• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Christianity Die?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
No, I don't think Christianity will die any time soon. I do think majority practice will continue to change and be eventually unrecognizable from today. Hopefully for the less conservative/bigoted as has been the trend in most places in the world. But there's no telling the future.
Fundamentalists are creating angry and narrow folks in developing nations. It's not getting better in the world. We still have to continue dealing with the hateful and superstitious ones from our own country.

joelr

What utter nonsense!
Why would one interpretation be right and the other wrong, when you don't believe in either?

eeny meeny miny mo ;)
Again, you just repeated the claim and did not reply to my comment. There is belief in a myth where zero of the components have been shown to be even a possibility and historical evidence.

This myth needs angels to be real and they have to speak to people.
We have no evidence of angels, no evidence they speak to people.
There is no evidence of God or any supernatural events actually happening, ever. Never mind the specific claims in one myth.
No God, no evidence for God, no God has made himself known or clear beyond stories. Superman, Inana, Zeus and Thor make themselves clear in stories also. Not evidence.

BUT, we do have massive evidence people make up religious fiction. Especially about angels. Mormonism is based on a visit and messages from an angel. Now it has millions of believers. It's also made up. Genesis is a re-working of Mesopotamian myth. The NT is also re-workings of popular myths from the time and region.

Then, Satan. No evidence for devils.
We do have evidence the Angel of Yahweh in the OT was changed because of exposure to the Persian devil and became like him in the NT.
Suspiciously they had a devil at war with God and humanity, a revelation end times myth before Christianity had any such thing.
Looks like they decided to use that for themselves.

I posted a quote from Zoroastrians, Their Beliefs and Practices, Boyce, this is a fact that they had these myths before Christianity and likely was the influence.

So we have all this historical information, only a small amount I touched on (Moses is considered to be fictional, this is consensus in Biblical historical scholarship, and so on), we know people like to make up religious mythology and we have NO evidence for anything supernatural, no evidence for Gods, angels, revelations.....

So it is not "eeny meeny".

What IS eeny meeny is which religion is true. There is no more evidence for any of them. But mythology is a fact. It exists. In fact you would admit that all of the other thousands of Gods and religions from mankind are fiction. No scientific proof exists for anything supernatural.

That is why. You have no reasonable evidence. How many posts have you written and still not presented one single bit of evidence beyond "I believe a story about a claim of angel messages".

If we were arguing which is more reasonable, historical knowledge or the claims of Jehovas Witnesses that everyone outside of their religion is going to hell, soon, all scholars who disagree with their JW theology are influenced by Satan as is every other religion including all other Christian sects.
Would you say "meeny miny"? Probably not. Except your story has no better evidence. Someone said it's true. Muhammad got messages, updates. Jehova got messages, updates. No difference.

Colt

The Kingdom of Heaven will never die. Atheist antagonists and anti-Christ types will throw everything they have at it, but the gates of hell will not overcome it!

The institutional Christian church temporarily replaced the kingdom ideal of Jesus but eventually the original pre-cross Gospel of Jesus will prevail. So, would-be Christians will continue to move forwards while the old institutional church will diminish.

Thanks for your service to our country!:heartpulse:

joelr

..like I said, you are arguing about something that does not exist [according to you]
Yes that is part of the argument. I didn't say devils don't exist, I said they are characters in legends, myth and story.
If you say it's a level playing field, either naturalism OR a religion, 50/50, I'm saying no.

The evidence is way against any myth. One reason (others already covered) is Satan. Devils are not real, have no evidence and even can be traced from stories known to be fiction, in this case Zoroastrianism. Satan in Judaism is the Angel of Yahweh.
Lucifer is from the English translation which was morning star and meant a King from Babylon.
Then in the NT we got the devil Satan, exactly like the Persian devil, in all ways. Which is evidence it's all a story, just like it was in Zoroastrianism.

Also most contemporary Christians have allowed for Satan to be a myth along with Noah and Genesis.

muhammad_isa

One reason (others already covered) is Satan. Devils are not real, have no evidence and even can be traced from stories known to be fiction, in this case Zoroastrianism.
Who says Zoroastrian is fiction?
Oh yeah, you. You think you know it all. :)

Then in the NT we got the devil Satan, exactly like the Persian devil, in all ways. Which is evidence it's all a story, just like it was in Zoroastrianism.
see above..

Riders

I think it's possible the church and some denominations may die out but not Christianity. But people may end up like my sister's home church having bible study and home church at someone's house instead of a regular church. All church services could die out and everything is switched out to the internet as well. We already have services on Facebook youtube and zoom.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Fundamentalists are creating angry and narrow folks in developing nations. It's not getting better in the world. We still have to continue dealing with the hateful and superstitious ones from our own country.
I believe I can say: Physician heal thyself.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Where, precisely is “Christianity”, since it obviously cannot be identified with the irreconcilably opposed organisations that claim to speak authoritatively in it’s name? It does not speak with one voice so just where is it?

The purpose of Christianity I believe which is to cause love and harmony where is it? The fact is that even though Christianity exists ‘outwardly’, materialism, I believe, has succeeded in corrupting it’s institutions and followers to the point we live in a cruel and violent world despite the largest majority of it is ‘Christian ’. So is Christianity dead? We know it is divided into thousands of sects. A house divided. Christianity does not speak with one voice. Where then is Christianity we may ask? The answer we get from the thousands of sects is ‘here is Christ’ or ‘there is Christ’.

The teachings of Jesus focus upon love, harmony and forgiveness which are eternal I believe. But the organisations which claim to represent His teachings I have observed, have become corrupted by materialism and greed and are clearly prejudiced against other religions, even fighting wars with them. Catholics and Protestants were slaughtering one another in Northern Ireland. Is that Christianity being alive or dead? The Inquisition - Christianity alive or dead? The Crusades? The siege of Jerusalem where pregnant women were massacred after which Christ was praised for the victory. Christianity alive or dead you decide. The papal wars? Christians and Muslims killing one another is that true religion? Is that what God teaches us to do? Whatever happened to ‘Thou shalt not kill’? Or to ‘love thy enemies’? No wonder people have abandoned religion after it has been so misrepresented by its followers and clergy not to mention child sexual abuse.

Christianity I believe became spiritually bankrupt a long time ago and is as a sick patient on its death bed. How then can it heal humanity‘s illnesses when it cannot unite itself around one Jesus and one Bible?

Although individually a person may gain solace and inner peace from belief in Jesus, the thousands of Christian sects have failed humanity for this age and have been impotent in subduing immorality, violence and war. These conflicting sects exist in name only, but their transformative effect upon society has long gone. They have become a body without a soul.

I personally believe in Christ and the Bible as the Word of God but that Christianity is impotent to save itself let alone the world unless it be renewed.