• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will you take the vaccine, when it's available?

Will you take the vaccine when it's available?

• Yes

Votes: 40 75.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters

Dave Watchman

They may be referring to antibodies, which don't last very long after infection. However, B, and T cells can last for decades. People who got infected with Sars1 in 2003 still have B and T cells that were generated by that infection.

https://www.healio.com/hematology-o...immune-system/components-of-the-immune-system

I know.

It just depends if your expert, in the generic virus article, is better than my expert in the Covid article.

It mainly depends, as it always did, on when Covid decides for itself that it wants to mutate itself away.

But all the way back since Wuhan, I've been reading of cases of re-infection due to the multiple mutations.

I'll google a quick expert on the spot now:

WHO warns Covid reinfections may occur as data suggests antibodies wane
Published Fri, Dec 4 20201:04 PM ESTUpdated Fri, Dec 4 20202:40 PM EST

“We have seen the number of people infected continue to grow, but we’re also seeing data emerge that protection may not be lifelong, and therefore we may see reinfections begin to occur,” Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO’s health emergencies program, said during a press briefing at the organization’s Geneva headquarters. “So the question is: What are the levels of protection in society?”

Reinfection means that a person was infected with the virus, recovered and then later became infected again, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Based on the CDC’s experience with other viruses, Covid-19 reinfections are expected, the agency said.
WHO warns Covid reinfections may occur as data suggests antibodies wane

In this environment, I really doubt we'll snap back to normal thanks to a magic bullet.

We've had the Flu vaccine for around 78 years.

But we still get the Flu.

I'll let you guys go first.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Draconian much?

It's called "a joke". Although I was making the serious point that subjects like this are complicated it takes a lot of hard work to understand them (at least as much as understanding electronics and software well enough to deign a smart phone). People spend their entire lives studying this sort of thing. So if some bunch of clueless numpties on YouTube or whatever, tell the world how you've got wrong, it must be very frustrating...

Heyo

Veteran Member
I'm encouraged that the number who say "yes" is almost 80%, although one could wish it to be a little higher.
With an efficacy of 90% it is just enough to reach the 70% threshold that is necessary for herd immunity. But that is just for RF members who I estimate to be more pro vaccine then the general public. :-(

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
As much as I wish that were true, that doesn't seem to be the case. My sister works in the medical field, and has seen people infected a second time(the second time usually being worse than the first, sometimes claiming a life).
So... how long does the vaccine last?

Kenny

Premium Member
Not really. Having it may only give temporary immunity. People have had it again. And for some it was much worse the second time around. When the time comes get a vaccine. I plan to.
So the same for the vaccine?

Dave Watchman

With an efficacy of 90% it is just enough to reach the 70% threshold that is necessary for herd immunity. But that is just for RF members who I estimate to be more pro vaccine then the general public. :-(

Time will tell.

My bet is the herd will enjoy a time sensitive immunity.

90 days at best until their immunity passport expires.

In October the minks in Denmark contracted the human version of Covid circulating at the time over there.

While they were busy culling the minks, the UK imposed a 14 day quarantine on travelers arriving from Denmark.

Then news came of mink farmers testing positive from a new mutation coming from the same minks.

Over 200 humans getting infected by a quickly mutating stain of the novel virus.

It mutated that fast.

The Brits appeared to be taking it very seriously.

And on November 8, the UK banned all arrivals from Denmark.

Flights and ships from Denmark to England banned amid coronavirus fears

Planes and ships travelling directly from Denmark, and accompanied freight, will no longer be able to land or dock at English ports.

The overnight move was made in response to fears about a new coronavirus mutation from mink bred at Danish farms transmitting to humans.

Travellers from Denmark lost UK quarantine exemption in the early hours of Friday. This was followed on Saturday by an unprecedented outright ban on non-UK travellers from Denmark – and the requirement for flight crew arriving from there to self-isolate.

In its third successive early-morning announcement, the Department for Transport (DfT) has imposed more stringent rules than for any other country.

The statement read: “Passenger planes and ships travelling directly from Denmark, and accompanied freight, will no longer be able to land or dock at English ports.”

When we're dealing with something having the ability to mutate this fast, I won't mind waiting until the next mutation or two.

You guys go first.

Last edited:

Wandering Monk

Time will tell.

