• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Witches and witchcraft

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
What does the bible and it's followers have against Witches and Witchcraft,I'm looking for real and real convincing reasons?
In pre-scientific cultures, witchcraft is blamed for all sorts of mishaps and misfortunes, like deaths, illness, livestock deaths and crop failures. It makes sense that they would view it that way because it was logical according to their worldview and they didn't know any better. Often outsiders and "uppity" women would be branded a witch, often due to false charges because the person wanted them gone, maybe to take their property. Sometimes you have outbreaks of witch hunts which are like mass psychosis combined with paranoia and fear of the other.

Anyway, the word that is translated as "which" actually means "poisoner". It was King James who had it translated that way since he was superstitious and afraid of witches.

whirlingmerc

What does the bible and it's followers have against Witches and Witchcraft,I'm looking for real and real convincing reasons?

It's the difference between "They will be done" and "My will be done"

By the way, in the 15th century the number 1 crime was Bible transition and they were burned at the stake. Why? The justification was it was the penalty for being a witch.

sooda

Veteran Member

By the way, in the 15th century the number 1 crime was Bible transition and they were burned at the stake. Why? The justification was it was the penalty for being a witch.

King James Version (KJV), also called Authorized Version or King James Bible, English translation of the Bible published in 1611 under the auspices of King James I of England.

whirlingmerc

King James Version (KJV), also called Authorized Version or King James Bible, English translation of the Bible published in 1611 under the auspices of King James I of England.

the KJV was a good literary effort at the time. King James who was raised presbyterian allowed it

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

No one was burned at the stake for translating the Bible. That was reserved for people viewed as serious heretics, fortune-tellers, witches and gays as fire was viewed as purifying them.

whirlingmerc

No one was burned at the stake for translating the Bible. That was reserved for people viewed as serious heretics, fortune-tellers, witches and gays as fire was viewed as purifying them.

Tyndale's body was burned
Actually... since he was a priest he was strangled before being burned as a professional curtesy.

Hus was burned (not strangled first) it does not appear he did anything heretical
John Huss

"In 1999 Pope John Paul II expressed «deep regret for the cruel death inflicted on Hus». 6 July 1415 the Church had condemned Jan Hus, and later had him burnt at stake." see Catholic Church regrets burning Jan Hus. Had three popes at the time of the crime

Last edited:

MJFlores

1 John 5:2-4 New International Version (NIV)
This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.

God's commands are easy and by keeping his commands, now that is how the children of God show their love for God. Now is there a command against witchcraft?
During the time of the Israelites, God gave this command:

Deuteronomy 18:10-11 New International Version (NIV)
Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead.

giphy.gif

How about for the true Christians? Did God allowed witchcraft? Did His decree changed?

Galatians 5:19-21 New International Version (NIV)
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But personally, I used to sing a song about witchcraft.
And that was a long time ago.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Tyndale's body was burned and his ashes scattered in a river?
Actually... since he was a priest he was strangled before being burned as a professional curtesy.

Hus was burned (not strangled first) it does not appear he did anything heretical
John Huss
He was burned on a charge of heresy for political reasons.

UpperLimits

Respectful question: How many of those prophets successfully engaged in activities that could be confused with witch-craft?

Probably not many. To "prophesy" in the OT mainly meant to speak, expound and exhort. Many people confuse forthtelling (telling forth - preaching, teaching, correcting) of the Word of God with foretelling (predicting future events) of the future. Two entirely different things.

While God did use both offices in the earlier parts of the OT, the two offices are completely separate. Isaiah was the prophet to combine both offices. But even in his ministry, the foretelling part was a much smaller portion of the work he did.

It needs to be understood that from the perspective of the reader of scripture (not the point of the critic here....) God would have been the one who holds eternity, both past and future, in His control. Therefore if He chose to reveal the future through one of His servants, then that would have been a perfectly normal and acceptable revelation and use of His divine power. Anyone else who chose to reveal the future - outside of this divinely approved method - was either a liar who was simply speaking his own vain ideas, or had communication with corrupted (demonic) sources.

Rational Agnostic

Under the theocracy that was Israel under the law, witches were executed as being under the control of satan.

In the Christian dispensation, a believer is enjoined to avoid them and all their trappings for the same reason.

"Witches" don't exist, and neither does witchcraft. The historical examples of women who were brutally executed for being accused of "witchcraft" for no rational reason whatsoever is a perfect example of why I agree so strongly with Jesse Ventura's quote "Religion is the root of all evil."

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Probably not many. To "prophesy" in the OT mainly meant to speak, expound and exhort. Many people confuse forthtelling (telling forth - preaching, teaching, correcting) of the Word of God with foretelling (predicting future events) of the future. Two entirely different things.

While God did use both offices in the earlier parts of the OT, the two offices are completely separate. Isaiah was the prophet to combine both offices. But even in his ministry, the foretelling part was a much smaller portion of the work he did.

It needs to be understood that from the perspective of the reader of scripture (not the point of the critic here....) God would have been the one who holds eternity, both past and future, in His control. Therefore if He chose to reveal the future through one of His servants, then that would have been a perfectly normal and acceptable revelation and use of His divine power. Anyone else who chose to reveal the future - outside of this divinely approved method - was either a liar who was simply speaking his own vain ideas, or had communication with corrupted (demonic) sources.
thank you.

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
The Bible says "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" and condemns all sorcery and fortune-telling. Of course that's the Bible, and not everyone views that book as authoritative.

............................well the KJV does.....................................................................

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
the KJV was a good literary effort at the time. King James who was raised presbyterian allowed it

However flawed it is as a translation (very), it is true that it is a very marvelous translation in it's literary value but other than that, I think it's inaccuracies and blatant distortion of the original text makes other translators quite nauseous.

sooda

Veteran Member

I agree.. Seems like most accused witches had some sort of property their neighbors coveted.... or were eccentrics. There couldn't have been many Bibles before the Guttenberg press.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

The Bible is "old". There was no internet, less books and lots of illiterate people. Fear is a big challenge to overcome in all humans. Fear is a major useful emotions to control humans

Once I was hacked by a Nigerian hacker who demanded money. I wrote back to him "I spend 10 years in India and am pretty good in witchcraft ... don't you dare threaten me again or I will use my black magic on you". I never heard again of this African hacker.

In short: It's just fear and ignorance that people are against Witches and Witchcraft. The Church is known to be an institute of big power for many centuries. There is only 1 way to gain/keep power and that is to manipulate people and using fear is a good one for that. Witchcraft is a good one to use, because no one can proof anything, and the unknown is scary to the unenlightened soul

Last edited: