• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will this pandemic lead to permanent or long lasting changes to our society?

Nimos

And what will they be?
I think it will, the determining factor is how this virus turns out to be in the end when we know more about it. Because if its like a flu, that mutate and reoccur each year, roughly at the same time, it will have huge consequences, as everyone will need to have a vaccine, if possible. If that is not possible for whatever reason. Obviously all companies making a living off tourism, traveling by planes on holidays etc. Is not going to make it.

I think its safe to say that people choosing to go on holidays this summer is going to be very very low, which one can only guess how much is going to cost these travelling companies, as it is probably considered the best time of the year for them. But also a huge amount of people around the world rely on tourism, which are not going to make any or hardly any money this summer. So if that is going to happen each year, these businesses are done for as far as I see it.

So again, depending on how all this turns out to work in the end, it can be very bad. But even just one year with loosing so much money in tourism is going to cost a lot of people a lot of money I think.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
And what will they be?

I think the biggest concern is the spread more so than the virus itself. If it wasn't contagious, then there would be a better handle on the situation. Especially if it wasn't worldwide rather than isolated in nature

As for change, probably for a month or so people would be struggling through the aftermath. We'd probably be a bit more health conscious for a little bit more. Most definitely, we would keep hearing about it and the updates.

I'm not too concerned about long lasting changes, as long as they understand it towards treatment and cure, I'm good. We also have to accept we don't control nature. So, "the virus attacking" and "the war on the virus" is like we can't accept some things are out of our control. But I do think there would be more of a flatting curve when the spread dies down (how? Don't know. Virus doesn't just disappear).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I hope so.
Less public touching, hugging, kissing, & invading personal space....it's been wonderful.
It would also be great if people & government took crisis preparedness more seriously.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
also a huge amount of people around the world rely on tourism, which are not going to make any or hardly any money this summer. So if that is going to happen each year, these businesses are done for as far as I see it.
Yes, but also any business that involves people congregating. Movie theatres, or live theatre, concerts, sporting events and of course eating in restaurants. I think these things will come back, but it will be a while. Humans naturally want to congregate (not me, but normal humans), but this will have a chilling effect which will take a long time to dissipate completely.

I hope so.
Less public touching, hugging, kissing, & invading personal space....it's been wonderful.
It would also be great if people & government took crisis preparedness more seriously.
Yes, I think we will all be a bit more germaphobic.

And hopefully governments will be more prepared in the future.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I also wonder how this will effect the climate change debate. Will these very same politicians who denied the science and called this pandemic a hoax lose credibility? Almost to a person the “covid deniers” and the “climate change deniers” are the very same people. Will we learn from this to finally start listening to the scientific community and ignore the clowns?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Given that there will not be a day when the "all clear" will be sounded, but rather a steady lifting of restrictions over time, I think there will tend to remain a reticence regarding returning to (pre covid) social closeness.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I also wonder how this will effect the climate change debate. Will these very same politicians who denied the science and called this pandemic a hoax lose credibility? Almost to a person the “covid deniers” and the “climate change deniers” are the very same people. Will we learn from this to finally start listening to the scientific community and ignore the clowns?
Doubt it. But we can try to be optimistic. :persevere:

InChrist

Free4ever
And what will they be?
I believe so, as foretold by biblical prophecy.
Changes will include: the progression of a new world order, more government control over people’s lives, less freedom, move away from cash/ currency to digital, likely mass vaccination requirements for covid-19, along with quantum tattoo dot digital ID to verify immunization and to be allowed to conduct business and/or purchasing products, groceries, etc.

Opinion | The Coronavirus Pandemic Will Forever Alter the World Order

A Frantic Bill Gates Spending Billions In All-Out Blitzkrieg To Be First To Create Coronavirus Vaccine And Digital ID, Funding 7 Factories At Once • Now The End Begins

ecco

Veteran Member
I think businesses will realize that many people can effectively work from home. Technology like zoom will make it even more efficient. This will reduce commuter pollution and traffic jam stress.

Hopefully, politicians and educators and parents will understand that school overcrowding can be greatly alleviated by having kids come to school only two days per week and spend the other three online from home.

