• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

With 4100 Americans dead in one day, why did God think viruses were a good idea?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Oh that, yes the world is good. Doesn't mean that cat don't kill birds or lions eat grass.
It means good - without defining what good is.
Earthquakes are 'bad' but they relieve stresses in the subduction plates which keep
renewing the landscape, causing rainfall through mountains and stop the oceans from
silting up - so that's 'good' too. Depends how you want to view life.

Are you arguing with god or just the bible?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I have no answers to my own questions, obviously, but I thought maybe some of the more religious members could give me some insight into the presumed benefit that we inherit from this one part of God's creation...
I recently read an article suggesting that viruses play a big part in accelerating evolutionary change, by the way they add bits to DNA and transfer them between organisms. So maybe they are not all bad and we need them. ;)

firedragon

Veteran Member
I have no answers to my own questions, obviously, but I thought maybe some of the more religious members could give me some insight into the presumed benefit that we inherit from this one part of God's creation...

Just out of curiosity, you are asking about a "presumed benefit" but how did you "presume" that it was?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Anyway, with regard to the OP, it was people, not any God, that thought "viruses were a good idea," at least with regard to the virus you appear to be referencing in the title of the thread. It was people that created the virus, and people that spread the virus. I didn't see any mention in my research of any God having anything to do with the virus' creation and spread.
Sorry, but people did not "create" the virus. It arose naturally in animals, and was passed to humans in a market place. This has happened many times before.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Just out of curiosity, you are asking about a "presumed benefit" but how did you "presume" that it was?
Well, if everything was created by God, and God saw that it was "good," one must presume that viruses (part of creation, don't you know) must have something good about them.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, but people did not "create" the virus. It arose naturally in animals, and was passed to humans in a market place. This has happened many times before.

Apologies for being unclear. What I meant to say is that it was people that infected themselves by having bats (or pangolins) in a live animal marketplace. It was human action that resulted in their contracting the virus. It wasn't a God.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Apologies for being unclear. What I meant to say is that it was people that infected themselves by having bats (or pangolins) in a live animal marketplace. It was human action that resulted in their contracting the virus. It wasn't a God.
What does it matter if it was bats or pangolins? It could have been chickens -- it has been in the past.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Well, if everything was created by God, and God saw that it was "good," one must presume that viruses (part of creation, don't you know) must have something good about them.

So your God concept is the God of Genesis! Understood. Yet even then, do you mean "viruses as a concept" or "this particular virus that killed 4000 plus Americans"?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What does it matter if it was bats or pangolins? It could have been chickens -- it has been in the past.

To my knowledge, chickens were not know to carry SARS-CoV or SARS-like-COVs. These animals were.

Review of Bats and SARS

And humans still choice to have them in a populated live animal marketplace.

Also, you're ignoring my statements that it wasn't a God that is responsible for the initial infection or spread of the virus. This was the point of what I initially stated.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
The virus brought humanity together to care for each other under testing circumstances. Home-working wood help with climate change. The virus helped us advance our science to get a vaccine. It was the only way Joe Biden wood win the election. Those are just a few of many things the virus did that were good.

PureX

Veteran Member
God doesn't favor one form of being over another, like we do, apparently. Every form that can exist gets it's chance. We don't like this because we're all about ourselves. But then we aren't God. We don't get to create a universe according to our own desires. And we don't understand what such a task entails.

Audie

Veteran Member
Clearly this has nothing to do with a god that doses not exist. But what an irony that a virus in some ways brought down a president and unveiled the cause of why denying the science is allowed so many to die intentionally. Let me think what stopped the Martians from invading the Earth? I think it was a virus, what an ironic prediction of what was to come. A man who thought he could be king in some ways brought down by a virus, the simplest biological life. What an irony. Of course it does not hurt to be totally narcissistic and ignorant of what is important to the people.
Thou waxeth exceedingly far fetched

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
So your God concept is the God of Genesis! Understood. Yet even then, do you mean "viruses as a concept" or "this particular virus that killed 4000 plus Americans"?
4000?? How about 369,000, right now it's 4,000 per DAY. Oh, and over 1,900,000 in the world.

But yes, viruses in general, which have killed -- quite literally -- billions.

firedragon

Veteran Member
4000?? How about 369,000, right now it's 4,000 per DAY. Oh, and over 1,900,000 in the world.

But yes, viruses in general, which have killed -- quite literally -- billions.

Okay. let me rephrase the question to suit you.

do you mean "viruses as a concept" or "this particular virus that killed 369,000 plus Americans"?

You answered "all viruses".

So do you think that humans could survive perfectly with out viruses as a whole?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
So your God concept is the God of Genesis! Understood.
Well, you know, we all get the god concept we were born into. If you think you have a better one, you're free to demonstrate it. But please, don't just tell me you do. I gave up listening to that sort of nonsense long ago. Prove it.

A Vestigial Mote

With all the evidence used to assert that the Earth was "created with humans in mind," one could just as easily argue (with the same caliber of evidence, no doubt) that the world was created with viruses in mind. Or trees, or plankton, or slugs, or earthworms, or flies, or mosquitos. You'd probably just have to draw the line at anything extinct, I suppose.

Last edited: