• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Witches and witchcraft

Diamond

In pre-scientific cultures, witchcraft is blamed for all sorts of mishaps and misfortunes, like deaths, illness, livestock deaths and crop failures. It makes sense that they would view it that way because it was logical according to their worldview and they didn't know any better. Often outsiders and "uppity" women would be branded a witch, often due to false charges because the person wanted them gone, maybe to take their property. Sometimes you have outbreaks of witch hunts which are like mass psychosis combined with paranoia and fear of the other.

Anyway, the word that is translated as "which" actually means "poisoner". It was King James who had it translated that way since he was superstitious and afraid of witches.
the word "Witch" means "wise one" so once again the bible is stating something wrong and blaming things witches had no hand in,however there were and still some Witches who disobey the Witches creed and harm others with spells.

Diamond

The Bible is "old". There was no internet, less books and lots of illiterate people. Fear is a big challenge to overcome in all humans. Fear is a major useful emotions to control humans

Once I was hacked by a Nigerian hacker who demanded money. I wrote back to him "I spend 10 years in India and am pretty good in witchcraft ... don't you dare threaten me again or I will use my black magic on you". I never heard again of this African hacker.

In short: It's just fear and ignorance that people are against Witches and Witchcraft. The Church is known to be an institute of big power for many centuries. There is only 1 way to gain/keep power and that is to manipulate people and using fear is the best one for that. Witchcraft is a good one to use, because no one can proof anything, and the unknown is scary to the unenlightened soul
Thanks a lot that makes a whole lot of sense,you are the 1st one that actually answered my question.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
what the heck does it matter wither I capitalization or not go to do with the question, if you don't know the answer than say so.

Um... I ask because it's relevant. What do you mean when you ask about "Witches" and "Witchcraft?" As I said, by capitalizing those I would assume you mean proper religion rather than other usages of those terms, but I'd rather ask instead of assuming. I can't know if my responses would be relevant without you telling me what kind of Witchcraft (or witchcraft) you are actually talking about. That's why I ask. I can speak to both, but I like to tailor what I write to the topic as best I can.

Since you don't seem to understand the relevance, here's a sampling of the wide range of things "witch" can mean:

• Witch (proper case) - a practitioner of a modern Pagan religion that strongly emphasizes spellcraft and personal empowerment
  • Witch (proper case) - a Wiccan; a modern Pagan that worships the Lord and Lady with strong nature-centered elements and an emphasis on spellcraft
  • witch (lower case) - a term used for practitioners of magic (usually female) bearing supernatural powers in fantasy fiction or stories; thematically depicted as variously seductive or wicked
  • witch (lower case) - an all-purpose snarl word; applied to assertive individuals (usually women) others believe are behaving improperly, or to practitioners of spellcraft who are doing what some authority considers "bad" or "evil" spellcraft
This list is not all-inclusive, but hopefully it will help you understand why I am asking the question. I don't intend to define the terms for you... rather I am asking what you mean by the terms.

74x12

Yes you can be a witch without familiar spirit,annd there is no consorting with demons at all if you are a true witch,but of course like anything else, there are some who do it for the wrong reasons,and want to harm others,Witches do not even believe in the devil or demons.
Depends how you define witch. Yes you can do witchcraft but if you want to be a real witch you have to have a familiar spirit. AKA spirit guide. These are spirits that teach or guide the witch in their practice of witchcraft. They actually control the witch however. It's spiritual bondage/slavery. It's really stupid to be a witch.

As for witches not believing in demons. Some do, some don't. That's beside the point.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends how you define witch. Yes you can do witchcraft but if you want to be a real witch you have to have a familiar spirit.

Sorry, I have to call this out. We have enough people within the Pagan and magical/occult communities spouting nonsense about what it means to be a "real witch" without this sort of nonsense being added into the mix. Outsider perceptions of spellcraft are, for better or worse, directly relevant to this thread, but...

... you know? Here's an answer for the OP. Per folks like you as an example, people have problems with certain types of withcraft because their beliefs about what witchcraft is and means are simply off-base.

Diamond

1 John 5:2-4 New International Version (NIV)
This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.

God's commands are easy and by keeping his commands, now that is how the children of God show their love for God. Now is there a command against witchcraft?
During the time of the Israelites, God gave this command:

Deuteronomy 18:10-11 New International Version (NIV)
Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead.

giphy.gif

How about for the true Christians? Did God allowed witchcraft? Did His decree changed?

Galatians 5:19-21 New International Version (NIV)
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But personally, I used to sing a song about witchcraft.
And that was a long time ago.

ok those are the scriptures,thanks for that,it just states the fact of it's supposingly against it however it doesn't give a reason Why it's against it, I think my best explanation came from "stvdv".

