• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will power, the cultivation of

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In most versions of Hinduism, cultivation of will power is a key concept. Self-control, self-awareness, and a continuing way of improving yourself are cornerstones of personal sadhana. One irony to it is that the more you use it, the more you have.

Sadhus walk the breadth of India. Million fast on all kinds of days and for all kinds of reasons. Prayaschitta is performed, long hours of festivals are commonplace.

Insights?

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
True. OP states measures with which we can improve our will power.

To me, will power is subduing the mind to our will.

I strongly believe that (my personal opinion being) the karma that is bound to happen in our future lives gets shaped by the present. Our deeds of today shape our tomorrow or future lives. Therefore, I believe that when we subdue our will, we inherit the potential to shape our future lives to be a better one with greater freedom.

This means that, when our will is enhanced, we do better karma, and thus experience better outcome. Nice post!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
True. OP states measures with which we can improve our will power.

To me, will power is subduing the mind to our will.

I strongly believe that (my personal opinion being) the karma that is bound to happen in our future lives gets shaped by the present. Our deeds of today shape our tomorrow or future lives. Therefore, I believe that when we subdue our will, we inherit the potential to shape our future lives to be a better one with greater freedom.

This means that, when our will is enhanced, we do better karma, and thus experience better outcome. Nice post!

I don't believe in subduing will, at all, just directing it towards dharma. I think you mean the same. I would call what we subdue 'instinctive willfulness' but that's semantics.

Some days I don't think some folks even realise they have a will to use. People will actually say they don't like doing something ... and the answer seems so simple to me ... "then don't do it." A simple example is people who complain about being on these forums, yet keep coming back. Do they realise they have a choice not to come back?

But that's the initial step ... cognizing you even have a will to use. After that, all it takes is practice. You can exercise the will, just as you exercise a muscle, and the magic is that the subconscious understands, hence the next time around it's easier.

Thanks for the post, I'd rather not rant to myself.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't believe in subduing will, at all, just directing it towards dharma. I think you mean the same. I would call what we subdue 'instinctive willfulness' but that's semantics.

Some days I don't think some folks even realise they have a will to use. People will actually say they don't like doing something ... and the answer seems so simple to me ... "then don't do it." A simple example is people who complain about being on these forums, yet keep coming back. Do they realise they have a choice not to come back?

But that's the initial step ... cognizing you even have a will to use. After that, all it takes is practice. You can exercise the will, just as you exercise a muscle, and the magic is that the subconscious understands, hence the next time around it's easier.

Thanks for the post, I'd rather not rant to myself.

I realized early on I had a lot of choice, and a lot of will. I could wear what I wanted, eat what I wanted, work or not work where I wanted, go where I wanted, not go where I didn't want. Of course, these things have consequences, so decisions had to be weighed carefully, but I had choice, and I had will.

As I've gotten older and life has gotten more complex, I sometimes struggle with wanting to 'will' through everything, and then mentally, and sometimes physically, crashing. I've noticed there's more factors to keeping up my will power. If I am fearful or burned out, I just can't seem to make the body move. Its easy to want to will myself to sweep the kitchen floor, but the body will not cooperate if things have reached that level. Then I have to will myself to do what I find really uncomfortable... try to be gentle with myself.

I find will comes so much easier when there's a purpose. And when the will won't work, sometimes one has to investigate what else is going on.

But for the life of me I can't figure out why I can go three days without food, but ask me to not go back for seconds, and I don't seem to be able to stop myself. :shrug:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I realized early on I had a lot of choice, and a lot of will. I could wear what I wanted, eat what I wanted, work or not work where I wanted, go where I wanted, not go where I didn't want. Of course, these things have consequences, so decisions had to be weighed carefully, but I had choice, and I had will.

As I've gotten older and life has gotten more complex, I sometimes struggle with wanting to 'will' through everything, and then mentally, and sometimes physically, crashing. I've noticed there's more factors to keeping up my will power. If I am fearful or burned out, I just can't seem to make the body move. Its easy to want to will myself to sweep the kitchen floor, but the body will not cooperate if things have reached that level. Then I have to will myself to do what I find really uncomfortable... try to be gentle with myself.

I find will comes so much easier when there's a purpose. And when the will won't work, sometimes one has to investigate what else is going on.

But for the life of me I can't figure out why I can go three days without food, but ask me to not go back for seconds, and I don't seem to be able to stop myself. :shrug:
Interesting. Thanks. It is indeed tied to what you're doing. I can move a truckload of dirt, but not sit down to write for even half an hour ... some days.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting. Thanks. It is indeed tied to what you're doing. I can move a truckload of dirt, but not sit down to write for even half an hour ... some days.

Sometimes I have to sit down and ask myself why I feel I can't do something... sometimes the answer's simpler than I expect.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
For me, and only me, because I can’t make a blanket judgment, willpower and my struggle with it is doing the right thing (or not doing the wrong thing) versus my own desires or self-interests.

I never really felt close to Rāma or felt I knew him, though I’m trying bit by bit. Ironically I hold him up as one whom I would emulate in a situation to do the right thing when I had a choice to do what’s right. Even at the cost to me and/my desires. WWRD? “What Would Rāma Do?” And of course there’s that romanticized idea of mine that I was Kśatriya in previous lives. It’s incumbent on Kśatriya to always exercise willpower, maintain their personal integrity and honor, and exercise willpower regardless.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I do not have any will power, so I leave that to God. I do not keep that burden on my mind. :)
Cultivation of will power is good, but it requires a lot of effort.
'Hoibe vahi jo Ram rachi rakha' (Only that will happen which God has destined)

ajay0

In most versions of Hinduism, cultivation of will power is a key concept. Self-control, self-awareness, and a continuing way of improving yourself are cornerstones of personal sadhana. One irony to it is that the more you use it, the more you have.

Sadhus walk the breadth of India. Million fast on all kinds of days and for all kinds of reasons. Prayaschitta is performed, long hours of festivals are commonplace.

Insights?

Willpower is developed by austerities (tapas).

The stronger your will, the ability to materialise your imaged goals is enhanced.

Proper understanding and performance of duties with a positive attitude, adherence to due process and due diligence as a duty, also develops willpower or power of tapas.

Fasting, trataka, early rising and sleep, sleeping for less time or not at all, practice of meditation or chanting, sleeping on the ground in a mat (instead of a soft bed), being in silence and solitude, selfless service accepting hardship or hard work cheerfully or going out of comfort zone, being in satsang (good company) instead of dussang (bad company) all constitute austerities.

Having a happy, positive attitude is an austerity in itself, as the natural tendency of the mind is to look at the negatives, especially under stress. Looking at the positives requires mental discipline.