• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will England win Euro 2020 ?

ronki23

Ever since I got depressed in 2013 I haven't really followed football with the exception of looking at the scores. I was impressed England got to the semi finals of the 2018 World Cup. There are 2 advantages England has in Euro 2020:

1) Some of the matches will be played at Wembley so they have a home crowd

2) Third place in the group still goes through: so England is likely to go through to the knockout stages even if they lose a match in the group stage

However, in the 2018 World Cup they lost TWICE to Belgium and they were leading against Croatia but still lost.

To this day I'm still sad England didn't win the 2006 World Cup as it was in Germany and 40 years since they last won it. The players in the 2006 Squad were great but they failed in 2004 and 2006 to the same team (Portugal) and didn't even qualify for Euro 2008

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
images

RestlessSoul

I still bear the scars of Mexico in 1970. 2-0 up against Ze Germans, und ve lost that one 3-2 in extra time. I was 9, coincidentally the same age as my mate's football - okay, soccer - mad son, when we lost to Croatia in the semi final in Russia 3 years ago.. The disconsolate look on his face when, at the final whistle he turned to me and his dad and said "we'll win it one day won't we?" I couldn't tell him I'd been waiting half a century, that 30 years of hurt had now become 50....

Can England beat France this summer? Can anyone? Don't think so.

ronki23

I still bear the scars of Mexico in 1970. 2-0 up against Ze Germans, und ve lost that one 3-2 in extra time. I was 9, coincidentally the same age as my mate's football - okay, soccer - mad son, when we lost to Croatia in the semi final in Russia 3 years ago.. The disconsolate look on his face when, at the final whistle he turned to me and his dad and said "we'll win it one day won't we?" I couldn't tell him I'd been waiting half a century, that 30 years of hurt had now become 50....

Can England beat France this summer? Can anyone? Don't think so.

The first football tournament I watched was the 1998 World Cup and I heard that England were extremely unlucky in both Italia 90 and Euro 96 as they reached the Semi Finals in both but lost to Germany both times in penalties.

Euro 2004 and World Cup 2006 were basically the same team except the 2006 squad lacked Paul Scholes. Lost twice to Portugal on penalties.

Don't the laws of probability think England's overdue a World Cup or a Euro ? Since 1966 Spain won at least 2 Euros and a World Cup, France won at least 2 World Cups and a Euro, Germany won at least 2 World Cups and a Euro, Italy won at least 2 Euros and 2 World Cups- you see where I'm going with this ? Everyone else won multiple trophies and England hasn't even won one!

exchemist

Veteran Member
The first football tournament I watched was the 1998 World Cup and I heard that England were extremely unlucky in both Italia 90 and Euro 96 as they reached the Semi Finals in both but lost to Germany both times in penalties.

Euro 2004 and World Cup 2006 were basically the same team except the 2006 squad lacked Paul Scholes. Lost twice to Portugal on penalties.

Don't the laws of probability think England's overdue a World Cup or a Euro ? Since 1966 Spain won at least 2 Euros and a World Cup, France won at least 2 World Cups and a Euro, Germany won at least 2 World Cups and a Euro, Italy won at least 2 Euros and 2 World Cups- you see where I'm going with this ? Everyone else won multiple trophies and England hasn't even won one!
Nope. Nothing says that your number will come up soon because it hasn't for a long time. The laws of probability treat each event as independent - unless there are specific reasons why one event depends in some way on previous ones.

RestlessSoul

Still feeling every one of those heartbreaks too fella :(

'98 in St Etienne when Beckham got sent off (I still haven't forgiven Diego Simeone for that and I never will), Sol Campbell had a goal disallowed; England out on penalties again. Christ, that one hurt. Owen's goal though, eh? Bloody hell.

Mate, don't let me put you off, if you're starting to believe. It has to come home eventually.

ronki23

Still feeling every one of those heartbreaks too fella :(

'98 in St Etienne when Beckham got sent off (I still haven't forgiven Diego Simeone for that and I never will), Sol Campbell had a goal disallowed; England out on penalties again. Christ, that one hurt. Owen's goal though, eh? Bloody hell.

Mate, don't let me put you off, if you're starting to believe. It has to come home eventually.

I thought Germany was going to win the 2018 World Cup but they didn't even leave their group

RestlessSoul

I thought Germany was going to win the 2018 World Cup but they didn't even leave their group

And they were the holders, eh. So anything can happen.

Greece and Portugal both won the Euros with well coached sides that (Ronaldo aside) lacked world class players. And England, finally, do look well coached. I do think there's a mental barrier though, as soon as we come against the really good sides

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Ever since I got depressed in 2013 I haven't really followed football with the exception of looking at the scores. I was impressed England got to the semi finals of the 2018 World Cup. There are 2 advantages England has in Euro 2020:

1) Some of the matches will be played at Wembley so they have a home crowd

2) Third place in the group still goes through: so England is likely to go through to the knockout stages even if they lose a match in the group stage

However, in the 2018 World Cup they lost TWICE to Belgium and they were leading against Croatia but still lost.

