• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Christianity Die?

Riders

It depends where. Here (Sweden) is dead, already. No more than 20% believe in a personal God, and that includes Muslims and such.
Soon, it will be dead in all Western Europe. Just a few generations away from it.

But I have to ask: why is it important to a Christian? If it is, of course.

Ciao

- viole
If 20 percent still believe in a God
( not necessarily Christian) God is not dead. 20 percent is still a good chunk of people although Christianity may be dead.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
If 20 percent still believe in a God
( not necessarily Christian) God is not dead. 20 percent is still a good chunk of people although Christianity may be dead.
The question is what we mean with “death” when applied to non biological systems.

in case of ideologies, philosophies, political movements, or, more generally, worldviews that claim they need to be relevant in the zeitgeist of a society, in order to be considered alive, then things like communism, and Christianity are dead. At least where I live. Whether there are still people, even many people, following it, is not important. They count nothing. And an ideology that counts nothing, while claiming to change the world, is dead, even if there are still people going to church.

ciao

- viole

Merry Meet Kenny and thanks for your question.

I think "organized" Christian Faith will fail and become extinct because it is an exclusive Faith and not an inclusive one.

If any organized Faith wants to survive they have to welcome people into their congregation and not find reasons to exclude them. That is exactly what organized Christians do to people outside their Faith!

I am a Christian, Wiccan, Shaman Witch. Now If I were to say that to an organized Christian themed church they would say that I can't be a Christian until I follow their rules. They would demonize me, try to invalidate me as a follower of Christ, shun me, and discourage my love for God.

How can Christianity survive when it tries to harass, manipulate and control prospective people it deems unworthy to save? The mentality of organized Christian religion is that "If you don't worship God the way we tell you to, you can't be a Christian in our church".

Another problem with organized Christian religion is the ignorance of other Faiths. If Christians understood people of other Faiths, they can relate to them more efficiently and find common ground. I'll give you some examples:

Christians believe that we should turn the other cheek, Wiccan's believe in Harming none that is the beauty of both Religions.

Wiccan's say the term "in Perfect Love in Perfect Trust" as A Christian, I saw that Perfect Love and Trust in God.

As a Christian I am not here to condemn you, I'm here to love you, which is similar to a Wiccan belief to do you will to harm none.

In the Christian bible passage of Luke 6: 35-36 it says

But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. This passage reminds me of the Wiccan three fold guideline to sow what you reap and what you give out to the Universe comes back to you times three.

Being able to understand the similarities between Christian and non Christian faiths is the only chance Christianity has a chance of survival, but Christians think they are somehow betraying God when they have fellowship with non Christians. There are even passages not to be of different yolks with people of different Faith's, and Christians think that gives them the right to demonize a person of a different Faith.

How can Christianity survive when it's members do everything in their power to drive people away from Christianity if they don't worship their Christian God the way they tell them? When a Christian starts telling people how to worship God, they cease to be Christian. Because they are trying to control and manipulate an individual's personal relationship with God and that is what is going to kill the organized Faith of Christianity.

I leave you with one final thought about the demise of Organized Christianity and sorry it will sound so harsh. I'm going to tell this in story form between my religion and organized Christian religion and honestly tell me which one you think will survive. I'll start the story with the Christian version of a young man that just moved to town deciding to take a walk where he passed by a Christian church and then walked by my church.

Pastor "Excuse me sir? Where is your ticket? We are having an outdoor church dinner that's by invitation only I need to see your ticket before you can join us.

Young man "Sorry sir, I just moved into your neighborhood and new here, I'm just taking a walk to get some exercise and enjoy the area, I didn't mean to trespass on your grounds.

Pastor "That's ok young man, you didn't know. As long as you are a Christian you can eat with us, but you need to be Baptised, promise to make a statement of Faith to our church, and agree to worship God the way we tell you!"

Young man "Um no thanks, I just want to go for a walk I didn't come for church.

Pastor "listen young man I'm making a great exception allowing you to eat with us but you have to sign this promissory note to eat with us before I can allow you on GOD'S property!"

Young man "Listen sir, I don't want to eat with your congregation. I'm not even hungry! I just wanted to take a quiet walk in the neighborhood when you rushed up to me asking for a ticket. I'm not even a Christian and I'm just walking on this public sidewalk when you came up to me and I'm leaving now."

Pastor "If you're not a Christian you better stay on that public sidewalk because if I ever catch you walking on our church grounds again, I'll have you arrested for Trespassing you Heathen!"