In October the minks in Denmark contracted the human version of Covid circulating at the time over there.

While they were busy culling the minks, the UK imposed a 14 day quarantine on travelers arriving from Denmark.

Then news came of mink farmers testing positive from a new mutation coming from the same minks.

Over 200 humans getting infected by a quickly mutating stain of the novel virus.

It mutated that fast.

Planes and ships travelling directly from Denmark, and accompanied freight, will no longer be able to land or dock at English ports.

The overnight move was made in response to fears about a new coronavirus mutation from mink bred at Danish farms transmitting to humans.

Travellers from Denmark lost UK quarantine exemption in the early hours of Friday. This was followed on Saturday by an unprecedented outright ban on non-UK travellers from Denmark – and the requirement for flight crew arriving from there to self-isolate.

In its third successive early-morning announcement, the Department for Transport (DfT) has imposed more stringent rules than for any other country.

The statement read: “Passenger planes and ships travelling directly from Denmark, and accompanied freight, will no longer be able to land or dock at English ports.”

When we're dealing with something having the ability to mutate this fast, I won't mind waiting until the next mutation or two.

You guys go first.

According to Nature, the mutation rate of Covid19 is half that of influenza. Also, mutation can be less dangerous as well as more dangerous.

Wandering Monk

'They tested antibodies extracted from the blood of people who had survived COVID-19 infections on both the new and old strains, and they found no significant differences in how well those antibodies worked to neutralize the virus.

That’s good news, because it means people who recover from an infection with the original strain might still have some protection against the new strain.'

Study: New Mutation Sped Up Spread of Coronavirus

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
So, how long does the vaccine last?

Not sure anyone knows exactly? But I have heard of people getting it more than once. Best to be safe and get the shot - maybe you can wait longer to get it, after the more vulnerable are taken care of.

Dave Watchman

This guy in the video didn't look that out of shape.

I was surprised to see him in a wheel chair when he got home.

UK begins COVID-19 vaccine rollout

Dave Watchman

Time will tell.

It mutated that fast.

You guys go first.

I couldn't find this thread in the "my content' link, only much older posts that I made.

The only way I could figure out to find more of my recent posts was to click on the "ratings given", or the "ratings received" links.

So I better give a rating on every thread that I post on, or I'll never find the thread again.

I see news of two new coronavirus "variants" in the UK and in South Africa.

Is said to have a greater measurable viral load.

UK:

Exclusive: Alarming new evidence on coronavirus mutation could bring tougher restrictions

The Prime Minister called an unscheduled meeting of senior ministers on Friday night to discuss how to contain the new variant

By Amy Jones, Political Correspondent and Gordon Rayner, Political Editor 18 December 2020 • 8:32pm​

SA:

New COVID-19 variant identified in SA
Dec 18th, 2020|Minister Mkhize Speaks

Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize on Friday announced that a variant of the SARS-COV-2 Virus (COVID-19) – currently termed the ‘501.V2 Variant’ – has been identified by genomics scientists in South Africa.

This particular virus has three mutations on the receptor-binding domain, which is the actual part of the virus that attaches to the human cell. One of the interpretations of these changes is that it increases the affinity for the ACE2 receptor. The other two mutations possible add some potential antibody escape but the full implications of the combination of the three mutations still need to be understood in more detail.”

Karim said the new variant has increased viral loads in the body.

“When we look at this new variant, the CT score is lower than the other viruses that have been spreading during our first wave. It means that the amount of virus in the swab is higher. A lower score means a higher amount of virus: we refer to that as the viral load. When we do a swab, we are getting a lot more virus in these patients that have the 501.V2 virus,” he said.

“The higher viral load in these swabs may translate to a higher efficiency of transmission. If there’s higher transmissibility, it may translate to a higher R0 (the number of additional people one patient may infect). While the other viruses are still transmitting, this virus is spreading so much faster that when we take swabs it is the dominant variant that we see. This may translate into a second wave that may have many more cases than the first wave.

We do know that it is an unusual variant. It has been reported in other countries, including the UK, Australia and several others. In our country, we are finding between 80 and 90% of the virus is this 501.V2 mutant.”

