• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will SCOTUS overturn Roe v Wade?

Will SCOTUS overturn Roe v Wade?

• Yes

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Justice Sotomayor summed it up well;
"“Will this institution survive the stench that this creates in the public perception that the Constitution and its reading are just political acts? I don’t see how it is possible,"
"I could name any other set of rights, including the Second Amendment by the way. There are many political people who believe the court erred in seeing this is a personal right as opposed to a militia right," she said. "If people actually believe that it's all political, how will we survive? How will the court survive?"
I'm pro-life because of my religious beliefs, but in a democracy we should go with what the majority may want, thus I am not at all willing to impose my religious beliefs on others.

IOW, I believe Justice Sotomayor is correct.

What happens to our Republic if the Court is understood to be just another arm of political power?
SCOTUS' approval rating is at all all-time low of 40%, but it could go lower yet.

Wandering Monk

I'm pro-life because of my religious beliefs, but in a democracy we should go with what the majority may want, thus I am not at all willing to impose my religious beliefs on others.

IOW, I believe Justice Sotomayor is correct.

SCOTUS' approval rating is at all all-time low of 40%, but it could go lower yet.

I understand the sentiment, but would you take the same attitude about slavery or concentration camps for Jews?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't like abortion one bit. But until women have the right to good health care, decent financial circumstances, easy access to birth control and so forth we should really not penalize poor women for what wealthier women have easy access to with a simple plane ride.

Wandering Monk

This may be a problem that is resolving itself. Abortions are about 1/2 of where they were in 1980.

upload_2021-12-2_14-47-2.png

Last edited:

GardenLady

But Democrat-run states will allow abortion, and I predict there will be a significant exodus of young people fleeing their conservative home states for the blue states. In the near and mid-term, this will just polarize politics more because political districts will become even more homogenous.

I live in a state widely considered a "very blue" state (MD) but in fact it is purple. Dense population centers such as the suburbs of DC and Baltimore City are blue (my county went something like 78% for Biden) but rural counties are deep red. If expatriates from red states move to blue districts in our state then things remain the same. If they move to red counties (where housing is generally cheaper) then their votes will be overcome by red votes in those districts.

GardenLady

Why? Let them die and turn them into wilderness areas.

If the pandemic has taught us anything, isn't it that there is a deep cost to being dependent on other countries for sustenance? If we don't have our own rural agriculture, how to we survive? Victory gardens?

esmith

Veteran Member
I'm pro-life because of my religious beliefs, but in a democracy we should go with what the majority may want, thus I am not at all willing to impose my religious beliefs on others..
If you believe that do you think that the question should be left up to the voters of each State vice a federal mandate?

pearl

Being Catholic complicates the issue as Catholics are pro-life and not simply anti-abortion which means the concern is from uterus to grave and every stage between. Most anti-abortion promotors' concern ends post uterus.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Being Catholic complicates the issue as Catholics are pro-life and not simply anti-abortion which means the concern is from uterus to grave and every stage between. Most anti-abortion promotors' concern ends post uterus.
I hear ya.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
If the pandemic has taught us anything, isn't it that there is a deep cost to being dependent on other countries for sustenance? If we don't have our own rural agriculture, how to we survive? Victory gardens?
If I remember correctly, the US is a net exporter of agricultural products and one of the largest producers of foodstuff worldwide, being dwarfed only by much larger economies like China or India.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Amen!
I can’t stand the Pro Life movement. (Not to be confused with individuals who happen to be pro life, of course. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs.) The group itself though is largely synonymous with abandoning the mother and baby the moment it is born. “Pro birth” I’ve often heard it be called and I can’t disagree. If someone truly abhors abortion then they would advocate for safety nets, welfare and other social systems to support the mother and her baby. Actually incentivise a woman giving birth in a capitalist society. I say this as an anti capitalist even. If you want to stop abortion, you need to be pragmatic and work within the system. Even if that means monetary incentives. That might be abused, sure. But at least you’ve done something to actively stop abortion instead of merely banning it. Which never works and only harms women and children

GardenLady

If I remember correctly, the US is a net exporter of agricultural products and one of the largest producers of foodstuff worldwide, being dwarfed only by much larger economies like China or India.

Yes, I think that's right. But we import a lot of medical supplies and electronic components, which is a substantial vulnerability, IMO.

pearl

If someone truly abhors abortion then they would advocate for safety nets, welfare and other social systems to support the mother and her baby

I think President Bill Clinton had it right, 'abortion should be safe and rare'.

pearl

Admittedly Clinton is a bit before my time.
He was a democrat, right?

Yes, and was impeached on the grounds he perjured himself concerning a sexual relationship with an intern. He vetoed a bill that would have criminalized late term abortion because of no inclusion for the safety of the mother. Much the same as it is now, absolutely no compromise.