing to make an attempt...

But those who do often end up dead....Do you think its worth risking your life and the life of your family?

nazz

Doubting Thomas

In some ways it is in vain. But we need to do it anyway because it's the right thing to do.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You said the alternative is failing to make an attempt...

But those who do often end up dead....Do you think its worth risking your life and the life of your family?

Everyone dies eventually. There is no known exception, and no reason to expect to be one. So I don't even worry about that.

It is not a matter of whether I should risk my life, because it is finite and ephemeral to begin with.

The trick is how to best employ its means while I am alive.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.

Hello Peggy,
The main problems with the world are through governments though aren't they? And they control the armies and police, so little we can do, accept our own bit. It's their ship, just enjoy the journey. The East is a mess generated largely by the West. Now it has backfired, big time. But ultimately, it is God's will...... don't you think?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the long run, we're all dead. Even the universe looks headed for a boring "heat death". I do what I do to make things better just because I like doing it. Is it all in vain? Maybe. I don't dwell on that.

DayRaven

Beyond the wall
Does anyone else feel its all in vain?

I often wonder what would happen to humanity if world peace really did come to pass. Consider the, perhaps, unpalatable truth that much of our advancement has been paved with human skulls.

"War what's it good for?" Er where shall I begin.....

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

The world isn't perfect, but it's getting better. We live in the age with the lowest likelihood of death by violence ever.

Our actions aren't in vain. The road is long and difficult, but we're moving along it.