• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will trump survive the mid terms and impeachment

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Ive been reading about what it would take to impeach trump and even if it happened Bill Clinton was but got a not guilty verdict.

Trump reminds me of Nixon and watergate although Nixon was left no alternative other than to quit, trump however is delivering on his promises so I can't see any republicans walking out on him as they did Nixon.

Has trump managed to mould public sentiment to his advantage, in the words of Abraham Lincoln "In this age, in this country, public sentiment is everything. With it, nothing can fail; against it, nothing can succeed. Whoever moulds public sentiment goes deeper than he who enacts statutes, or pronounces judicial decisions.”

So will trump survive the mid terms and impeachement?.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Ive been reading about what it would take to impeach trump and even if it happened Bill Clinton was but got a not guilty verdict.

Trump reminds me of Nixon and watergate although Nixon was left no alternative other than to quit, trump however is delivering on his promises so I can't see any republicans walking out on him as they did Nixon.

Has trump managed to mould public sentiment to his advantage, in the words of Abraham Lincoln "In this age, in this country, public sentiment is everything. With it, nothing can fail; against it, nothing can succeed. Whoever moulds public sentiment goes deeper than he who enacts statutes, or pronounces judicial decisions.”

It's pretty obvious Trump Will Survive the midterms. Well I'm certainly going to do my part and head to the election booth, it looks like this could very well be a flip of the coin. I don't see the comparison with Trump and Nixon unless of course there's real incriminating (hard) evidence on the level of the Nixon Watergate tapes.

If the Dems have a favorable outcome expect a lot of the same filibustering and the status quo continuing on as it always has with a no-show House and Senate. Business as usual in other words.

Of course I have no desire to see that come to fruition, yet still prepared for it all the same although I'm optimistic about the midterms as things stand.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

Remember that Trump has only a minority of public sentiment with him.

And if the Dems get the authority to subpoena witnesses and documents we will see a lot of new evidence come to light. Trump and the pubs have managed to orchestrate a coverup over the last two years, but that will come to an end very quickly.

Shad

Veteran Member

Yup x2. The House does not have enough seats for election to end up with a Dems super-majority. There are not enough never Trump GOP seats in the House to flip. (This is based on information now) for impeachement. I doubt the GOP will lose the Senate. It will be the status quo really. The House has been the source of obstruction of Trump's policy before midterms, it will be after regardless of the outcome. If Dems win the House, or at least win of a majority of the seats running, Trump can shift optic from blaming never Trump GOP to incoming Dems seats. The optics will play out for 2020 regardless of outcome.

The only question is if Dems are willing to waste time or take the risk for a perjury trap slip up. A gamble impeachment. Failure has obvious optics. The alternatives are give up the agenda or wait for a crime to be linked directly to Trump to get the GOP to flip.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
if the Dems get the authority to subpoena witnesses and documents we will see a lot of new evidence come to light.

Or not.
In a way this is why on some level I would like to see a democrat majority voted in so we see all the claims and accusations put to the test and find out whether there is actual evidence or if it was/is all just an exercise in partisan mudslinging just to see how much would stick. If the dems do get the house and they bring to the table every accusation but facts don't support them, will they admit they are wrong and apologize to Trump and the nation and stop the divisive rhetoric or will they just go on to some other little scheme?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Nixon's situation was somewhat different, since what really killed him legally was his propensity to want to tape record everything said at the White House. And the prosecutors wanted the tapes that he was unwilling to give up. It was also a different time frame, since there were still those back then who believed in higher principles, whereas the cultural changes of the late 70s, 80s, and 90s turned the country away from that, into a more cynical, dog-eat-dog, he-who-dies-with-the most-toys-wins philosophy which dominates the social consciousness nowadays.

There is no social consciousness in America today, not like there was back in the 60s and early 70s. Even the much maligned "SJWs" of today - they don't care if anyone eats better or has better housing or job opportunities. All they really care about is that no one says anything deemed "offensive" or "politically incorrect," but apart from that, it's "screw everyone so I get more." Trump is merely a product of this "screw everyone" mentality which dominates popular culture, so it's a little difficult to get rid of Trump while still embracing the same philosophy which created him and led to his rise in the first place.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If the Dems take the House, they will probably focus on investigating and impeaching Trump. A lot of people will be disappointed with that -- they want them to focus on economic issues for the middle class and poor.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Something like Watergate. Its not supposed to be easy to impeach him, because that would make the executive branch too weak. In Parliament its pretty simple to have a no confidence vote to change the prime minister, because there are not concrete terms of office. Senators here also have four year terms. Representatives have two year terms. The terms are automatic removals from office, so this makes impeachment a lot less pressing than if there were an open ended period of time. To impeach a president requires him doing something obvious and odious even to his own party. So far nothing has been odious enough to arouse the party. Instead it has always fallen into line behind him, and gripes have been silenced by the party officials. I thought they were going to get rid of him before he got through the political debates, but they didn't. He made it through, and so he's their candidate.

No, I think he has dirt on some important party members. Who gave him the information I cannot know. What makes me think so is the way his opponent Chris Christie did a u-turn and endorsed him when there were still eight other potential candidates. Conspiracy theory!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I lost hope for that narcissistic egomaniac being punted from an office they had no business being in as I watched most of the Republican representatives systematically abandon what I thought were trivially basic standards of ethics and common decency. It's not something I would have predicted, and it was just shocking to watch it unfold. Kudos to the few Republican representatives who have kept their decency in tact and stood up against that bully, but they are few and far between. Thank gods some of them have preserved civil discourse and proper decorum, and the best I'm hoping for out of this election is a recovery from this collective insanity and a return to more normalized political dialogues.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Since it is likely that the Republicans will hold on to the Senate, even if the House passed articles of impeachment it's highly unlikely that the Senate would remove him. Nor do I think it likely that the Dems would even go for articles because of the backlash that would be likely.

However, if Mueller's conclusions in his report show significant corruption on Trump's part, all bets are off.