• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will you take the vaccine, when it's available?

Will you take the vaccine when it's available?

• Yes

Votes: 40 75.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Although I'm no doctor, I have a pretty good range of knowledge of general medicine (my doctor always asks, "what do you need me for?" when I self-diagnose correctly). And I'm no scientist, though I have a reasonable grounding in general science, and several disciplines.

The notion of getting a shot in the arm with the new vaccines soon to be availble isn't in the slightest frightening to me. In fact, it's so welcome that, believe me, my sleeve is already rolled up in anticipation of when I can get onto the priority list (at 73, almost, I suspect I'm on about list number 3 -- not perfect, but hopefully good enough).

I have had every vaccination available to me in my life, with one exception. I get the flu shot every year religiously (yes, the atheist said that), because the last time I had the flu, it was so bad it scared me into a lifelong commitment to being vaccinated every year.

The one shot I didn't get was against shingles -- and guess what? Yes, I got shingles! Freaking horrible -- almost lost my left eye to it.

So, will you get a shot, or won't you? Why or why not?

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, I will. And that is after recently being tested Covid positive. Not to worry too much. I was tested after I got through the worst of it. Rather high temperature and some rather strong body aches. None of the more threatening symptoms arose for which I am very thankful. Having the virus is not enough to stop a reinfection and it is sometimes worse the second time around.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yes.

I've had every vaccine available and plan to get this one.

I will check with my pro-vaccination doctor just to verify there's nothing to be concerned about except short-term side-effects and go for it.

When I had the new shingles vaccination, I had side-effects but as you noted in the OP, shingles itself is a much more fraught thing as COVID is.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Although I'm no doctor, I have a pretty good range of knowledge of general medicine (my doctor always asks, "what do you need me for?" when I self-diagnose correctly). And I'm no scientist, though I have a reasonable grounding in general science, and several disciplines.

The notion of getting a shot in the arm with the new vaccines soon to be availble isn't in the slightest frightening to me. In fact, it's so welcome that, believe me, my sleeve is already rolled up in anticipation of when I can get onto the priority list (at 73, almost, I suspect I'm on about list number 3 -- not perfect, but hopefully good enough).

I have had every vaccination available to me in my life, with one exception. I get the flu shot every year religiously (yes, the atheist said that), because the last time I had the flu, it was so bad it scared me into a lifelong commitment to being vaccinated every year.

The one shot I didn't get was against shingles -- and guess what? Yes, I got shingles! Freaking horrible -- almost lost my left eye to it.

I will not rush out to get it, but I will indeed get it.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I will get it if it becomes available to me. I'm pretty low on the list, live a relatively secluded life and can do with isolation easily. There are other people who need it more than I do.

This is a good point. In Ohio, they've rolled out a plan for distribution.

The federal government has advised that the Ohio Department of Health will not know the exact number of vaccines that will be shipped to Ohio until closer to each shipment date. The current shipment figures, which are subject to change, are as follows:

• On or around December 15, a shipment from Pfizer will include 9,750 vaccines for Ohio's prepositioned hospital sites. An additional 88,725 vaccines will go to Walgreens and CVS for congregate care settings.
  • On or around December 22, a shipment of 201,000 vaccines is expected from Moderna. These vaccines will go to 98 hospitals for vaccination of those who are exposed to COVID patients and to 108 health departments to vaccinate other frontline workers such as those working in emergency medical services.
  • On or around December 22, another shipment is also expected from Pfizer. The tentative number of vaccines in this shipment is 123,000. These vaccines will go to Walgreens and CVS for vaccination of those in congregate care settings.
  • A few days later, Ohio expects another 148,000 vaccines from Pfizer and 89,000 vaccines from Moderna.
COVID-19 Update - December 4, 2020

I personally won't be seeing it until next year at the earliest.

Of course.

Yes, I will. And that is after recently being tested Covid positive. Not to worry too much. I was tested after I got through the worst of it. Rather high temperature and some rather strong body aches. None of the more threatening symptoms arose for which I am very thankful. Having the virus is not enough to stop a reinfection and it is sometimes worse the second time around.

The evidence is pretty strong that getting the virus provides some temporary immunity, but no one knows exactly how much or for how long, so yeah, getting the vaccine is still a good idea, and that's why everyone will probably need to get vaccinated at least every year.

74x12

Yes. I wish to protect others around me that are more vulnerable than me, such as those that are immunocompromised, the elderly, etc.
Better do more research on how some vaccines may immunize the receiver but the receiver can become a carrier or spreader of the disease for a time.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I believe in vaccines, but not without some due consideration. The last vaccine I got was a few years back for tetanus.

It's a bit troubling to me that the CDC's standard schedule calls for about 25% more vaccines than Europe's, but our healthcare results are inferior to Europe's. Couple that with the rush, and I think I'll wait and see, a bit. I'm in a very remote, low risk area.

But ultimately, yes, of course.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe I will. It doesn't make me uncomfortable that I'm probably towards the bottom of the list to receive it(36 and don't work in the public sphere). I would like to see how it affects others. I am sure it is fine, but seeing it work well on other people would make me feel more secure.

I do wonder how the uninsured will pay for it... or if they can.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a university professor with asthma. I also want to start eating at restaurants again and to get on an airplane.

I will take the vaccine as soon as they let me.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No. I'm going to scream and whine and complain about my individual freedoms, and cite every conspiracy site I can how this is a way for the government to track us with implants.

Just kidding. I'm not a moron. I'll be a responsible and intelligent citizen and do my part, not just for myself, but for the protection of others.