• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With 4100 Americans dead in one day, why did God think viruses were a good idea?

ecco

Veteran Member
With all the evidence used to assert that the Earth was "created with humans in mind," one could just as easily argue (with the same caliber of evidence, no doubt) that the world was created with viruses in mind. Or trees, or plankton, or slugs, or earthworms, or flies, or mosquitos. You'd probably just have to draw the line at anything extinct, I suppose.
Roaches! Roaches have had more years on earth than just about anything bigger than a dime.

Suave

Simulated character
Bad hygiene in the wet markets ... done by man, not by God

Leviticus 11:13-19

“‘These are the birds you are to regard as unclean and not eat because they are unclean: the eagle,the vulture, the black vulture, the red kite, any kind of black kite, any kind of raven, the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, the little owl, the cormorant, the great owl, the white owl, the desert owl, the osprey, the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat."

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

“‘These are the birds you are to regard as unclean and not eat because they are unclean: the eagle,the vulture, the black vulture, the red kite, any kind of black kite, any kind of raven, the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, the little owl, the cormorant, the great owl, the white owl, the desert owl, the osprey, the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat."
Fantastic, you provided proof here. I love it. God indeed gave a clear warning to beware of the "bat" as in being unclean. I did not know that. Thanks.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Its very important to be precise. I asked because you are not being so.

When you ask this kind of question about something so generally, it is essential to consider all angles. Have you considered if humans can survive with out viruses whatsoever when you ask this kind of question?

You said viruses kill humans. Well, even Carbohydrates kill humans. Sugar kills humans. Also, it has been shown that 37% of all deaths due to covid have been diabetic cases. Or at least in some countries it is so. Thus, what about carbohydrates and sugar? Can humanity survive without them? Its just one simple matter to consider. Since you have not considered anything, you are unable to be specific about even your own question.

Your question is valid, if you take the whole of theodicy into question and when someone asks a question based on your own, you should ponder over it and respond. Then its a discussion.
I am in control of the carbs and sugar that enter my body. I am not, especially in the case of a new virus, in any such control. In fact, in that situation, I'm not even remotely aware that I'm in danger.

This thread was started by someone concerned with the theodicies surrounding the God that I grew up understanind -- Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnibenevolent. If that is not your understanding or your god, fine.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I am in control of the carbs and sugar that enter my body. I am not, especially in the case of a new virus, in any such control. In fact, in that situation, I'm not even remotely aware that I'm in danger.

This thread was started by someone concerned with the theodicies surrounding the God that I grew up understanind -- Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnibenevolent. If that is not your understanding or your god, fine.

Oh not at all. See, this is not about you. This is about human beings. Maybe you are in control of your carbs, but most human beings cannot afford anything other than carbs. Its just an example.

Analysis based on your own self?

stvdv

I thought maybe some of the more religious members could give me some insight into the presumed benefit that we inherit from this one part of God's creation...
I can shed some light on this

Human is not the center of the Universe, although they love to think that way
Put it differently "the world does not revolve around humans alone"
Try to see it from the POV of the viruses ... they live too

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Also tells us to avoid pork, shrimp, amd those "cud chewing" rabbits.:rolleyes:

Suave

Simulated character
It's still a part of the larger whole of the restrictions you listed.

Fine then, go ahead and eat bat soup if you'd like. As for me on the other hand, I will avoid the consumption of animal flesh.

5e29b3ae2030274bc50360af.jpg

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I can shed some light on this

Human is not the center of the Universe, although they love to think that way
Put it differently "the world does not revolve around humans alone"
Try to see it from the POV of the viruses ... they live too
In your worldview, perhaps. The Christian worldview holds that everything is created for humans to subdue and to have "dominion" over. Says so right there in Genesis 1:28: "And God blessed them. And God said to them, 'Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.'"

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Oh not at all. See, this is not about you. This is about human beings. Maybe you are in control of your carbs, but most human beings cannot afford anything other than carbs. Its just an example.

Analysis based on your own self?
Those who can barely afford carbs certainly can't afford so much of them as to be poisonous. Carbs are not evil per se, and are an integral part of the human diet we evolved to consume. In fact, the healthiest human diet we know of today is the Mediterranean diet, consisting of vegetables, fruits, herbs, nuts, beans and whole grains. Meals are built around these plant-based foods -- which are mostly carbs and sugars. Moderate amounts of dairy, poultry and eggs are also central to the Diet, as is seafood. In contrast, red meat is eaten only occasionally.

stvdv

In your worldview, perhaps. The Christian worldview holds that everything is created for humans to subdue and to have "dominion" over. Says so right there in Genesis 1:28: "And God blessed them. And God said to them, 'Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.'"
Yes, I agree. That verse of Genesis is a master peace to enhance EGO in believers, who do not use "Common Sense before Divine Sense"

But when I take into account the rest of the Bible, then I easily come to the conclusion that this interpretation can't be true for me

ecco

Veteran Member
And no BBQ pork ribs, bacon, lobster, or raw oysters. Bummer.

ecco

Veteran Member
Bad hygiene in the wet markets ... done by man, not by God

I think it would be really good if people would make a list of what is God's doing and what is man's/nature's doing.

For example, when there is a crash and three people die they say it is some person's fault. If one person survives the same crash, that was God looking out for them.

Players scoring a touchdown raise their hands to thank God. When they drop the pass it's, well, bad luck or lack of skill.