• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Witches, gods, demons, etc.

We Never Know

No Slack
Do they all fall under "supernatural"?

All they all more or less a religion?

What sets one apart from the other to be more acceptable/less acceptable?

Like most I've heard about a god growing up in life. However not much about the others(unless satan is a demon).

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There is nothing less or more than natural about what a human relates to to understand its being.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't even see the connection between all those words, really.

Witches: real people, practitioners of witchcraft. Some religions are greatly involved with this, though not all witches claim witchcraft as their religion.

Gods: One of many deities, or manifestations of deity. Gods are involved in countless religions.

Demons: I don't really know much about them. They seem to be an Abrahamic thing, to my knowledge(which as I said, is little).

We Never Know

No Slack

Witches: real people, practitioners of witchcraft. Some religions are greatly involved with this, though not all witches claim witchcraft as their religion.

Gods: One of many deities, or manifestations of deity. Gods are involved in countless religions.

Demons: I don't really know much about them. They seem to be an Abrahamic thing, to my knowledge(which as I said, is little).

Is witchcraft supernatural?

danieldemol

Premium Member

The people may be real just as the practitioners of prayer are real people, but is their practice not invoking supernatural power?

The link would be that witchcraft, gods and demons are all supernatural.

In my opinion.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
The people may be real just as the practitioners of prayer are real people, but is their practice not invoking supernatural power?

The link would be that witchcraft, gods and demons are all supernatural.

In my opinion.

I guess as far as witchcraft goes, I see it as just being 'natural'. Honestly, I don't know what 'supernatural' means. I know what's its chalked up to be, but what makes something natural or supernatural?

I guess Gods would fall into the same category for me, too. They're just a different manifestation of the energy than humans are(in my opinion), but I don't see them as being outside of what's natural.

I won't tackle demons, 'cause I don't feel I know enough on the topic.

I think the category 'supernatural' is just a label some use to best describe certain things. If it works for them, may as well use it. Personally, I find it confusing.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I guess as far as witchcraft goes, I see it as just being 'natural'. Honestly, I don't know what 'supernatural' means. I know what's its chalked up to be, but what makes something natural or supernatural?

I guess Gods would fall into the same category for me, too. They're just a different manifestation of the energy than humans are(in my opinion), but I don't see them as being outside of what's natural.

I won't tackle demons, 'cause I don't feel I know enough on the topic.

I think the category 'supernatural' is just a label some use to best describe certain things. If it works for them, may as well use it. Personally, I find it confusing.
Its a good question. I'm not sure but I think it comes down to obeying the laws of nature vs being able to break them.

If you worship a natural thing like the sun as a God it is not supernatural (provided you dont ascribe non-natural powers to it).

However I think some of the Hindu deities would count as being able to defy natural laws.

When you describe witch powers as energy I'm pretty sure you are not using the natural definition of energy that a physics professor or someone who has studied nature would use, so I think that counts as supernatural.

In my opinion.

danieldemol

Premium Member
There is no such thing as supernatural all things are part of nature thus nothing is supernatural
You could also say all man-made things are natural as humans are part of nature. Still I think it is useful to distinguish between concepts which demonstrably exist outside our heads such as nature, and ones which cannot be demonstrated to exist as more than concepts such as magic, Gods and demons.

In my opinion.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
You could also say all man-made things are natural as humans are part of nature. Still I think it is useful to distinguish between concepts which demonstrably exist outside our heads such as nature, and ones which cannot be demonstrated to exist as more than concepts such as magic, Gods and demons.

In my opinion.
Well I do believe manmade objects to be part of nature. A house is a den altho it may be prettier then some animals it is still a den. But I understand what you are saying

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Its a good question. I'm not sure but I think it comes down to obeying the laws of nature vs being able to break them.

If you worship a natural thing like the sun as a God it is not supernatural (provided you dont ascribe non-natural powers to it).

However I think some of the Hindu deities would count as being able to defy natural laws.

When you describe witch powers as energy I'm pretty sure you are not using the natural definition of energy that a physics professor or someone who has studied nature would use, so I think that counts as supernatural.

In my opinion.

I'm not sure if witchcraft really breaks the laws of nature. I always thought of it as using the laws of nature to one's advantage, but I could be wrong.

My thoughts on deity was somewhat similar, too.

I can't even begin to fathom what a physics professor would say... my knowledge on that is about the same as my knowledge on demons!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Do they all fall under "supernatural"?

"supernatural" can be a tricky word. To some it means beyond nature. To others beyond scientific understanding. My attitude is that everything is lawful. Some laws are physical and understood by science.

Who is a 'witch' and what that word means to a practitioner of the craft of being a witch varies so my answer there is maybe/depending.

"gods" & "demons" belong to the non-physical world and have a place there which depends on who they are.

What sets one apart from the other to be more acceptable/less acceptable?

"Witches" caused me to think that during the middle ages, alchemists were OK (male) but witches were not (female) for one thing.

"demons" I classify as lower astral entitles who try to cause mischief or worse. Those are less acceptable to me.

"god" I would think of in the same sense as Christians think of "angels" - entities whose action is in accordance with the will of Divinity and those acceptable if not more than acceptable.

We Never Know

No Slack
I'm not sure if witchcraft really breaks the laws of nature. I always thought of it as using the laws of nature to one's advantage, but I could be wrong.

My thoughts on deity was somewhat similar, too.

I can't even begin to fathom what a physics professor would say... my knowledge on that is about the same as my knowledge on demons!

If witchcraft can cast a spell that science can't explain, its at least above science, which tries to explain the natural.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
If witchcraft can cast a spell that science can't explain, its at least above science, which tries to explain the natural.

Is it really above science, or does science just not currently have the explanation?

At one time, a lot of things we use now weren't explained by science. Would that have made them supernatural?

We Never Know

No Slack
Is it really above science, or does science just not currently have the explanation?

At one time, a lot of things we use now weren't explained by science. Would that have made them supernatural?

The same can be said about a god.

Is spell casting(if it works) a natural thing?