1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Will God grant this request?

Discussion in 'Monotheism' started by PopeADope, Oct 19, 2017.

?
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. PopeADope

PopeADope Habemus papam

Ratings:
    +6,045
    Religion:
    Amish Taliban
    This question is for monotheists.

I'm asking that I would be delivered of my will in the sense that God will govern my desires so that I only desire what he desires for me and the world.

If God grants me this request, I will stop complaining. Will God grant the request?

2. Rival

Rival Noahide
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +19,205
    Religion:
    בת נח
    If you have lots of free time, make lots of hitbodeduyot.

3. PopeADope

PopeADope Habemus papam

Ratings:
    +6,045
    Religion:
    Amish Taliban
    Hitbodetut Shall be my life!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. bobhikes

bobhikes Nowoligist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,245
    In my reality you already have what you ask for. My god wants everyone to have choice and to make the right choice from their self.

5. Sanzbir

Sanzbir Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +612
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Devil's Advocate instincts kicking in here: But how do you already know your will isn't as God wills your will to be?? ;)

For a serious answer, if you desire this aim of unifying your will with God's I'd recommend checking out the following books:

The Conference of the Birds, by Attar of Nishapur.
    The Seven Valleys, by Baha'u'llah.

Both will give a seven-step guide for attaining what you seek, though Conference of the Birds will do so in a more epic and allegorical way, and Seven Valleys will do so in a straightforward and direct way. So whichever literary style you might prefer.

6. PopeADope

PopeADope Habemus papam

Ratings:
    +6,045
    Religion:
    Amish Taliban
    Maybe my will is what God wills it to be... But all these Christians keep telling me I'm imposing my will on God, so I long to be purified of that... Regarding books, I need a relationship with God. I don't trust books anymore. A relationship with God shouldn't be reading from a book. What kind of a relationship is that?

• Like Like x 1
  7. sun rise

sun rise "Let there be peace and love among all"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +20,308
    Religion:
    Love
    My answer is "when the time is right". It's sort of like having a cataract and needing eye surgery. The cataract is allowed to mature until the time is right for the operation. I of course have no idea when that time will come for any of us, but I accept that basic principle of needing to be ready which is not thinking one is ready.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sanzbir

Ratings:
    +612
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    So you want your Will to be God's. But you want to take absolutely no effort into actually figuring out what He wants??

My friend, I think I see where your problem is. You say you are actively seeking out God's will... but you will not put effort into this task?? If so, how can you be said to be searching for God's Will?? :p

If you are truly concerned about books, don't worry. The books I quoted do not tell you what God's Will is. They tell you how to find it yourself.

9. PopeADope

PopeADope Habemus papam

Ratings:
    +6,045
    Religion:
    Amish Taliban
    You are mistaken, actually I put in an enormous amount of effort into discovering God's will. I spend all my free time praying and meditating, I studied the scriptures I've read multiple spiritual books, I'm just saying I don't think books are going to help me much. That's just based on my experience with books so far.

I'll continue working overtime seeking God's will. Maybe I'll go to my grave having wasted my whole life, but at least I tried. If I fail to do God's will, it's entirely his fault. Wisdom and understanding is something that he can give freely.

10. Father

Father Devourer of Truth

Ratings:
    +170
    Religion:
    Deism
    um... you may not want that. if you desire what he desire's than we all end up with mecha Hitler who floods worlds and genocides people...

11. Sanzbir

Ratings:
    +612
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    But not this time, eh?? Why do you keep posting on this site with the same question of "How can I know God's Will??" If you're not willing to put in the effort to listen to our answers??

Otherwise it just seems like you keep stating "Why can't I find these answers??" people give you the answers, you ignore them, and then go back to asking "Why can't I find these answers??" Gee, I wonder why?? :p

No. As long as you ask people for answers and then refuse to consider the answers they may give you then it is all your own fault. It's your fault, and I think you need to stop trying to shift the responsibility away from yourself.

When you claim you will do anything to know God's Will and people give you answers to how to find them, and you choose to ignore them then it is your fault. Start taking personal responsibility for your own choices. Stop trying to blame others for your own lack of diligence.

And the method for obtaining them is something you could find easily yourself, but you refuse to do so. So who is at fault here??

12. PopeADope

PopeADope Habemus papam

Ratings:
    +6,045
    Religion:
    Amish Taliban
    Actually I learned a lot from people's posts at RF.

There isn't a general consensus on what the correct answer is, so it's difficult to know who to listen to.

I want to know the truth. Not just what somebody tells me is the truth.
    Muslims think they have the truth, Christians think they have the truth, Jews think they have the truth, Catholics think they have the truth, Mormons think they have the truth, Protestants think they have the truth, Jehovah's Witnesses think they have the truth... I'm just not so sure I'm smart enough to decide who's right.

It could be that they all are wrong.

I'm praying to God for the grace to know who to listen to, and then listen to that person if such a person exists.

However, it would be nice to know how to listen to God. The holy spirit is supposed to be a teacher.

13. Mister Silver

Mister Silver Faith's Nightmare

Ratings:
    +1,600
    Religion:
    Infidel Savant
    There is no god to grant any sort of request from prayer.

What happens is someone prays and when there is a positive result that person makes the claim that it was the prayer that worked.

When prayers don't get answered, well, then people just assume god has his reasons.

The problem with prayer requests is that people who believe in prayer are deluding themselves into thinking prayer accomplishes anything.

14. PopeADope

PopeADope Habemus papam

Ratings:
    +6,045
    Religion:
    Amish Taliban
    Do you have proof of this?

15. Mister Silver

Mister Silver Faith's Nightmare

Ratings:
    +1,600
    Religion:
    Infidel Savant
    People pray to god that their football team wins; sometimes he answers while ignoring the other team's prayers.

People pray to god in order to have enough to eat; sometimes he answers while ignoring the same prayers from others.

Girls being raped by adult men pray to god for the torture to end; sometimes he answers and sometimes he doesn't.

What we have with prayer is that sometimes he answers and sometimes he doesn't. There's no evidence to support that god is actually answering anyone's prayers. What we have is people who claim that god is answering prayers.

That god is not real and not answering any one's prayers fits both scenarios; for it explains how god is all in their heads.

16. David T

David T Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,815
    No

17. PopeADope

PopeADope Habemus papam

Ratings:
    +6,045
    Religion:
    Amish Taliban
    Why not?

18. DavidFirth

DavidFirth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,321
    Religion:
    Christian
    My friend has glaucoma and is waiting until she loses some of her eyesight before having cataract surgery per doctor's orders. No need to do it if it don't need to be done.

• Like Like x 1
  19. David T

David T Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,815
    the documentary star wars explains it,

20. danieldemol

danieldemol Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,534
    Religion:
    Baha'i inspired liberal
    He will if He wants to. Personally I hope that He will.

• Like Like x 2