Home grocery delivery is also here to stay. This is a boon to working people and to elders (assuming a basic knowledge of online ordering).

The disappearance of retail stores will be accelerated.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Changes will include: the progression of a new world order, more government control over people’s lives, less freedom, move away from cash/ currency to digital, likely mass vaccination requirements for covid-19, along with quantum tattoo dot digital ID to verify immunization and to be allowed to conduct business and/or purchasing products, groceries, etc.

Opinion | The Coronavirus Pandemic Will Forever Alter the World Order

A Frantic Bill Gates Spending Billions In All-Out Blitzkrieg To Be First To Create Coronavirus Vaccine And Digital ID, Funding 7 Factories At Once • Now The End Begins
It is interesting. I have often wondered why more evangelicals haven’t embraced the idea of climate change as it also could be made to fit (vaguely) into “biblical prophecy”.

I am not a believer myself, but still I wonder why no evangelical preacher (to my knowledge) made that connection. I guess it is just the strange alliance between Evangelical Christian and big business Republicans.

ecco

Veteran Member

Yay! Forced vaccinations - it's about time. We should then send all unvaccinated people off to an island where they can live die happily ever after.

Ah. The New World Order. That's another goodie from end-of-times folks. It seems ya can't have a Jesus return without a New World Order.

Lurkers please note, the above-linked article is from an end-of-times website.

InChrist please note, you folks have been predicting the end of times for at least 2000 years. Rational people are still wondering when y'all will finally understand that there ain't no Rapture coming.

ETA: I glanced at the article and was perplexed to find that 666 is no longer the Mark of the Beast.

digital-id2020-alliance-vaccinations-implantable-rfid-nfc-microchips-mark-beast-end-times-bioidentification-nteb-bill-gates-microsoft-nteb.jpg

Maybe they could start a new religion with 2020 as the MotB. It will surely gain followers from among the JW crowd how need something new to look forward to.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I once used the analogy of putting a finger in the fire. If a child puts her finger in the fire, she will automatically pull it out, realizes it burns and not do it again or least not more than twice.

Society/government will metaphorically put its finger in the fire over and over and over and over again proving societies are currently less intelligent than flatworms as measured by learning ability.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I once used the analogy of putting a finger in the fire. If a child puts her finger in the fire, she will automatically pull it out, realizes it burns and not do it again or least not more than twice.

Society/government will metaphorically put its finger in the fire over and over and over and over again proving societies are currently less intelligent than flatworms as measured by learning ability.
A collective IQ is the smartest's number, divided by the population size.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think it will not. There could be procedural changes for some people, but there will be no long lasting societal change.
I think changes will be major for our generation , but wait till the generation comes that has never experienced a pandemic. It'll be back to business as usual posthaste as human nature dictates. All ready to have history repeat itself again and again and again.

exchemist

Veteran Member
And what will they be?
Yes, there will be changes.

We will be much poorer at the end of this. Unemployment will be higher. Taxes will need to go up. Probably there will be some wealth redistribution from the old (who have done well out of the asset inflation of recent years) to the young. After all, the economic sacrifice will largely have been to prolong the lives of the older people in society. I suspect there will be less tolerance for the kind of wealth disparities we have become used to. Air travel may take a permanent hit: it will be a while before people feel comfortable cooped up with a load of strangers from all over the world, breathing the same air. If it can happen once, it can happen again.

There is also the danger of national bankruptcies. There will be a need for global coordination of financial measures to prevent this, as there was after the world wars. Let us hope that major nations by then have suitably far-sighted statesmen in post, to unify their countries' recovery efforts and to navigate these treacherous waters.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I think it is rather unlikely that this is going to change the dynamics of the global climate change "debate". The opposition to recognizing GCC and responding to it meaningfully is not coming from many people whose minds can still be influenced on the issue. Just about every relatively reasonable person has already come down on the side of taking action -- mostly within the last year or two. Besides which, the opposition is organized and institutionalized. It is not going away. It has its own lobbyists. It has its own think tanks. It has the friendship of the right wing media outlets. It's here to stay.

Don't misunderstand me. Something might still be done about GCC, but I suspect that what's done will have little to do with how this virus has disgraced the deniers.