New COVID-19 variant identified in SA - SA Corona Virus Online Portal
Peaceful Sabbath.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Also regarding medicine and religion. as deep as I have gotten in religous studies in these years of my life. It has become a very strict religous no no. The whole history of the snake in the garden thing. The snake with its enticement of "you will not die" along with other implications of snakes and medicine in old writings. And the iconic snake on the medical staff thing
In one version of Hermes' myth, he is given the staff by Apollo, the god of healing . In another version, he receives the staff from Zeus, the king of the gods, and it is entwined with two white ribbons. The ribbons were later replaced by serpents, as one story tells that Hermes used the stick to separate two fighting snakes , who then coiled around his staff and remained there in balanced harmony.

Kenny

Premium Member
How bad was your experience? How are you now?
Thanks for asking...

My wife simply had loss of taste and smell that came back here a little and there a little... All is restored now!

For me it was a fever and lots of coughing. No lack of breathing, but coughing until it hurt. Weakened me, but my strength returned. Lost 10 pounds in the process but I am back to normal weight.

Dave Watchman

UK:

Exclusive: Alarming new evidence on coronavirus mutation could bring tougher restrictions

The Prime Minister called an unscheduled meeting of senior ministers on Friday night to discuss how to contain the new variant

By Amy Jones, Political Correspondent and Gordon Rayner, Political Editor 18 December 2020 • 8:32pm
SA:

Dec 18th, 2020|Minister Mkhize Speaks

Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize on Friday announced that a variant of the SARS-COV-2 Virus (COVID-19) – currently termed the ‘501.V2 Variant’ – has been identified by genomics scientists in South Africa.

This particular virus has three mutations on the receptor-binding domain, which is the actual part of the virus that attaches to the human cell. One of the interpretations of these changes is that it increases the affinity for the ACE2 receptor. The other two mutations possible add some potential antibody escape but the full implications of the combination of the three mutations still need to be understood in more detail.”

Karim said the new variant has increased viral loads in the body.

“When we look at this new variant, the CT score is lower than the other viruses that have been spreading during our first wave. It means that the amount of virus in the swab is higher. A lower score means a higher amount of virus: we refer to that as the viral load. When we do a swab, we are getting a lot more virus in these patients that have the 501.V2 virus,” he said.

“The higher viral load in these swabs may translate to a higher efficiency of transmission. If there’s higher transmissibility, it may translate to a higher R0 (the number of additional people one patient may infect). While the other viruses are still transmitting, this virus is spreading so much faster that when we take swabs it is the dominant variant that we see. This may translate into a second wave that may have many more cases than the first wave.

We do know that it is an unusual variant. It has been reported in other countries, including the UK, Australia and several others. In our country, we are finding between 80 and 90% of the virus is this 501.V2 mutant.”

New COVID-19 variant identified in SA - SA Corona Virus Online Portal

I was watching this UK briefing yesterday morning and it did sound a bit concerning, combined with the other news. Boris said the velocity of transmission is increasing due to the new variant.

And it must also have sounded concerning with the other countries in Europe as, starting with the Netherlands, they are beginning to ban travel with the UK.

Breaking: Austria joins Italy, The Netherlands and Belgium in banning all flights to/from the UK because of a new strain of #COVID19 spreading across Britain
8:35 AM · Dec 20, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/1340652003555483648

#BREAKING WHO Europe calls for more controls over risk from new virus variant
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1340649122106404873

The Jerusalem Post
@Jerusalem_Post

"We need to close the whole world immediately," Prime Minister
@netanyahu
said in a Coronavirus Cabinet meeting on Sunday, following the discovery of a new, highly infectious variant of the novel #coronavirus disease in the #UK.
https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/1340618459428904961

Eric Feigl-Ding
@DrEricDing

·
11h
9) The paper on the new UK strain is now published. It’s very troubling. The virus’s mutations are not just in the spike protein (latches human cells), but many of the mutations are in critical **receptor binding domain** of the spike that latches human cells. And in/near furin.

ZFsJkpWU_mini.jpg

Dr. Ali Nouri
@AliNouriPhD
· 11h
1/
The UK #SARSCoV2 variant reported to be 70% more transmissible harbors a set of mutations in the Spike protein––the part of the virus that touches the human ACE2 receptor and allows the virus entry into our cells. One mutation, N501Y, allows Spike to bind ACE2 more tightly

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1340528956848615425