• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Witches and witchcraft

Diamond

Real and convincing? I don't know. This is the best reason I have heard regarding sorcery and spell-casting: ( assuming these things exist )

Giving to one person, takes away from someone else. We, mortal humans, cannot make something from nothing. Sorcery and Spell-casting redirects energy that is intended for one destination, and delivers it to another destination. That's the difference between a prophet and a sorcerer. A prophet is able to discern divine will and help remove obstacles or create circumstances where this will is executed. A spell caster does not have access to this information. Perhaps they are executing divine will, perhaps not. If the spell ( or what ever ) is effective at making a change here in the material world, and it's not divine will; then, that energy was destined for something else. Therefore, at best, the result is harmful for one thing while it is benefiting something else.

Then there's the other side of witch craft, involving coercing or convincing demons, angels, and other super-natural elements to do humans favors or harm. That would be idolatry. The Biblical God of Abraham doesn't like it. Why not? I don't know. It's a preference, not practical. But, angels, demons, etc... Not something I'm familiar with.

Not familiar with spell-casting either. I'm just sharing the best answer I've heard regarding the question: "Spell-casting, why not"?

Hope this is helpful,

First of all I really appreciate the manner in which you explained things,It was not an attacking tone at all most Christians ,get an attitude and try to shove the bible of scriptures down my throat about it, like they are so correct in what they are saying. So thank you so much, you were very refreshing!!!

Now , I understand where you are coming from, its the same thing most believe. However I would like to shed some light on what you've heard. spell castings is only a very small potion of what witchcraft involves. We do not move energy from one place to another or manipulate energy at all, Yes, magick does involve energy, and intention, actually the description you gave about the prophet is actually what we do!!! we totally have access to these ways and information because we contact the divine spiritual realm to guide us and so we can learn different facts about spirituality.and it is totally of divine will. We have to live by the witches creed which states, we shall harm or bring harm to anyone, and if we do, it will come back on us 3 fold, we take our vows seriously , we can only operate out of love and concern we only use magick for good works, we help people who come to us. now, i have never heard that about us, involving coercing or convincing demons, angels, and other super-natural elements to do humans favors or harm.

I am so curious of where in the world you heard that. We don't even believe in Christian entities of the devil and demons and the devil's angels. so that would never be a fact. Now don't get me wrong , there a few of witches who do use their gifts for evil doings, but they actually aren't real witches because a real witch know better., but if a witch did do things of evil and wanted to carry out a dark spell to harm, believe me they are more than capable of carrying it out all by themselves, they would not need to ask a demon or devil's angels if there are such entitys to assist at all.. It really gets to me that people don't stop to think , about the fact that the devil would never give us gifts and powers to do the good deeds we do, We don't even believe in the Christian Devil and Demons, so if we don't even believe there is a devil, how could we be under the control of the devil.

I do not believe in the bible version of God and Christians version of God at all. I do believe in The Creator (God ) and I worship him, but not the God of Christianity!! I refuse to believe that The Creator God would operate in the manner of the bible God!! I don't believe in the Bible itself, because it has a very dark tone to it. and it really doesn't make sense to me of it's dogma and accountability The Bible God , is said to be a jealous,angry,vengeful,hell casting,murder,judgemental,self centered, boastful,narrow minded ,controlling , plague and famine sending,child killing,dominating, self centered,mean spirited God.

but yall say that he is a loving,kind, understanding ,merciful, forgiving all love God but that is very contradicting idea, because the things I have read in the bible about his works and orders of the Christian God,have nothing to do with Love or forgiveness or being merciful at all. and according to that storybook that is called the bible that everyone follows and believes in makes the witch and witchcraft seem like cotton candy and a walk in the park compared to the word of God. We should be the least of their worries, Christians should be worrying about if they are following a false idol ,but, if that's what they want to do,and believe and follow that fictional storybook called the bible then that's their prerogative. Just like it's my prerogative to have my beliefs. Hope I didn't bore you with this long post. I am a writer and I can get a little carried away,when I am expressing myself. So sorry, I do hope I have shared a little knowledge of the real truth about witches and witchcraft.
Have a blessed day.

Diamond

You sound like a Wiccan. As far as I am concerned, you aren´t the witches referred to in the Bible. You have a different religious belief, your right.

There is another kind of witch, and I know for a fact they exist. In college I went to a black mass conducted by a most beautiful satanic witch ( thatś why I went ! ). At the time I was an atheist and looked upon this as a lark.

I won´t go into detail, but there were prayers to satan, requests that he come among us. There was a ¨sermon¨ that was revolting. There were manifestations that I can only say were supernatural. I have tried for years to figure out what happened from a natural view, I cannot.

