• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winston Churchill was a monster

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It's not like Germany didn't just start a war against Russia with one of its sole strategies starving to death as many to people to make way for German settlers, for no real actual reason or gain, killing somewhere between 5-10 million civilians, not counting disease or starvation.

It's actually surprising Germany even still exists.
In the same way, I'm surprised that China hasn't nuked Japan off the face of the earth for what the Japanese did to them during WWII.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Harry Truman was the real monster.

Upon completion of the atomic bomb, Oppenheimer appealed to Truman suggesting that the bomb be detonated some miles off the coast of Japan. Oppenheimer believed that the Japanese would surrender upon seeing the 'power of the bomb', and that they should be given the chance to do so.

Truman rejected this idea, the result was that Oppenheimer was removed from Truman's office and, later, his security clearance revoked.

Later, the atomic bomb was dropped on Japan and started the Cold War in the same instant.

dust1n

Zindīq
In the same way, I'm surprised that China hasn't nuked Japan off the face of the earth for what the Japanese did to them during WWII.

I imagine a very great amount of tension still resides. But it was a long time ago now though. Getting to the point WW2 survivors start going.

Flankerl

If you want to point to starving Germans after a war there always is the aftermath of World War 1.

Most people don't know that Germany was blockaded from 1914 till June 1919, so till 8 months after the Armistice was signed.
All to make sure that they would sign the Treaty of Versailles, especially the ridiculous part of the war guilt.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Lol I posted a factual article and all the Churchill fanboys are crying because their role model was nothing more than a vicious tyrant.

And btw America saved Western Civilization. Not the Brits, or the Dutch or anyone else.

U.S. of A.
I'd hardly call myself a "Churchill fanboy". However the way you brush off British participation against Nazi Germany(the only state to fight from 1939 to 1945) is deeply disappointing.

Where does the book claim the former? I haven't read of all. I'm not a big non-fiction reader when it comes to books (I prefer to stick to horror and thriller novels), but I have the book on my computer.
Whenever there is an account of battles they are depicted as Germans defending themselves, including 1941-1943, which was the main years of the Barbarossa Offensive. He neglects to mention that Germany started these wars.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
If you want to point to starving Germans after a war there always is the aftermath of World War 1.

Most people don't know that Germany was blockaded from 1914 till June 1919, so till 8 months after the Armistice was signed.
All to make sure that they would sign the Treaty of Versailles, especially the ridiculous part of the war guilt.
Indeed, indeed.

Flankerl

(not so) Fun fact: The youngest brother and a sister of my Great great... Grandfather(who was an Officer in the Prussian Army) starved during the continued blockade of Germany after WW1.

Even today no one knows how many people starved during those 5 years. You can basically make up your own number from +200.000 to 500.000 or even more. You can't get a real number as the Allies downplayed everything and the Germans exaggerated numbers.

The victor really does write history. The "Rape of Belgium" is still a rather known event due to all the exaggerated Propaganda. But other events are relatively unknown.
Today most Germans don't know of the Blockade but some studies imply that the result of the Blockade can be still seen today in especially the older Generations who always horde food and rather eat more in case "something happens".

FTNZ

Agnostic Atheist Ex-Christian
Lol I posted a factual article and all the Churchill fanboys are crying because their role model was nothing more than a vicious tyrant.

And btw America saved Western Civilization. Not the Brits, or the Dutch or anyone else.

U.S. of A.

1. Several "facts" in the article are contested.
2. Those responding to your OP include females.
3. "Vicious tyrant" is an exaggeration, typical of the claims made in this thread, and compared to his adversary, Churchill can hardly be seen as this.
4. US involvement in the war *was* a decisive factor. No one here has claimed the Soviet Union was not the main reason the Allies won.
5. It's clear that the UK was not able to win the war without US help.
6. The Dutch capitulated early on and no one here has claimed otherwise.

FTNZ

Agnostic Atheist Ex-Christian

Upon completion of the atomic bomb, Oppenheimer appealed to Truman suggesting that the bomb be detonated some miles off the coast of Japan. Oppenheimer believed that the Japanese would surrender upon seeing the 'power of the bomb', and that they should be given the chance to do so.

Truman rejected this idea, the result was that Oppenheimer was removed from Truman's office and, later, his security clearance revoked.

Later, the atomic bomb was dropped on Japan and started the Cold War in the same instant.