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In any event, the most interesting article I've read on the subject of Biblical perspectives on witchcraft (aka, the practice of spellcraft) or other similar things is this one: Does the Bible Outlaw Magick? – Llewellyn Unbound

It provides an important and necessary historical cultural context for the discussion in a way that is relevant for modern practitioners. This bit in particular is the take home:

"... much space in the Bible is wasted on rants against the evils of sorcery, necromancy, and divination—even though the same authors were performing all of it themselves. It was ok for them to do, you see, but it was not ok for you—at least unless you joined their group and got their stamp of political approval."
From - Does the Bible Outlaw Magick? – Llewellyn Unbound

It about sums up my own thoughts about the topic in a general sense, though its relevance with respect to contemporary Witchcraft ought to be debatable. Any and all arguments against some particular type of spellcraft boil down to some authority deciding their version of magic is okay and someone else's isn't for reasons that are ultimately arbitrary. I make that sound more baseless than it is - there are always good reasons behind it. But if you don't follow that authority, there is not much reason to take their argument to heart.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
and why couldn't God give insight to a Witch or Fortune Teller and etc.? why would God limit his divine insight only to certain people.
It's a good question. I don't know the answer. Sorry.

shmogie

It can't be a Knight Templar. The cross is wrong for that:

File:Knights Templar Cross.svg - Wikipedia

And I see it has not taken long for Godwin's Law to assert itself. :rolleyes:
There are different Templar crosses that have been used, in one case it was the French Fleur De Lis cross. In another, there was a less wide crossbar under the top one, The also used the equidistant Maltese cross.

No matter, The red cross on a pure white background, singlet, has been the the sign of the Templars, The colors were just as important as the cross.

An English Templar would recognize a French one by a red cross on a white background.One might have a maltese Cross, the other a traditional cross, but they are Templars none the less

shmogie

In any event, the most interesting article I've read on the subject of Biblical perspectives on witchcraft (aka, the practice of spellcraft) or other similar things is this one: Does the Bible Outlaw Magick? – Llewellyn Unbound

It provides an important and necessary historical cultural context for the discussion in a way that is relevant for modern practitioners. This bit in particular is the take home:

"... much space in the Bible is wasted on rants against the evils of sorcery, necromancy, and divination—even though the same authors were performing all of it themselves. It was ok for them to do, you see, but it was not ok for you—at least unless you joined their group and got their stamp of political approval."
From - Does the Bible Outlaw Magick? – Llewellyn Unbound

It about sums up my own thoughts about the topic in a general sense, though its relevance with respect to contemporary Witchcraft ought to be debatable. Any and all arguments against some particular type of spellcraft boil down to some authority deciding their version of magic is okay and someone else's isn't for reasons that are ultimately arbitrary. I make that sound more baseless than it is - there are always good reasons behind it. But if you don't follow that authority, there is not much reason to take their argument to heart.
Your thoughts on the matter are in error. You don't believe in the Bible, so based upon that belief, you arbitrarily decide they are the same.

Diamond

"Witches" don't exist, and neither does witchcraft. The historical examples of women who were brutally executed for being accused of "witchcraft" for no rational reason whatsoever is a perfect example of why I agree so strongly with Jesse Ventura's quote "Religion is the root of all evil."
Traditionally they were thought to work magic by invoking the Devil and evil spirits.

Noawadays I don't think anyone cares two hoots.
obviously a lot of people still give two hoots or else there would have not been 25 alerts in my inbox this morning when I opened this up.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks a lot that makes a whole lot of sense,you are the 1st one that actually answered my question.
...the way I wanted it answered.

I figured you clicked ‘reply’ before you were finished typing. You’re welcome.

Diamond

Ok, I've read all the posts and there are some I can understand and some not, one thing I want to point out is yes there is still witches in this world, and many preform witchcraft. I am an Solitary Eclectic Witch and have been for 22 years, as one post says all Witches have to have a familiar spirit to be a Witch not true at all;, there are those who may need one, and there are some that don't, there are many different paths of being a witch, you have garden witches,pagan witches,christian witches Celtic witches Greece-roman and yes even evil witches & more.The only times a witch will practice black magick is if they themselves have evil within them and there point is to curse or bring harm to others, just like you have Christians who operate in evil.,It's not what is being done, it is who is doing the magick!!!

Tarot cards aren't evil or a tool of the devil, because I'm the reader and I am not doing it to bring doom or evil thoughts and actions, I read tarot cards to help,heal and advice.I practice new age beliefs and practices such as Tarot cards, Pendulums,Astral Projection,yoga,meditation among many other things,I don't practice witchcraft on the regular and everything I do is for the good of myself or others.

I asked the question on my 1st post because I didn't understand why we(Witches) are so condemned in this world!!!But I see why through these posts,it is a lot of misunderstanding of the whole philosophy of a witch,and yes there are a lot of wrong meanings as well, I've looked it up and the one that came up the most is "wise one"and that one is the one that I related to. Witches are much more than spell casters,but that is most how we are being described as.

Diamond

...the way I wanted it answered.

I figured you clicked ‘reply’ before you were finished typing. You’re welcome.
no I didn't clicked reply before I finished the answer wasn't how I wanted to hear it, as I said it made more sense then some of the others did,as i stated,if one comes in better than that one, I will acknowledge it as well.