Frankly, it scared the hell out of me.

Anyway, those are the kind of witches that we must avoid at all costs

Actually she wasn't a true witch, she was a satanist ,operating truly under the Christian Devil. True witches do not operate in that way at all, it's against our beliefs and ethics!! but like in everything there are those few who go against the natural grain, Just like their are a few bad Christians, We just know to not associate with those kinds. I guess it did scare the hell out of you, I would have been petrified! !!! :fearful:.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
well Wicca is the religion,to be a witch doesn't mean you have to be Wicca

True, as there are various forms of witchcraft.

,and practicing Wicca doesn't mean you are a witch.do you consider yourself a witch?

Actual Wicca uses witchcraft in its rituals and upon initiation, the person is declared "both witch and priest(ess)". The word "wicca" is Old English for a male witch, the feminine form was "wicce".

leov

True, as there are various forms of witchcraft.

Actual Wicca uses witchcraft in its rituals and upon initiation, the person is declared "both witch and priest(ess)". The word "wicca" is Old English for a male witch, the feminine form was "wicce".
What is involved in initiation process ?

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Why are warlocks always overlooked?
Are they not as powerful as witches?
Is it a sex discrimination act?
Are they seen as more myth than a witch?

What's the reason

Men are witches as well and were persecuted along with women for witchcraft. In some areas, the number of men accused of being witches outnumbered women.

"Warlock" (from waerloga; waer = covenant, loga = betray) meant oathbreaker to indicate having broken one's covenant with the Christian god, so technically a female witch would be "warlock" too.

Men were mostly referred to as witch with warlock notably used in and around lowland Scotland.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW

The specifics are oathbound but in general, there are multiple elevations or Initiatory levels, typically three. Each comes after a period of training (traditionally, Wicca is a priesthood with tutelary deities). First degree generally is the acceptance of the dedicant/neophyte into the tradition and coven. Advancing elevations are attained after indication of the person's growth and progression as a witch and priest(ess) within the ways of the tradition.

leov

The specifics are oathbound but in general, there are multiple elevations or Initiatory levels, typically three. Each comes after a period of training (traditionally, Wicca is a priesthood with tutelary deities). First degree generally is the acceptance of the dedicant/neophyte into the tradition and coven. Advancing elevations are attained after indication of the person's growth and progression as a witch and priest(ess) within the ways of the tradition.
Is a procedure similar to ancient mysteries initiation like temple sleep, aka three day journey, aka sign of Jonah involved?

Bear Wild

I do not believe in the bible version of God and Christians version of God at all. I do believe in The Creator (God ) and I worship him, but not the God of Christianity!! I refuse to believe that The Creator God would operate in the manner of the bible God!! I don't believe in the Bible itself, because it has a very dark tone to it. and it really doesn't make sense to me of it's dogma and accountability The Bible God , is said to be a jealous,angry,vengeful,hell casting,murder,judgemental,self centered, boastful,narrow minded ,controlling , plague and famine sending,child killing,dominating, self centered,mean spirited God.

but yall say that he is a loving,kind, understanding ,merciful, forgiving all love God but that is very contradicting idea, because the things I have read in the bible about his works and orders of the Christian God,have nothing to do with Love or forgiveness or being merciful at all. and according to that storybook that is called the bible that everyone follows and believes in makes the witch and witchcraft seem like cotton candy and a walk in the park compared to the word of God. We should be the least of their worries, Christians should be worrying about if they are following a false idol ,but, if that's what they want to do,and believe and follow that fictional storybook called the bible then that's their prerogative. Just like it's my prerogative to have my beliefs. Hope I didn't bore you with this long post. I am a writer and I can get a little carried away,when I am expressing myself. So sorry, I do hope I have shared a little knowledge of the real truth about witches and witchcraft.
Have a blessed day.

I am curious, What creator god do you believe in and worship and why do you refer to this creator as him?

Bear Wild

Initiation processes are created by the people who comprise the group who want to practice together. There is no one way for the initiation process and many groups do not have an initiation process. Most draw on what can be found in the past but no pagan religion from Europe at least survived with intact rituals. Also there are many how practice witchcraft and wicca traditions as well as many other pagan traditions do so solitarily thus no initiation required.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Is a procedure similar to ancient mysteries initiation like temple sleep, aka three day journey, aka sign of Jonah involved?

Wicca is similar in that its initiations are transformative and facilitate spiritual access to experience the mysteries.

