• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Willful Machines: Is AI a Threat to Humanity?

Corvus

Feathered eyeball connoisseur
I wonder how that "partly able to make decisions and go against nature and instinct" happens. I wonder how anyone imagines a machine having the ability to do something it hasn't been programmed to do--which seems to me would be necessary in order for AI to threaten the existence of human civilization, as Musk seems to fear.
Construct an artificial or synthetic copy of a nascent human brain. That is able to reproduce the mapping and neuron connection ability of organic brains necessary for sentience as we understand it. Possibly by using organic templates. An off the cuff suggestion. Just the kind of direction my logic would lead me. I am aware the brain and its functional systems are largely a mystery theoretically. We still don't know how information is coded in neuron connections, we are not sure how memories are accessed, what emotions and intelligence are exactly as qualitative attributes of the brain, etc. So a future research area maybe.

Nous

Premium Member
Neither do I. I do find the general argument underlying it to be plausible though not so plausible that I'm worried about it.
True or false: The only way that machines will be a threat to humans is by machines developing or having a will of their own--in order to somehow prevent humans from unplugging them.

Nous

Premium Member
What? Nevermind. I have no idea what you are talking about. Sorry.
I was expressing that I have no idea what you were asking with this question: "Nous, why is (or other animal) a necessary addition in your view?"

Nous

Premium Member
Construct an artificial or synthetic copy of a nascent human brain. That is able to reproduce the mapping and neuron connection ability of organic brains necessary for sentience as we understand it. Possibly by using organic templates. An off the cuff suggestion. Just the kind of direction my logic would lead me. I am aware the brain and its functional systems are largely a mystery theoretically. We still don't know how information is coded in neuron connections, we are not sure how memories are accessed, what emotions and intelligence are exactly as qualitative attributes of the brain, etc. So a future research area maybe.
It is known that brains are architecturally different from digital computers: https://www.scienceabc.com/humans/the-human-brain-vs-supercomputers-which-one-wins.html

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The question of the thread is whether any such hypothetical "immensely powerful thinking[?] machine" could decide on its own to act contrary to its program.

Yeah, when have we ever been so stupid as to build a machine without an OFF button?

The term ai answers your first. Its original programming would be only a starting point to an ai. It learns and adapts to that learning.

For your second, essentially, yes. However, i was being flippant, an ai would necessarily be ubiquitous, therefore lots of off switches, or a deliberate cross continents power cut.

Corvus

I am saying replicate a human mind synthetically, you will have sentient AI. In theory.

Nevertheless, if making a living in the future entails some kind of productive work and making products, then we can't have a world where all production is automated because no one would be able to afford to buy the products. E.g., in order for there to be self-flying planes, some number of people are going to have to be doing something to make enough money in order to buy tickets.

Higher unemployment =/= nobody being able to afford things

What % of the world population now has ever taken a plane anyway?

Future Emirates isn't going to open a candle factory just so a few extra people can go on holiday though, they will take care of their own business and adjust accordingly.

Emotions and inbuilt biases and irrationalities do not create free will, does it?

It's part of the reason they won't be like humans though.

Nous

Premium Member
I am saying replicate a human mind synthetically, you will have sentient AI. In theory.
I take it you mean: "replicate a human brain synthetically, you will have sentient AI."

I can't think of any reason to conclude that statement is true. In the first place, surely humans are not the only sentient creatures. Moreover, sentience is not the same as will. Machines that are merely sentient, without being willful, would seem to pose no threat to humans.

Corvus

I can't think of any reason to conclude that statement is true.

Illogical. An exact hypothetical copy of a living human brain, functionally, just materially different, ie inorganic. Would be by definition sentient.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
My first question about that proposition is: Why haven't machines already taken over and made organic life obsolete? I mean, surely there are intelligent organic beings who are many, many times older and more evolved than humans. Why haven't they ushered in this change to a machine-based universe?

His premise is that when we meet intelligent life in the universe, it will probably have already advance to a non-organic stage. Earth is either too young or too backward I suppose.

Or maybe he's been watching too many Transformer movies. :shrug:

Nous

Premium Member
Illogical. An exact hypothetical copy of a living human brain, functionally, just materially different, ie inorganic. Would be by definition sentient.
Prove it.

("Prove it" means state the proposition, substantiate the the proposition is true, then make the deduction.)