To this day I'm still sad England didn't win the 2006 World Cup as it was in Germany and 40 years since they last won it. The players in the 2006 Squad were great but they failed in 2004 and 2006 to the same team (Portugal) and didn't even qualify for Euro 2008

If they meet Belgium in the finals, they will loose a third time. ;-)

But first, Belgium has to take out Italy. Imo it will be their most difficult match.
If they bag Italy, I think they will take the championship.

It's going to be real though friday... It's still not sure if Kevin De Bruyne is going to be ready to play after getting tackled by the butchers from Portugal.

With Kevin, I say it's 70/30 that they'll bag italy.
Without.... I want to say 60/40, but I fear it's going to be closer to 52/48, if not 50/50.

Anyhow, I'ld love to see a Belgium - England final.
Although, Belgium - Germany would be cool as well. Beating the Germans in the finals makes up for a more glorious Champion :)
(sorry england)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I can't wait to see the USA win the Cricket World Cup - which is about as likely as England ever winning anything of significance in football again - as if I am actually interested anyway - having witnessed the 66 one (on TV of course). :sleeping:

Best to record such, and enjoy it if we win, and not play it if we lose - my strategy. :D

RestlessSoul

I can't wait to see the USA win the Cricket World Cup - which is about as likely as England ever winning anything of significance in football again - as if I am actually interested anyway - having witnessed the 66 one (on TV of course). :sleeping:

Best to record such, and enjoy it if we win, and not play it if we lose - my strategy. :D

I’ll be at work so I can’t watch anyway. May be a blessing that, can’t remember the last time I missed an England game in the knock out stages of a tournament, and we almost never blooming win when I do watch, so…

…I’m trying to bluff the Gods of football

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I’ll be at work so I can’t watch anyway. May be a blessing that, can’t remember the last time I missed an England game in the knock out stages of a tournament, and we almost never blooming win when I do watch, so…

…I’m trying to bluff the Gods of football
I have naturally been inclined not to watch football, other than the World Cup and where England might have had a chance, but it always seems to me that England are just so not interesting to watch as a team - but presumably I would say that, not having watched so much. :D

I've always preferred doing than watching - including cricket and all the rest. :oops:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't think the U.S. even plays in the Cricket World Cup.

Although, it's interesting that soccer has gained a bit of a following and fanbase in the U.S. - and even a few American rugby fans here and there. But I don't know of any Americans who are cricket fans, except for the chirping variety.

RestlessSoul

Although, it's interesting that soccer has gained a bit of a following and fanbase in the U.S. - and even a few American rugby fans here and there. But I don't know of any Americans who are cricket fans, except for the chirping variety.

I've been to Yankee Stadium. It was outside the baseball season though, I watched the New Yawk Derrby, Red Bulls vs NYCFC.

Was very well attended. NYCFC had all the big name former European players like Andrea Pirlo and Frank Lampard. But the Red Bulls won 7/1, Bradley Wright Phillips, who never really made it in England, was the best player on the pitch and scored a hat trick.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

I find it curious that the US isn't more into soccer, actually.
There's loads of money in it and usually that tends to attract US folks. :p

My buddy thinks they don't care about soccer because the epicenter of soccer, the real high-level stuff, is in Europe and the US wouldn't like not being the epicenter.

Just like in Europe, it's a basket ball player's dream to get drafted into the NBA. In soccer it would be the reverse, US players would dream of being drafted into the highest divisions of England or Spain or Italy.

Today, US soccer is more like "pre-retirement" for the stars in European soccer that are past their 30s.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I find it curious that the US isn't more into soccer, actually.
There's loads of money in it and usually that tends to attract US folks. :p

My buddy thinks they don't care about soccer because the epicenter of soccer, the real high-level stuff, is in Europe and the US wouldn't like not being the epicenter.

Just like in Europe, it's a basket ball player's dream to get drafted into the NBA. In soccer it would be the reverse, US players would dream of being drafted into the highest divisions of England or Spain or Italy.

Today, US soccer is more like "pre-retirement" for the stars in European soccer that are past their 30s.

There are quite a few soccer fans in the U.S., although it doesn't seem to have the same following as football, basketball, baseball, or hockey. In my neck of the woods, there are a lot of people who like to watch the Mexican soccer leagues. The announcers can make it sound pretty exciting. ("Gooooooooooooooooooooal!")

I'm not sure if Americans care all that much if soccer's epicenter isn't in the U.S. Maybe they do, although a lot of Americans seem to think that soccer is boring. They say the same about baseball, too, but at least there's more scoring in baseball.

That may be part of it, since soccer games can end up with scores like 0-0, 1-0, whereas other sports have a lot more scoring.

There are also times when there's a certain excitement or anticipation about wondering what play a team will try next, where there's a certain strategy and thought that goes into it.