The Cold War was being started earlier on in the course of WWII.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Churchil might have been a colossal ********. The Allies did some atrocious stuff. But I'd take Churchy and the Allies over Hitler any day of the week.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
The victor really does write history. The "Rape of Belgium" is still a rather known event due to all the exaggerated Propaganda..
What is particularly annoying to me personally is how few people seem to realize that "Invade through Belgium" wasn't only Germany's idea. The French had a plan identical to the German one, except obviously going in the other direction.

MD

qualiaphile
Bengal famine of 1943 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"By August 1943 Churchill refused to release shipping to send food to India.[65][66][67] Initially during the famine he was more concerned with the civilians of Nazi occupied Greece (who were also suffering from a famine) compared with the Bengalis,[68] noting that the "starvation of anyhow underfed Bengalis is less serious than that of sturdy Greeks"

BBC - Soutik Biswas's India: How Churchill 'starved' India

For those who consistently defend churchill, the wheat was from India.

"The scarcity, Mukherjee writes, was caused by large-scale exports of food from India for use in the war theatres and consumption in Britain - India exported more than 70,000 tonnes of rice between January and July 1943, even as the famine set in. This would have kept nearly 400,000 people alive for a full year. Mr Churchill turned down fervent pleas to export food to India citing a shortage of ships - this when shiploads of Australian wheat, for example, would pass by India to be stored for future consumption in Europe. As imports dropped, prices shot up and hoarders made a killing. Mr Churchill also pushed a scorched earth policy - which went by the sinister name of Denial Policy - in coastal Bengal where the colonisers feared the Japanese would land. So authorities removed boats (the lifeline of the region) and the police destroyed and seized rice stocks.

Mukherjee tracks down some of the survivors of the famine and paints a chilling tale of the effects of hunger and deprivation. Parents dumped their starving children into rivers and wells. Many took their lives by throwing themselves in front of trains. Starving people begged for the starchy water in which rice had been boiled. Children ate leaves and vines, yam stems and grass. People were too weak even to cremate their loved ones. "No one had the strength to perform rites," a survivor tells Mukherjee. Dogs and jackals feasted on piles of dead bodies in Bengal's villages. The ones who got away were men who migrated to Calcutta for jobs and women who turned to prostitution to feed their families. "Mothers had turned into murderers, village belles into whores, fathers into traffickers of daughters," writes Mukherjee."

Bengal Famine Of 1943 - A Man-Made Holocaust

“Churchill’s attitude toward India was quite extreme, and he hated Indians, mainly because he knew India couldn’t be held for very long. One can’t escape the really powerful, racist things that he was saying. It certainly was possible to send relief but for Churchill and the War Cabinet that were hoarding grain for use after the war.”

I'm sorry, maybe you people who have links to Britain see him as this great war hero. But to me and billions of south asians he was nothing short of a monster. To deliberately allow one of the worst famines in Indian history to happen, and to base that on racist policies does NOT make him a hero. It makes him a monster.

Facts are FACTS!

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I don't disagree as such, but I have reason to wonder if the Truman or even the atomic bombs themselves were much in the way of outliers. It seems that the monstrous air bombing was happening far before the atomic bombs were deployed, and the US people of the time were largely supportive of it.

Air raids on Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
(not so) Fun fact: The youngest brother and a sister of my Great great... Grandfather(who was an Officer in the Prussian Army) starved during the continued blockade of Germany after WW1.

Even today no one knows how many people starved during those 5 years. You can basically make up your own number from +200.000 to 500.000 or even more. You can't get a real number as the Allies downplayed everything and the Germans exaggerated numbers.

The victor really does write history. The "Rape of Belgium" is still a rather known event due to all the exaggerated Propaganda. But other events are relatively unknown.
Today most Germans don't know of the Blockade but some studies imply that the result of the Blockade can be still seen today in especially the older Generations who always horde food and rather eat more in case "something happens".

Early 20th century Europe increasingly seems to have been all too set on using its weapons on itself. It is so sad.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The 1770 Great Bengal famine, possibly the first famine in India, was a creation of British policies (indigo plantation, ban on weaving, land-tax contracts), but 1943 Bengal famine seems more of an administrative failure than some diabolical design of Winston Churchill. Of course, the War situation did exacerbate it.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
I don't disagree as such, but I have reason to wonder if the Truman or even the atomic bombs themselves were much in the way of outliers. It seems that the monstrous air bombing was happening far before the atomic bombs were deployed, and the US people of the time were largely supportive of it.

Air raids on Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course they would. The point is that Oppenheimer was opposed to the dropping of the bomb.