• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will old time drive ins come back in style

Riders

AFter the Coronavirus noting that Sonic and Griffs are the only drive-throughs I know about now, will the old-time drive-throughs from the 1950s come back in style?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
No idea. Right now they are expediting the release of digital movies. For example, that new Hedgehog movie is already out.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Capture.JPG

Terry Sampson

Maybe, but there will still be a problem: In a Corona Virus-plagued world, the intelligent will be wearing face masks at a minimum and possibly full-body Personal Protective Body Covering and driving to the drive-ins in separate cars.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Growing up my family was all the time going to drive in movies.
Back then "Car load" nights were popular.
Basically anyone you can get in or on the vehicle got in for a single price of like $5-$10.

We would go to Long John Silvers and get all the "crumbs" we could get our hands on, load up the trucks, cars, vans, etc. and spend the night at the theater.
Of course, back then they played both movies twice...

Riders

Basically anyone you can get in or on the vehicle got in for a single price of like $5-$10.

We would go to Long John Silvers and get all the "crumbs" we could get our hands on, load up the trucks, cars, vans, etc. and spend the night at the theater.

Car drive-ins were popular in the 70s when I was a kid. I remember seeing the scary movie The Town That dreaded Sundown with my sisters in the drive-through. A true story about an Arkansas town who had a serial killer in the 1940s.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
AFter the Coronavirus noting that Sonic and Griffs are the only drive-throughs I know about now, will the old-time drive-throughs from the 1950s come back in style?
You could make it happen by petitioning for fewer restrictions and inspections for drive through movies. Make it so any farmer can throw up a screen and broadcast audio over bluetooth, and you might found a new cottage industry.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Friends loaded a couch in a half ton.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

Haha ha!
Maybe it's an Indiana thing. That was "going to the movies", when I was a kid.
Back of a station wagon.

And the movie was always either "Sound of Music" or "Mary Poppins". With some cartoons before.

I've never liked going to picture radio shows since.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You could make it happen by petitioning for fewer restrictions and inspections for drive through movies. Make it so any farmer can throw up a screen and broadcast audio over bluetooth, and you might found a new cottage industry.
How could anybody profitably monetize a streaming service requiring consumers to sit in a modern car?

What made drive in movies work was huge cars. Living rooms on wheels.

People still have those, but the ones who do aren't interested in leaving their home theater to watch one thing, at the same time, without a very private bathroom.
Tom

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
How could anybody profitably monetize a streaming service requiring consumers to sit in a modern car?

What made drive in movies work was huge cars. Living rooms on wheels.

People still have those, but the ones who do aren't interested in leaving their home theater to watch one thing, at the same time, without a very private bathroom.
Tom
It wouldn't work year round but might attract people for special events and holidays such as Halloween.