Bear Wild

Most religions have shamanism in their roots.
Interestingly there are many who do not like the term Shamanism since it was appropriated from the Tungusic people from eastern Siberia. The process that they use to enter into an altered states of consciousness however is shared by many religions. There has been some interesting megalithic sites that show the positioning of the stones perfect for drumming acoustics suggesting the process of using altered states of consciousness is a very old practice.
Easter Aquortheis and the passage grave – Camster round in Caithness have special acoustic properties. Newgrange and longcrew have comparable properties. In particular Camster Round the best rate of drum beat is 4 beats per second to create the ideal harmonics.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Do you believe that all that practice Wicca go through an initiation?

Wicca is an orthopraxic, initiatory priesthood of a mystery cult with tutelary deities. It maintains a body of knowledge that's transmitted from one initiate to the next. This is not attainable outside of the initiatory experience.

leov

Interestingly there are many who do not like the term Shamanism since it was appropriated from the Tungusic people from eastern Siberia. The process that they use to enter into an altered states of consciousness however is shared by many religions. There has been some interesting megalithic sites that show the positioning of the stones perfect for drumming acoustics suggesting the process of using altered states of consciousness is a very old practice.
Easter Aquortheis and the passage grave – Camster round in Caithness have special acoustic properties. Newgrange and longcrew have comparable properties. In particular Camster Round the best rate of drum beat is 4 beats per second to create the ideal harmonics.
medicine man may sound better, healer. Christ Jesus was a healer, physical and spiritual.

amorphous_constellation

What does the bible and it's followers have against Witches and Witchcraft,I'm looking for real and real convincing reasons?

Competition. If someone claims to have forged their own access to the divine through the willful use of magic, that most likely is going to represent an unsanctioned divine authority in the face of a state religion. So I guess I think that whenever government gets involved with religion, personal forays into things like divination and witchcraft are going to be prohibited. I think the great irony is that in the bible, prophets often seemed to just be random citizens, making them look an awful lot like independent witches or wizards. I think the law of Moses, which seemed to want to unify religion with government, does the whole concept of random prophecy no favors.

Bear Wild

Practicing Wicca without being initiated is like practicing Catholicism without being baptized.
Couldn't disagree with you more. You do not need to be initiated. There are so many individuals practicing without initiation. Everything you need to understand and practice Wicca is available without any initiation. You can be a solitary witch or wicca without priests or coven or whatever a group makes up. Everything about wicca is new even if it is based of off what we know of the past. Thus the gods and goddesses can be symbolic or real to someone who practices Wicca or you do not have to believe in any god or goddess. It is up to the individual to their practice. So you cannot compare being initiated in Wicca and baptism in Catholicism at all. They are so very different.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Couldn't disagree with you more. You do not need to be initiated. There are so many individuals practicing without initiation. Everything you need to understand and practice Wicca is available without any initiation. You can be a solitary witch or wicca without priests or coven or whatever a group makes up. Everything about wicca is new even if it is based of off what we know of the past. Thus the gods and goddesses can be symbolic or real to someone who practices Wicca or you do not have to believe in any god or goddess. It is up to the individual to their practice. So you cannot compare being initiated in Wicca and baptism in Catholicism at all. They are so very different.

While there are non-Initiatory practices that identify as Wiccan, they are not the same thing as traditional Wicca. These practices are actually eclectic paganism & witchcraft that borrow, to varying amounts, publicly known aspects of Wicca and its name but most certainly do not maintain the same thing. In fact, much of the time they barely resemble one another, varying in everything from what's borrowed from traditional Wicca and to what extent to what else they take additional influences from. These practices are not an evolution of the religion but developed externally of it, propelled by publishers who realized diy books to be a lucrative cottage industry.

That isn't a value statement regarding these myriad practices, simply they do not contain nor convey the same religion. It's no different to saying Druidry or Kemetism or some other practice aren't Wicca either. It's just an acknowledgement of them being different regardless of what parallels or similarities that might be observed.

Bear Wild

Wicca is an orthopraxic, initiatory priesthood of a mystery cult with tutelary deities. It maintains a body of knowledge that's transmitted from one initiate to the next. This is not attainable outside of the initiatory experience.

There may be those who consider themselves as Wicca that accepts an initiatory priesthood and tutelary deities but not all those who are Wicca do. Considering the origin of this religion is coming from the 1950s and how much diversity has developed since that time the beliefs, rites and rituals are all modern and diverse. There is no central organization to dictate the believes of Wicca or to determine how to practice. You do not need a priesthood to be wiccan. Most people share many similar values and beliefs but nothing is so organized to require an initiatory event or any organized belief or ritual.