• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winter 2022 survival preparations

Are you making special survival preparations for this coming winter?

• Yes

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Some, but only incidental

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
That works best for me also, just reducing energy

That's what I did the past few years already (just consume less), so I am well trained now. I was quite radical in reduction, and my energy bills dropped like 90%. I am now working on "eating" the fridge content, so I need even less energy.

I do have quite some food items in my house, so I don't worry for "no food" in the next 6 month or so
Yeah, there usually are solutions for many people apart from the heating, and I suppose just restricting usage can help many.
I used to get some things delivered - quite a lot of frozen foods and such - but given the shopping is so close, I will just do more shopping, hence the freezer going. I have a fridge/freezer anyway. I actually threw out a lot of frozen food when I switched the freezer off. :oops:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What the French did in 1789. They won democracy by force.
Because it had been stolen from them.

And so they should all roll over to putins megalomania. Cool. Oh wait a moment, we have democracy now

We are talking 2022 and a common, democratic Europe wide problem.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Maybe get it from france who currently has over 12 months supply of gas in storage. I feel sure they will share some with a neighbour after all, Germany is in the EU too.
80 million Germans...20 million more than the French

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
And so they should all roll over to putins megalomania. Cool. Oh wait a moment, we have democracy now
Democracy in Europe? No. Moneyed and financial elites deciding alone in spite of the people. And despite the people's will.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Democracy in Europe? No. Moneyed and financial elites
deciding alone in spite of the people. And despite the people's will.

Do you vote for your MEP?

Yes.

Please provide evidence of said "Moneyed and financial elites" deciding alone against the wishes of the democraticay elected European parliament.

I do mean evidence and not right wing fascist propaganda by the way

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Do you vote for your MEP?

Yes.

Please provide evidence of said "Moneyed and financial elites" deciding alone against the wishes of the democraticay elected European parliament.

I do mean evidence and not right wing fascist propaganda by the way
It is the European Commission that decides. The European parliament has zero decisional power.
I didn't vote for the Baroness Von der Leyen.
No European citizen voted for her, actually.

ChristineM

Premium Member
It is the European Commission that decides. The European parliament has zero decisional power.
I didn't vote for the Baroness Von der Leyen.
No European citizen voted for her, actually.

Again. DID YOU VOTE FOR YOUR MEP?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
My goodness, an answer to a question

And she voted for leader... Thats how it works.
It is not a democratic process. If you elect someone, it is democracy.
If you elect someone who will have to elect someone else, that is not real democracy.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I actually threw out a lot of frozen food when I switched the freezer off. :oops:
Thanks, I find it also hard to throw sings away (I was trained from young age to never throw away food...parents were born around WW2.)

But I do need to throw away some food too. 1 year over expiry date is usually okay for frozen fruits/vegetables I think, but 3 years gets a bit much But then I think "what if there really is food shortage, and we get a winter as the news seems to predict now. I better keep it 6 more month". But anyway, the freezer I want to switch off as soon as possible, so now I start eating all the frozen stuff, and throw some stuff out

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Thanks, I find it also hard to throw sings away (I was trained from young age to never throw away food...parents were born around WW2.)

But I do need to throw away some food too. 1 year over expiry date is usually okay for frozen fruits/vegetables I think, but 3 years gets a bit much But then I think "what if there really is food shortage, and we get a winter as the news seems to predict now. I better keep it 6 more month". But anyway, the freezer I want to switch off as soon as possible, so now I start eating all the frozen stuff, and throw some stuff out
I did feel somewhat guilty, but all the energy used to cook this lot and keeping the freezer on seemed to be an issue. :oops:

Suave

Simulated character
Due to the undoing war in the Ukraine and associated shortages of energy and food supplies the coming winter in Europe portends to be difficult. If you live in Europe are you making special preparations for the coming winter?
I live in the U.S., nevertheless I am preparing for an energy supply shortage spillover from Europe to the U.S. as we transition from dirty carbon combustion energy sources to carbon-free clean renewable energy. I am planning to buy a solar plus battery powered portable generator. I am also going buy some thermal garments and sweaters to keep me warm as my thermostat will likely be set on 65 degrees this winter. I'd like to urge everybody to conserve energy this winter by not constantly consuming electricity to heat our homes where we can otherwise wear sweaters to stay warm, wearing multiple layers of clothing can keep us from shivering even in a chilled environment.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Btw, to conclude
there are no preparations. The people is furious. I have never seen my people as furious as it is now.
There are businesses that used to receive 1100 euros electricity bills, more or less.
After the economic war and the closure of the gas pipelines, the same businesses receive 10,000 euros electricity bills.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I live in the U.S., nevertheless I am preparing for an energy supply shortage spillover from Europe to the U.S. as we transition from dirty carbon combustion energy sources to carbon-free clean renewable energy. I am planning to buy a solar plus battery powered portable generator. I am also going buy some thermal garments and sweaters to keep me warm as my thermostat will likely be set on 65 degrees this winter. I'd like to urge everybody to conserve energy this winter by not constantly consuming electricity to heat our homes where we can otherwise wear sweaters to stay warm, wearing multiple layers of clothing can keep us from shivering even in a chilled environment.

People have to pay for electricity bills too...in Europe.
And they have skyrocketed.

Suave

Simulated character
People have to pay for electricity bills too...in Europe.
And they have skyrocketed.

"US natural gas exports to Europe have surged. Energy companies and traders are raking in huge profits selling US natural gas to Europe as prices there skyrocket. The US is now sending 60% of its liquefied natural gas exports to Europe, up from less than 20% this time a year ago."

Fortunately for me, my investment return in the Pro0Shares Ultra Bloomberg Natural Gas fund have almost doubled since the start of the Russia-Ukraine war, I expect this will more than pay for my expected higher electric bills this coming winter,

US Natural Gas Exporters Make a Killing Selling to Europe As Prices Soar (businessinsider.com)

boil-stock-price-1yr.png

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
"US natural gas exports to Europe have surged. Energy companies and traders are raking in huge profits selling US natural gas to Europe as prices there skyrocket. The US is now sending 60% of its liquefied natural gas exports to Europe, up from less than 20% this time a year ago."

Fortunately for me, my investment return in the Pro0Shares Ultra Bloomberg Natural Gas fund have doubled since the start of the Russia-Ukraine war, I expect this will more than pay for my expected higher electric bills this coming winter,

US Natural Gas Exporters Make a Killing Selling to Europe As Prices Soar (businessinsider.com)

The methane that Russia used to sell us was really cheap. I appreciate Americans' efforts but it's all useless, because the price of that liquefied natural gas is much higher. Ten times higher.
Not to mention that that liquefied natural gas needs a much bigger regasification plant which hasn't been built yet.
Meanwhile prices are really skyrocketing. I posted a video.
A bar that used to pay for 1,100 euros bills, now receives 10,000 euros bills.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I'm not in Europe but I'll be making the same preparations I make make every year... Cutting lots of firewood, which is the way I have heated my house my entire life.
Shooting more deer. I might have a temporary problem if the electricity goes out, but I do have the capability to smoke meat if need be.
The biggest issue is clean water, but I have a hand pump I'm pretty sure I could hook up.

Anyway, the issue is more likely to be empty shelves at the grocery store which should not be a problem.