• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wine, not

rosends

I'm sure this has been dealt with somewhere but I was just wondering --

the rule against non-mevushal wine that was touched by a non-Jew is predicated on the idea that an idolater would not use cooked wine to serve his deity because of its inferior quality.

Now that mevushal wines are getting better and better (and, IIRC, some are winning awards against even non-mevushal wines) is there any thought to changing the rules of yayin nesech?

rosends

On the other hand, how common is it to use wine for idolatrous nesech today?
true, and what I have heard (somewhere...) is that many of the non-Jews of today aren't the same of the ovdei avoda zarah of the gemara. Lo plug I guess

rosends

Assuming that Church service that includes transubstantiation belief uses a mevushal wine (only one available?) would that mean that mevushal wines in the future (or at least that specific brand) would be subject to concerns over yayin nesech?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Assuming that Church service that includes transubstantiation belief uses a mevushal wine (only one available?) would that mean that mevushal wines in the future (or at least that specific brand) would be subject to concerns over yayin nesech?
Good question. Yein nesech has long not only been about wine used for idolatry. It has expanded to all non-Jews.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
an associated question -- while I know wine has a particular status, one has to wonder if being used for A"Z would impact other products...

Well, then you'd be canceling a de'oraita. And that's even if a particular court today had the power to rule such a gezerah.

rosends

Well, then you'd be canceling a de'oraita. And that's even if a particular court today had the power to rule such a gezerah.
Might there have to be some ruling about who can handle the matzah? Treat the open box like a bottle of non-mevushal wine. Just a thought.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Might there have to be some ruling about who can handle the matzah? Treat the open box like a bottle of non-mevushal wine. Just a thought.
I suppose there's some inherent difference between the way wine is made and the way matzah is made, to not entail a comparison.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The Dalton Winery has a statement on its website:

"By the way, kosher wines are not necessarily suitable for vegetarians and vegans."
Can a wine that uses milk casein as a fining agent be used with meat?

Also, from Wikipedia: Vegetarianism and Wine:

The most common animal product used for fining is gelatin, due to its potency and effectiveness. Gelatin is made from the boiling of animal parts. Wine specifically responds best to type A gelatin, which is derived from the boiling of pig's skin.[1] It takes only one ounce of gelatin to clarify 1,000 gallons of wine. Gelatin is used in both white and red wines to fix haze/color and to adjust the flavor or bitterness of the wine.​
I can only assume that kosher wines employ neither, but I've never really given it much thought.

rosends

Can a wine that uses milk casein as a fining agent be used with meat?

Also, from Wikipedia: Vegetarianism and Wine:

The most common animal product used for fining is gelatin, due to its potency and effectiveness. Gelatin is made from the boiling of animal parts. Wine specifically responds best to type A gelatin, which is derived from the boiling of pig's skin.[1] It takes only one ounce of gelatin to clarify 1,000 gallons of wine. Gelatin is used in both white and red wines to fix haze/color and to adjust the flavor or bitterness of the wine.​
I can only assume that kosher wines employ neither, but I've never really given it much thought.
from the same Dalton website
"Some winemakers may use compounds such as isinglass (a fish derivative), casein (a dairy compound) or gelatin (an animal byproduct). These latter two products will severely compromise the kashrut of the wine. Dalton uses only strictly supervised kosher products and certainly no diary products."

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
from the same Dalton website
"Some winemakers may use compounds such as isinglass (a fish derivative), casein (a dairy compound) or gelatin (an animal byproduct). These latter two products will severely compromise the kashrut of the wine. Dalton uses only strictly supervised kosher products and certainly no diary products."
Interesting. Thanks.

I've had Dalton wines, of course, but I particularly like Binyamin Yogev and Tulip.

We visited the very modest Tulip winery the last time we visited Zichron Ya'akov and the Beit Aaronsohn - Nili Museum. Probably our favorite wine experience was our stay at Carmey Avdat. We love the area!

rosends

I'm a little embarrassed to ask, but, out of curiosity, is all kosher wine vegan?
And I saw this image on my Facebook feed
Screenshot_20230704_081936_Chrome.jpg
but when I went to o the website I saw no mention of the vegan part.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
And I saw this image on my Facebook feed ... but when I went to o the website I saw no mention of the vegan part.
There is, however, the claim: "Pennsylvania's Premier Kosher Winer," which strikes me as underwhelming if not a bit frightening. :)