• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Willful Machines: Is AI a Threat to Humanity?

Nous

Premium Member
His premise is that when we meet intelligent life in the universe, it will probably have already advance to a non-organic stage. Earth is either too young or too backward I suppose.
OK, got it. I was thinking something else entirely.

Nous

Premium Member
That type of system would become obsolete obviously.
If someone is going to provide me with food, shelter, clothing, electricity, internet, phone, transportation, etc., for free, I'm good with that. I just can't envision how that system is going to work.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Illogical. An exact hypothetical copy of a living human brain, functionally, just materially different, ie inorganic. Would be by definition sentient.

Not just the brain but the entire central nervous system, this includes the 5 senses.

The brain is just a part of this. If we could duplicate the CNS, would the result be self aware?

Corvus

Feathered eyeball connoisseur
If someone is going to provide me with food, shelter, clothing, electricity, internet, phone, transportation, etc., for free, I'm good with that. I just can't envision how that system is going to work.
With full automation of all production, your physical labour is largely superflous to requirements there, however that will free humanity, eventually, from the drudgery of work and self sufficiency, allowing humans to pursue leisure exploration science the arts and various vocations. Are you an Ayn Rand devotee by any chance? Something tells me you might be.

Corvus

You are free to scurry off. Challenging someone to prove their absurd claims is not absurd.
You are asking me to a prove a hypothesis? Really? It's logically consistent enough, if you don't agree, fine, like Burger King, have it your way. I don't really care. So there.

Corvus

The brain is just a part of this. If we could duplicate the CNS, would the result be self aware?
I can't see how you could conclude otherwise, if the replica was 'exact' in every detail, but just using different non organic materials by design that emulate the same neurological architecture and processes, as organic human brains and rest of the nervous system.

Last edited:

Nous

Premium Member
With full automation of all production, your physical labour is largely superflous to requirements there, however that will free humanity, eventually, from the drudgery of work and self sufficiency, allowing humans to pursue leisure exploration science the arts and various vocations.
Musk said that "the robots will do everything, bar nothing." Apparently you disagree.

Are you an Ayn Rand devotee by any chance? Something tells me you might be.
Your intuitions are quite wrong.

Corvus

Musk said that "the robots will do everything, bar nothing." Apparently you disagree.
They will do everything that is cost inefficient for humans to do. Humans will still have plenty of things to do. Human produced items, hand made and bespoke goods as well as services, might fetch a premium. As luxury goods/services.

Nous

Premium Member
You are asking me to a prove a hypothesis?
Your proposition was: "An exact hypothetical copy of a living human brain, functionally, just materially different, ie inorganic. Would be by definition sentient." The challenge is for you to prove that your claim is true.

Corvus

Perhaps it might seem like extreme reductionism, but I don't see why not in theory a human brain couldn't be mapped and emulated in a highly sophisticated possibly quantum computer modeling program. Matrix style. Good stuff for sci fi ideas.

Corvus

Your proposition was: "An exact hypothetical copy of a living human brain, functionally, just materially different, ie inorganic. Would be by definition sentient." The challenge is for you to prove that your claim is true.
You want me to make a functional synthetic copy of a human brain?