• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Everyone Eventually Be Saved?

It has always been my belief that everyone will be saved. I had this problem: when salvation arrived through Christ, what of those previously condemned? It seems to me Christ was looking for the salvation of all men. Surely he has the power to retrieve those who previously existed from hell after they have spent their term there, and would use this power. But religion speaks of "eternal damnation". Is this not something Christ would bring to an end, just as he came to redeem those who would at the time be believers?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Of course. There will eventually come a time when the neurons in the pre-frontal cortex and amygdala stop firing and there will no longer be a "me". Or a "you" for that matter.

And timeless chaos will welcome me home, as one would a child returning from a wild day at an amusement park.

Last edited:

Villager

It has always been my belief that everyone will be saved. I had this problem: when salvation arrived through Christ, what of those previously condemned? It seems to me Christ was looking for the salvation of all men. Surely he has the power to retrieve those who previously existed from hell after they have spent their term there, and would use this power. But religion speaks of "eternal damnation". Is this not something Christ would bring to an end, just as he came to redeem those who would at the time be believers?
Why would people be saved who don't want to be?

blackout

Violet.

Hell. The Rikers Island of Heaven.
But worse. Satan :bat: is the Head Warden.
Heaven's PR staff calls it a correctional facility,
but the rest of us know it's really just a Hell Hole.

Awoon

Wow, a rapid answer. I was still here at the forum when it came in.

Saved from sin, death and hell.

Well, stop sinning and you wont sin. Get busy living or get busy dieing.

hell is mental torment. Free your mind from regrets.

Salvation in three steps.:clap

Why would people be saved who don't want to be?

It seems to me that they would want to be after they've checked out hell long enough. And it seems also that Christ would visit them at epochs to see if they were redeemable yet, and to add further persuasions. If they're so self-willed as never to consider not living in hell, they're made of sterner stuff than their sins would indicate.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Saved from sin,

Atone for what you have done and don't to it again.

We all die eventually.

and hell.

Eternal damnation doesn't exist.

John, keep in mind that there are many religions represented heroe, and many of them do not ascribe to Christian doctrines.

What use do people who have a way of dealing with all of things have of vicarious salvation?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
1) There is more to religion than Christianity, and eternal damnation is a rare doctrine if you go by faiths rather than adherents.
2) As a panentheist, I do not myself believe in Hell, but I do believe we all share the same destination.
3) I'm also a Unitarian Universalist. Universalism is the name of the doctrine you're leaning towards, and I'd be happy to discuss it with you. In fact, one of my favorite sermons was Dragged Kicking & Screaming Into Heaven, on this very topic. I can pm you a link if you like, or bump the thread I started to discuss it. :)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
But they don't agree with the Bible.
Of course they do. They just don't agree with your interpretation of the Bible.

I don't know what sect you belong to, but I'm sure we can find a plethora of denominations who also disagree with you on points of doctrine. That's why there are so many in the first place.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
The common interpretation.
Common, yes... but that doesn't make it the only one.

If the OP had believed that universalism is valid, he presumably would not have started this thread.
It's rather obvious to me that he's curious about it, and drawn to it. That said, why don't we let him speak for himself?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
If we save ourselves from our own Hell, from our own sins... We create the Hell, we create the Sins, we have to save ourself from them.