• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will there be freewill in the afterlife?

For religions that put emphasis on this life being a test because we have freewill and can make bad/wrong decisions, will people have freewill in the afterlife? If freewill makes people so unpredictable that we need to be tested in the first place, what will keep them from making bad/wrong decisions in the afterlife? Will our freewill be removed? Will freewill be limited in some fashion so transgressions can't be made? If our freewill will be removed or limited later, what purpose is there in testing us at all?

OurCreed

There is no God but Allah
Yes there will be free will. However, the next life is not like this life. So everything that we do in the next life will technically be 'good'.

Good and evil is defined by God, not by us. The reason we consider things in this life to be evil (and I already explained this to you), is because of the certain conditions that make us label it to be evil. We label pain as evil, so anything that causes us pain to be something that we want to avoid. Anyone who causes pain is acting in the name of evil.

The next world is not like this world...at all. The Islamic religion clearly states that the next world is nothing we have seen or experienced before.

So God has created a world where nothing in it can be labelled as "evil" by us. So everything that we do of our free will, will be good by nature.

Yes there will be free will. However, the next life is not like this life. So everything that we do in the next life will technically be 'good'.

Good and evil is defined by God, not by us. The reason we consider things in this life to be evil (and I already explained this to you), is because of the certain conditions that make us label it to be evil. We label pain as evil, so anything that causes us pain to be something that we want to avoid. Anyone who causes pain is acting in the name of evil.

The next world is not like this world...at all. The Islamic religion clearly states that the next world is nothing we have seen or experienced before.

So God has created a world where nothing in it can be labelled as "evil" by us. So everything that we do of our free will, will be good by nature.

Why didn't god just create the world without "evil" to begin with?

Without the perception of evil, we would be robots.

If we end up in a world were evil does not and cannot exist, why would the concept of evil be important, let alone make us robots?

You cannot have goodness without evil, and vice versa. Similarly, you cannot have up without down.

You just said that god can make a world where evil doesn't exist but everything will be good by nature. So apparently good can exist without evil. Our freewill will be limited to only good choices. So you are saying freewill will exist in the afterlife but be limited.

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
I guess so.
Once the soul passes away from the body, there's no time or space for it.
There's no dimension within the material world it can dwell in. So, I guess it will soon take birth again in a living body at any point of space n time or even in universes outside this one, all depending on his karmic entanglement.
And if the soul is self realized before the DEATh of the body, it simply merges with the Brahman and takes no birth ever again.
That's my belief

rusra02

Premium Member
For religions that put emphasis on this life being a test because we have freewill and can make bad/wrong decisions, will people have freewill in the afterlife? If freewill makes people so unpredictable that we need to be tested in the first place, what will keep them from making bad/wrong decisions in the afterlife? Will our freewill be removed? Will freewill be limited in some fashion so transgressions can't be made? If our freewill will be removed or limited later, what purpose is there in testing us at all?
God did not make us to be robots and will not make us such in his new world of righteousness. (Isaiah 65:17-20)

djhwoodwerks

God did not make us to be robots and will not make us such in his new world of righteousness. (Isaiah 65:17-20)

This is very true. What about God's "true" organization tho, they are surely robots. Worldwide, they are taught the exact same thing, on the exact same days. Young and old alike, whether they are 5 or 50, they are all taught the exact same thing. They think the same way (there is no independent thinking), they believe the same way, they dress the same way and they act the same way. A god has his robots, not the God of the Bible, but a god does.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
With no need for decisions, there will be no need for freewill as the term is used here.

Demonslayer

So in the next life I have free will. So if I want to, in the next life I can kick someone in the shin. Futhermore, kicking someone in the shin in the next life will technically be "good."

This afterlife is going to some strange place.

Demonslayer

Yeah, they are the exception that proves the rule.

Rosie from the Jetson's seemed pretty independent too. A real sweetheart. Too bad people on this thread want to slander and degrade robots.
the-jetsons-rosie.gif

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
Good and evil is defined by God, not by us.

That train of thought is terrifying to me. That a great flood drowned children in the arms of their mothers; that the firstborn of every household was supposedly slaughtered by angels in Egypt; that enslaving and forcefully marrying (i.e. subjecting to sexual slavery) the Midianite virgins; that destroying with fire the innocent children along with the other "evil" beings in Sodom; that such atrocious acts could be considered "good" because "God did it" and "God defines good and evil"; how horribly brainwashed one must be to believe such lunacy.

Since people will have freewill they can make "wrong/evil" decisions in heaven. In such cases are they kicked out of your heaven? If so, can they get back in?

This is very true. What about God's "true" organization tho, they are surely robots. Worldwide, they are taught the exact same thing, on the exact same days. Young and old alike, whether they are 5 or 50, they are all taught the exact same thing. They think the same way (there is no independent thinking), they believe the same way, they dress the same way and they act the same way. A god has his robots, not the God of the Bible, but a god does.

Sounds like you got a good paranoid conspiracy theory going there.