• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With 4100 Americans dead in one day, why did God think viruses were a good idea?

capumetu

I have no answers to my own questions, obviously, but I thought maybe some of the more religious members could give me some insight into the presumed benefit that we inherit from this one part of God's creation...

Adam and Eve chose to be their own god, so we are reaping what they sowed. The good news is sir, that this is quite likely just one more fulfillment of the sign Jesus gave that our deliverance is very close: (Luke 21:11) . . .There will be great earthquakes, and in one place after another food shortages and pestilences; and there will be fearful sights and from heaven great signs.

Amen! Come, Lord Jesus.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Well, you know, we all get the god concept we were born into. If you think you have a better one, you're free to demonstrate it. But please, don't just tell me you do. I gave up listening to that sort of nonsense long ago. Prove it.

Ah. But you missed the question pertaining to your position that your OP was about "All Viruses". Let me just copy paste it again.

So do you think that humans could survive perfectly with out viruses as a whole?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Viruses transfer genes between critters,
thereby serving evolution...God's favorite tool.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And covid-19 seems to move freely among species, probably some big surprises to come.
Some interesting evolutionary developments, eh.
trump_virus_head.jpg

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Okay. let me rephrase the question to suit you.

do you mean "viruses as a concept" or "this particular virus that killed 369,000 plus Americans"?

You answered "all viruses".

So do you think that humans could survive perfectly with out viruses as a whole?
Obviously not. That doesn't change the fact that viruses that kill, slowly, painfully, exist.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Adam and Eve chose to be their own god, so we are reaping what they sowed. The good news is sir, that this is quite likely just one more fulfillment of the sign Jesus gave that our deliverance is very close: (Luke 21:11) . . .There will be great earthquakes, and in one place after another food shortages and pestilences; and there will be fearful sights and from heaven great signs.

Amen! Come, Lord Jesus.
Gotta love the pesilence and fear, eh? The "love of God" leaves me a bit cold.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Questions like this are vastly easier to account for in polytheistic theologies to the point that they aren't typically asked at all. The gods are all the various natural and social forces of the world, including disease. The gods are higher powers - and disease is certainly higher powers than humanity - which is deified as a way of respecting and acknowledging that power. Whether or not humans think these gods/powers are "good ideas" is irrelevant. We exist in a world with these gods and have a relationship with them. The important thing is to navigate that relationship the best one can by, I don't know, taking things like diseases seriously for a start?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I do believe that @Shadow Wolf was referring to those who ignore health protocols around spreading the virus.
Yup.
Amd I stand firm I don't care if I upset people with that post. "Covidiots" are killing a lot of people, they have overloaded the healthcare system, and they are putting healthcare workers in positions they should never have been exposed to. But critical care is here, because of selfish and self-destructive idiots who aren't taking this seriously.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have no answers to my own questions, obviously, but I thought maybe some of the more religious members could give me some insight into the presumed benefit that we inherit from this one part of God's creation...
molecular corrections

dna selection

the strong survive

firedragon

Veteran Member
How long do you want to continue nit-picking? Can we set a 2 post limit, and then get on with discussion?

Its very important to be precise. I asked because you are not being so.

When you ask this kind of question about something so generally, it is essential to consider all angles. Have you considered if humans can survive with out viruses whatsoever when you ask this kind of question?

You said viruses kill humans. Well, even Carbohydrates kill humans. Sugar kills humans. Also, it has been shown that 37% of all deaths due to covid have been diabetic cases. Or at least in some countries it is so. Thus, what about carbohydrates and sugar? Can humanity survive without them? Its just one simple matter to consider. Since you have not considered anything, you are unable to be specific about even your own question.

Your question is valid, if you take the whole of theodicy into question and when someone asks a question based on your own, you should ponder over it and respond. Then its a discussion.

Suave

Simulated character

Viruses are continuously changing as a result of genetic selection. They undergo subtle genetic changes through mutation and major genetic changes through recombination. Mutation occurs when an error is incorporated in the viral genome. Recombination occurs when co-infecting viruses exchange genetic information, creating a novel virus.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You said viruses kill humans. Well, even Carbohydrates kill humans. Sugar kills humans. Also, it has been shown that 37% of all deaths due to covid have been diabetic cases. Or at least in some countries it is so. Thus, what about carbohydrates and sugar? Can humanity survive without them? Its just one simple matter to consider. Since you have not considered anything, you are unable to be specific about even your own question.
Wanna swap drug needles? Afterall, HIV/AIDs don't kill. It's those other diseases causing complications that kill.