• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Witches and witchcraft

What "Arabian Magic"?

latest
s-l300.jpg

(Even though Aladdin was actually from China)

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
What does the bible and it's followers have against Witches and Witchcraft,I'm looking for real and real convincing reasons?

They are competitors in the market of irrational beliefs.

Ciao

- viole

exchemist

Veteran Member
What does the bible and it's followers have against Witches and Witchcraft,I'm looking for real and real convincing reasons?
Traditionally they were thought to work magic by invoking the Devil and evil spirits.

Noawadays I don't think anyone cares two hoots.

sooda

Veteran Member
Traditionally they were thought to work magic by invoking the Devil and evil spirits.

Noawadays I don't think anyone cares two hoots.

This will help fill in the blanks.

Malleus Maleficarum - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malleus_Maleficarum
f9bbbf72.png

Overview
th

The Malleus Maleficarum, usually translated as the Hammer of Witches, is the best known and the most thorough treatise on witchcraft. It was written by the discredited Catholic clergyman Heinrich Kramer and first published in the German city of Speyer in 1487. It endorses extermination of witches and for this purpose develops a detailed legal and theological theory. It was a bestseller, second only to the Bible in terms of sales for almost 200 years. It has been described as the compendium of literature in demonology of the fifteenth century. The top theologians of the Inquisition at the Faculty of Cologne condemned the book a…

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Seems so :-/
If an American criticised me for showing an English knight with cross of Saint George, I might not write it on RF but I know what I would think.
Bloomin' foreigners! :p

The OT mention of ''shall not suffer witches to live' could be s mis-translation. After all Jewish Kings sought the guidance of seers such as the Witch of Endor.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
1 John 5:2-4 New International Version (NIV)
This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.

God's commands are easy and by keeping his commands, now that is how the children of God show their love for God. Now is there a command against witchcraft?
During the time of the Israelites, God gave this command:

Deuteronomy 18:10-11 New International Version (NIV)
Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead.

giphy.gif

How about for the true Christians? Did God allowed witchcraft? Did His decree changed?

Galatians 5:19-21 New International Version (NIV)
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But personally, I used to sing a song about witchcraft.
And that was a long time ago.

Drunkeness ..... ?
Jesus loved his meat and drink, and had a reputation for it.

Those apostles and their tripe. :shrug:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

You capitalize Witches and Witchcraft. May I ask why? Capitalization suggests you are referring to the contemporary religious movements (which would be in proper case because religions are all proper nouns). However, this was not the sort of "witches" and "witchcraft" the writers of the Bible had in mind, especially after we account for translation issues.

Thus some clarification is desired. What do you mean by "Witches" and "Witchcraft?" Should we also include "witches" and "witchcraft" in this discussion or do you really mean to just talk about contemporary Pagan practices called Witchcraft?

sooda

Veteran Member
If an American criticised me for showing an English knight with cross of Saint George, I might not write it on RF but I know what I would think.
Bloomin' foreigners! :p

The OT mention of ''shall not suffer witches to live' could be s mis-translation. After all Jewish Kings sought the guidance of seers such as the Witch of Endor.

Haha.. Sometimes you are an absolute genius!

Diamond

Convincing to whom ? You ?

Under the theocracy that was Israel under the law, witches were executed as being under the control of satan.

In the Christian dispensation, a believer is enjoined to avoid them and all their trappings for the same reason.

If you find the reason unconvincing, take it up with God, not me.

He makes the rules, and I just follow them.
Is that what you heard him say?

Diamond

You capitalize Witches and Witchcraft. May I ask why? Capitalization suggests you are referring to the contemporary religious movements (which would be in proper case because religions are all proper nouns). However, this was not the sort of "witches" and "witchcraft" the writers of the Bible had in mind, especially after we account for translation issues.

Thus some clarification is desired. What do you mean by "Witches" and "Witchcraft?" Should we also include "witches" and "witchcraft" in this discussion or do you really mean to just talk about contemporary Pagan practices called Witchcraft?
what the heck does it matter wither I capitalization or not go to do with the question, if you don't know the answer than say so.

Diamond

what the heck does it matter wither I capitalization or not go to do with the question, if you don't know the answer than say so.
some people are so smart they are dumb, and I'm talking about Witches and Witchcraft,as I have already stated.

Diamond

In general they consider witchcraft demonic. If you don't believe in demons, that's not terribly convincing, I know.

Why are you interested specifically in what Bible believers have against it?
I asked the question cause I'm curious to wonder why? also who considers Witchcraft demonic and why?

Diamond

It's consorting with demons. You can't even be a witch without a familiar spirit to help you. Even though many witches may not realize that or admit it. They will attribute their abilities to "psychic" powers or whatever. That doesn't change the fact they have a familiar spirit.

I can tell you a lot more if you want. Just ask me questions. Thanks.
Yes you can be a witch without familiar spirit,annd there is no consorting with demons at all if you are a true witch,but of course like anything else, there are some who do it for the wrong reasons,and want to harm others,Witches do not even believe in the devil or demons.

Diamond

Christianity believes all that kind of stuff to be demonic and evil, and that it leads to eternity in hell.
my question is "Why" do they feel it's demonic and evil and leads to eternity in hell
I've been Wiccan much of my life, but I don't really practice it much.
well Wicca is the religion,to be a witch doesn't mean you have to be Wicca,and practicing Wicca doesn't mean you are a witch.do you consider yourself a witch?

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
my question is "Why" do they feel it's demonic and evil and leads to eternity in hell

well Wicca is the religion,to be a witch doesn't mean you have to be Wicca,and practicing Wicca doesn't mean you are a witch.do you consider yourself a witch?

I consider myself a witch and maybe a necromancer, but not a sorcerer. I don't do magic or magick much.

Diamond

It does. What I did not write is that prophecy and fortune-telling are the same thing.
yes they are that is why I ask why than in the bible it's witchcraft and of the devil, but in the bible prophecy is given by God and its a gift and ok??