• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will this impeachment further divide the country?

The impeachment

• will further the political divide within the country

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • will help heal the political divide within the country

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • a Senate trial will further the political divide

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • a Senate trial will not further the political divide

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • a court trial will further the political divide

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • a court trial will help heal the political divide

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • pass the peace pipe

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • there can be no peace

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Colt

There has been an argument made that this impeachment will only serve to deepen the divide within the country. I'm skeptical of this argument. Rather, I believe that a failure to impeach Trump for his part in inciting the Capitol riot would deepen the divide we see. Inciting insurrection against the US Capitol should not be a partisan issue--acknowledging this can be a small step towards lessening this political divide, imo.

There really isn't time for a trial in the Senate. I'm hoping that there is an option for the Senate to refer the trial out to the courts. A Senate trial will probably deepen the political divide--it needs to be a non-partisan trial to avoid further political division, hence my wish for a court trial.

How do you see it?

Choose all that fit your view, and feel free to add another viewpoint in the comments.
Since the (D)'s refused to accept the 2016 election and spent 4 years undermining the president by fake conspiracy charges, only to be discovered to have actually conspired with the Russians via Christopher Steele themselves, its obvious that they are the problem and will only further divide the nation.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Please, just because you have been on the side of evil doesn't mean that the Democrats have been at fault. The Democrats have not been the dividers.
Please substantiate your position. Otherwise... you have given an opinion.

Caveat: "You have been on the side of evil" dictates an effort on dividing thus supporting my very position. ;) Appreciate you supporting my position :D

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Since the (D)'s refused to accept the 2016 election and spent 4 years undermining the president by fake conspiracy charges, only to be discovered to have actually conspired with the Russians via Christopher Steele themselves, its obvious that they are the problem and will only further divide the nation.
This is not what happened. And now you are trying to use events that did not happen for the far worse actions of the Republicans. Why be this way?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Please substantiate your position. Otherwise... you have given an opinion.

Caveat: "You have been on the side of evil" dictates an effort on dividing thus supporting my very position. ;) Appreciate you supporting my position :D
Ken, be honest. This has already been proven. How long did you support the fraudulent claims of cheating? How long did you buy the lie that Trump one? More than once it was going to be the last time you demanded a count or an investigation or a court case and it would be a last time for you. But that did not happen. You fled from one lie of Trump's to the next. Your own posts prove my claim.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It is amazing to me that the GOP, the party which has been dividing the country at every opportunity for the last 4-years, is suddenly interested in bringing the country together.

Hypocrites
Reminds me of:
atheistcartoon.jpg

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think it's human nature to want roses without thorns. That is, to want things to be all upside and no downside. That tendency in us easily motives us to deny reality. There are none of us above being fooled by it. We're always at risk of denying reality. Every one of us.

I don't see how a Senate trial can fail to further divide the nation. Or, for that matter, any action taken against Trump. Giving him a parking ticket right now would be met with shock and disbelief. Anything more and the outrage would be a storm.

On the other hand, do we want our democracy? How long do we expect to keep it after revealing there is no punishment for trying to overthrow it?

I wonder how many fires would be put out if fire fighters were in the habit of backing down whenever going forward brought with it significant risks? How many lives would be saved if doctors only prescribed medications and performed surgical procedures with no risks? Do many such things even exist?

Kenny

Premium Member
Ken, be honest. This has already been proven. How long did you support the fraudulent claims of cheating? How long did you buy the lie that Trump one? More than once it was going to be the last time you demanded a count or an investigation or a court case and it would be a last time for you. But that did not happen. You fled from one lie of Trump's to the next. Your own posts prove my claim.
Like I said, thank you for supporting my position that you aren't into building bridges. You love the divide. ;)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I think it's human nature to want roses without thorns. That is, to want things to be all upside and no downside. That tendency in us easily motives us to deny reality. There are none of us above being fooled by it. We're always at risk of denying reality. Every one of us.

I don't see how a Senate trial can fail to further divide the nation.
Have you witnessed Congress being able to settle anything in a non-partisan manner lately? It's all about political maneuvering.
Or, for that matter, any action taken against Trump. Giving him a parking ticket right now would be met with shock and disbelief. Anything more and the outrage would be a storm.

On the other hand, do we want our democracy? How long do we expect to keep it after revealing there is no punishment for trying to overthrow it?
Exactly!

I wonder how many fires would be put out if fire fighters were in the habit of backing down whenever going forward brought with it significant risks? How many lives would be saved if doctors only prescribed medications and performed surgical procedures with no risks? Do many such things even exist?
If we want to keep our democracy, then a non-partisan approach would be in order, imo.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Ignore the RW argument. It's a ruse to save face after everything that happened. They're trying to pass the blame onto Democrats.
This is typical of the Republican party, never accepting responsibility and looking the other way when it's their own party doing dangerous things.
Hold them all accountable and set an unprecedented example for future presidents.

If conservatives have their feelings hurt and blame democrats for dividing the country, ignore them. They usually aren't informed on what's going on in the world anyways.

crossfire

Premium Member
Not so much as how do I see any court action but generally speaking, any action against the President of which half the nation supported will only cement in most of them that it is just a continuation of 4 years of attack and it will alienate them more.
No action at all will make the other half of the country believe that our democracy is a joke, that it's ok to try to attack the institution set up by our founding fathers. (I find it ironic that the ones who rioted at the Capitol claim that those who kneel (a sign of respect) at the National Anthem is disrespecting our country!)

crossfire

Premium Member
Hatred does not overcome hatred. It only builds more hatred. Only non-hate will overcome hatred.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If we want to keep our democracy, then a non-partisan approach would be in order, imo.

Is that a realistic goal in the current climate? I suspect it will be nearly impossible to achieve even a bi-partisan approach, let alone a non-partisan one.

Actually -- as long as I'm on the topic -- the odds of a Senate conviction (which would require a 2/3rds majority) seem close to nil. Trump has every chance of avoiding one. Yet, the trial needs to take place for its symbolic value, in my opinion. The real work will be done in the regular courts combined with many other initiatives, some of which seem to have already begun.

crossfire

Premium Member
Is that a realistic goal in the current climate? I suspect it will be nearly impossible to achieve even a bi-partisan approach, let alone a non-partisan one.

Actually -- as long as I'm on the topic -- the odds of a Senate conviction (which would require a 2/3rds majority) seem close to nil. Trump has every chance of avoiding one. Yet, the trial needs to take place for its symbolic value, in my opinion. The real work will be done in the regular courts combined with many other initiatives, some of which seem to have already begun.
I want to see a proper investigation. In this case, I'm not sure that there will be one if the Senate conducts it.

Kenny

Premium Member
No action at all will make the other half of the country believe that our democracy is a joke, that it's ok to try to attack the institution set up by our founding fathers. (I find it ironic that the ones who rioted at the Capitol claim that those who kneel (a sign of respect) at the National Anthem is disrespecting our country!)
I would agree that it is a dichotomy of terms to pound the pavement against kneeling at the National Anthem and then turn around and pound the pavement by forced entry into the Capitol.

Not sure how that applies to your OP... other than we are seeing a divide.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Healing occurs *after* the problem is acknowledged and dealt with.

In particular, the LIES that were promulgated about the last election have to be admitted and denied. Those who committed acts of violence OR PROMOTED SUCH need to be held accountable.

After the wound is cleaned, healing can occur. Not before.