1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will SCOTUS overturn Roe v Wade?

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by Evangelicalhumanist, Dec 1, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. I don't know

10 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. Evangelicalhumanist

Evangelicalhumanist "Truth" isn't a thing...
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,659
    Religion:
    None.
    I listened carefully today to oral arguments in the Supreme Court of the United States, in hearing the case of Mississippi's law banning abortion after 15 weeks. The questions that I heard the Justices ask strongly suggest to me that, at minimum, they'll let Mississippi stand, and very likely overturn Roe v Wade altogether.

What do you think?

2. Wandering Monk

Wandering Monk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,229
    Religion:
    agnostic
    I don't know. What I heard were some justices who seem inclined to make Congress and state legislatures deal with it.

3. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Abnormal before it was fashionable
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +73,980
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I suspect they'll modify it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. We Never Know

We Never Know Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,121
    Religion:
    It exists
    You beat me to posting about it. :)

5. Evangelicalhumanist

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,659
    Religion:
    None.
    And what does "modify" mean? Changing "viability" to a specific gestation period?

And will that modification then not be challengeable as to what that period ought to be -- which could be anywhere from 0 to 280 days?

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. SomeRandom

SomeRandom Still learning to be wise
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,559
    Christ. I hope not
    Lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lain

Lain Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,080
    I haven't seen those arguments yet, but on the track record the SCOTUS has in keeping it I doubt it. But I selected "I don't know," for anything is possible in politics.

8. Guitar's Cry

Guitar's Cry Verisimilitudinous

Ratings:
    +3,844
    Religion:
    Panreligious mystical paganism
    Ditto

• Like Like x 1
  9. Evangelicalhumanist

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,659
    Religion:
    None.
    AHA!

You see -- this is not "politics," this is the Supreme Court. And if SCOTUS comes to be seen as just another branch of politics, I suspect that it's luster will fade away.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Abnormal before it was fashionable
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +73,980
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I don't know how they might modify it.
    Only that they'll likely restrict abortions further.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Thirza Fallen

Thirza Fallen Crazy Cat Lady

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Religion:
    Secular Buddhist/Stoic
    Most of the poorest states want it overturned, basically causing more poverty. I don't get it. It's not like they will vote to help these women raise the children they force them to birth.

• Like Like x 2
  12. AlexanderG

AlexanderG Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,154
    Religion:
    Atheist
    What a mess it will be if they overturn it, or modify it so that it's de facto overturned. This will be another case of conservative old people legislating their morality on progressive young people.

According to a Pew 2021 survey, people 30 and under are 67% in favor of abortion being legal in all or most cases, compare to 31% against and when you break it down to women only it's even a slightly bigger gap. Only older people are close to being evenly split on this issue.

So yeah, states with GOP-controlled governments will be able to ban abortions and their constituents will celebrate and be overjoyed. But Democrat-run states will allow abortion, and I predict there will be a significant exodus of young people fleeing their conservative home states for the blue states. In the near and mid-term, this will just polarize politics more because political districts will become even more homogenous. But in the long term, the conservative states will become very low population, and the GOP will have a firm control on the senate while perennially losing the House and the Presidency. So, a permanent federal legislative standstill but an overall weakened GOP. Bleh.

People flee theocratic states. There's a reason women are forbidden to leave Saudi Arabia without a man's permission.

#12 AlexanderG, Dec 1, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Thirza Fallen

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Religion:
    Secular Buddhist/Stoic
    I don't mind if they do like much of Europe and make it legal in the first trimester with no restrictions, then place most of the restrictions, if not all, during the second trimester somewhere.

14. Thirza Fallen

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Religion:
    Secular Buddhist/Stoic
    Like the young flee to the cities, they will flee to the blue states, leaving the red states like most of the rural areas, full of the elderly and those too poor to leave in dying towns. We do not need this. We need to revitalize the rural areas.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thirza Fallen

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Religion:
    Secular Buddhist/Stoic
    Sadly, that is a very far right thing. Like they can only see another person's viewpoint when it hits home.

16. Evangelicalhumanist

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,659
    Religion:
    None.
    Do you mind that I made the slight modifications to your post above? Look at the gender representation in the legislatures that are so gung ho for this....females play a really minor role (although I'm sure pleasurable) for all those trailer-trash guys.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. AlexanderG

AlexanderG Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,154
    Religion:
    Atheist
    If rural voters keep voting against their economic interests for decades, then their districts will not be revitalized.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Stonetree

Stonetree Bored of Directors
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +483
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    For me, a male, the question of abortion is not an easy one because I am concerned with the loss of a human fetus. I see the pregnant female having so much more emotional stress in her situation than I have thinking about a hypothetical question. I take the position, if God allows free will, why then do I have the authority to overrule those who are actually involved in the pregnancy?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Suave

Suave Simulated character

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Religion:
    Christian Matrixism
    I'm most confident the SCOTUS will uphold Roe vs Wade in order to keep a women's right to terminate an unwanted pregnancy safe and easily accessible. I doubt the SCOTUS would want women performing abortions by coat hangers, nor would the SCOTUS want impregnated women traumatized by having to carry an embryo spawned by a rapist or undesired would-be father. Furthermore, the SCOTUS would not want impregnated women burdened with having to travel long distances in order to have her unwanted embryo removed from her body.

20. Thirza Fallen

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Religion:
    Secular Buddhist/Stoic
    Nice post. It's not an easy answer on either side, since it's a zero-sum game. Like you, I prefer to vote for freedom and then if someone disagrees with the issue, they have the freedom to abstain.