• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Witchcraft on a budget

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I've been meaning to make this thread for a while now like a few months. When I first decided to make this thread I wasn't going to focus on tips for in the broom closet just on tips in general but I've spoken to a few RFers who are indeed in the broom closet since I started witchcraft. We want folks to be safe so I've decided to keep that in mind as I write this most of these budget saving tips will be discreet and not obviously witchy. I decided to post this here instead of the pagan dir cuz after all not all pagans are witches and not all witches are pagans. That being said I am a pagan witch so some of this may not apply to everyone who is a witch and will be geared towards pagans. This is also focused on the idea whoever reads this is new to witchcraft altho it may help folk who've been in the community a long time.

1. Altars dont have to be fancy should your practice include them. My first ever altar was a small silver box. That was all it was. You can just set a space in your room to meditate or something. Not only that but not all offerings to deities should you include them in you practice has to be food. You can devote acts and items to a deity. I play music on my phone as a devotional offering to Lucifer. Also you don't have to do offerings everyday if you can't afford it and a lot of folk do tend to eat their food offerings depending on the practice so not to waste food. Food is expensive. I certainly eat mine. I cant afford as a lower class person to not eat mine. Not all paths allow it but I did not know I could eat them I thought with all paths you couldnt when I first started out.

2. Get creative. Anything can be used in witchcraft. And you dont have to have traditional rules. You can make your own rituals. Nor do those rituals have to be elaborate. I for one bless my clothes and cast protection spells on them with saltwater before putting them in my closet. I also bless my jewelry and use them to cast spells. If it's in the house it can be used. You already have what you need usually.

3. You can often find certian items cheaper then others. Like instead of full blown candles you can get a pack of white tealights. Or birthday candles. If you want to have a certain colour candle and you don't have it you can even in a pinch carve the word of color you need in it. Like if you have a white candle but want to use black carve the word black into it. You don't need things to be fancy or pretty. Nor do you have to do things traditional. Many folk use wax to seal spell jars. But you can use glue too. No need for wax.

4. Some folks say you can't blow out candles at least on a few sites I've seen and that you need a thing to snuff it out. This is false. You can blow candles out. I haven't had a problem with it anyway and no one else I know has either.

5. Say you want to use an item. You don't need something of that item made for witchcraft. Let me explain. An athame is a knife often used in witchcraft. But you dont need an athame made for that purpose. Like you dont need a fancy one you get from a witch shop. You can get your average knife from the kitchen. If you want to use a chalice you can just use a bowl or a cup from the cabinet. You can also replace items. Like an athame can represent air in some practices but so can a branch you got off the ground outside

6. Be familiar with the plants you have outside and what their properties can be. Pine for example can be used for cleansing and banishing. And I don't have to go far for that. What do the plants you have after studying them mean to you? What do they represent in your opinion? That's what you can use them for for. One word of advice tho I caution against any kind of magick that involves eating a plant unless you are 100% sure it can be eaten. If you think it might be one type of plant but ain't 100% sure don't eat it. We don't want you vomitting and crapping yourself.

7. Toilet paper rolls. Fold one end shut put what you use in the other end then fold it shut on the other end. Works well as a spell jar.

8. Sigil spells and knot spells. Paper is cheap. String can be too but if you aren't an artistic person and are in the broom closet not wanting your family to wonder why you got a bunch of yarn when you don't knit you can tear bits of paper and use that or use pine straw or even the wrappers off plastic straws. Again get creative.

9. Poetry and music can be used to make spells. So if you are a writer or a music maker try that. You can also use both as offerings to deities should you have any.

10. Cat hair and dog hair can be used in certian types of spells. If you have animals and they shed a lot you might be able to use it. Don't pull the hair just brush it out.

11. Try to see what you do everyday. You might be able to incorapate magick in an everyday activity you already do. Example: do you have long hair that you brush? You can do spellwork while brushing or braiding your hair. When you shower you can use it to cleanse of negative energy. Cooking...that can be used in witchcraft.

12. If you broke and can't afford books, and can't go to the library(maybe ones not near you or they don't have a book on a topic you want to learn) the internet will be your best friend. First thing you should do: look up how to find a good source and how to find good info online. Then look up stuff on witchcraft. Take notes with everything.
You also may be able to find sites where you can read free books.

These are just some tips. Hope they help. Good luck. If any witches have any more tips or anything to add please comment.

Last edited:

VoidCat

another tip I just thought of:
If you want to do divination a regular pack of playing cards work. You dont have to use an actual tarot deck.

VoidCat

Become in tune with the land: Study your local geography, seasonal variation, weather patterns and flora and fauna.
Adding onto this...
Rainwater and water from say a lake or stream in general have properties in witchcraft and both are cheap to get. Just need a container to collect It in. It may be good for new witch to look up stuff like sun water,moonwater, rainwater, celestial water and how different waters can be used in witchcraft. Most of the water I use in witchcraft is celestial water cuz my dumb butt forgets I have water under the full moon trying to make moon water so then I leave it also under the sun as well and decide to make celestial water.

Not that's it's possible(it's not) to make pure moon water anyway but that's a discussion for another time

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Regarding food offerings: aren't you supposed to eat the food mindfully, giving it your full sensory attention, and allow the spirit to share your sensory experience? (Do spirits have actual sense organs of their own where they fully experience food?) Isn't this the reasoning behind communion with a spirit? Conversely, I was surprised that some cold-brew coffee I made in a ritual was the best hod-damned cold-brewed coffee I've ever tasted!

VoidCat

Regarding food offerings: aren't you supposed to eat the food mindfully, giving it your full sensory attention, and allow the spirit to share your sensory experience? (Do spirits have actual sense organs of their own where they fully experience food?) Isn't this the reasoning behind communion with a spirit? Conversely, I was surprised that some cold-brew coffee I made in a ritual was the best hod-damned cold-brewed coffee I've ever tasted!
That's what I do.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I think this varies on tradition. Some traditions say you must eat the offerings. Some have you leaving them in specific places. And others say absolutely not.

I had an offering that was physically taken from an altar once(it was a drink). That cleared up any misconceptions of what I should do with it...

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW

It depends on the tradition you follow or are influenced by. In Hellenic practices, you partake of offerings shared with celestial gods but don't partake of any made to underworld gods, whereas in Roman practices, offerings can be made profanus (no longer sacred) and can be consumed.