Needless to say the encounter with the Christian church really shook up the young man, but he was glad he got away unharmed by the hostile encounter with the pastor so he continued on with his walk. As he was walking the neighborhood he came up to our church and we were also having a wonderful outdoor dinner celebration too. I saw him walking very nervously by our church grounds and obviously ran up to him with open arms and a hug but he was startled!

Young Man "Listen mam, I'm not trying to cause trouble. I'm new to the neighborhood and just want to walk in peace ok!"

Me "I'm so sorry young man I didn't mean to startle you I'm just so happy to see a new person walking by and would be honored if you joined us for dinner this wonderful evening."

Young Man "Listen lady I'm not a Christian and I'm not trying to trespass on your land!"

Me "it's ok dear, you don't have to be Christian to be part of our family just be your wonderful self, we love you for who you are, that's all that matters to us."

Young Man "I'm sorry but I don't have a ticket to attend your dinner so I can't come"

Me "you don't need a ticket to come to our dinner, You're family now, and we are so glad you passed by."

Young Man "How can I be family, you don't even know me."

Me "It's ok, you can tell us all about yourself as you eat with our family, we can't wait to get to know you."

Young Man "Thanks for your generosity, but I need to get back home to my family now and help them unpack."

Me "Thanks for stopping by, I'm so glad to have met you. We have this dinner celebration every week and you and your family are always welcome here to eat with us, no tickets required. ;)

If I happened to be new in town I'm going to check out the second church because they were humble and loving and not cruel and judgemental like the first church was. If a church can't see the human behind the religion they are doomed for failure and that's why their Christianity is going to die.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Bringing religion into counselling is a horrible idea, mostly because of the effect it can have on religious people seeking help. Just think about what happens if a mode of treatment isn't effective.

In secular therapy, it's fairly easy to pivot without judgment: "all right... this tool didn't work well in your specific case, but that's okay - we have more tools in the toolbox" and go to a different treatment modality.

OTOH, if you've infused your therapy with lots of prayers and calls for God to intervene but the therapy doesn't work, then the implication is that God didn't intervene. It's a very short jump from that thought to "God wants me to suffer with PTSD," and then on to despondency and withdrawal from therapy.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Bringing religion into counselling is a horrible idea, mostly because of the effect it can have on religious people seeking help. Just think about what happens if a mode of treatment isn't effective.
Louis Bonilla, a Vietnam vet in our church, would disagree completely.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Louis Bonilla, a Vietnam vet in our church, would disagree completely.
Pardon me if I don't decide that your one random hearsay anecdote outweighs the professional, evidence-based opinion of the therapist who I heard raise the argument I repeated.

Kenny

Premium Member
Pardon me if I don't decide that your one random hearsay anecdote outweighs the professional, evidence-based opinion of the therapist who I heard raise the argument I repeated.
Your excused :) Doesn't change reality or truth IMV

F1fan

Veteran Member
Your excused :) Doesn't change reality or truth IMV
There is a small percentage of therapists who are religious and use religion in their practice. It is frowned upon and borders on unethical. Therapists can acknowledge the religious beliefs of pateints but to promote religious ideas has ethical problems.

Kenny

Premium Member
There is a small percentage of therapists who are religious and use religion in their practice. It is frowned upon and borders on unethical. Therapists can acknowledge the religious beliefs of pateints but to promote religious ideas has ethical problems.

But it is frowned upon by whom? And if the client comes knowing the parameters of the religious application by the therapist, is it really unethical?

Now, if it is forced upon, then "yes", it is unethical. IMV

F1fan

Veteran Member
But it is frowned upon by whom?
By therapists, licensing boards, academia, and rational minds that can see the potential problems using religion in therapy can cause.
And if the client comes knowing the parameters of the religious application by the therapist, is it really unethical?
If the therapist keeps their own faith out of their work then there is no ethical problem. It is therapists who refer to their personal faith in ways that can influence a patient’s beliefs.

I can see justification in using religion IF there is a likelihood of self-harm by a patient. This would be used to delay self-harm and not promoting a religious view.

In ethics therapists are seen to highly influential and there has to be careful consideration about what to share about personal beliefs.

If a patient sees a therapist about struggling with faith then the therapist can ask questions about the patient’s faith and experiences. The therapist will encourage behavior that helps the patient find balance and wellbeing. That might include them exploring religion in different ways.
Force isn’t the issue. It is influence. For example if a patient was a Republican and the therapist used his/her position to promote democratic politicians that too would be unethical.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
But it is frowned upon by whom? And if the client comes knowing the parameters of the religious application by the therapist, is it really unethical?

Let me answer as a crazy person. Therapy only worked for me when it fit me. It is not certain that the totally individual way of how you cope fit me nor in reverse. So if you give therapy is not about what works for you, it is about what works for the other one.
Can you understand that?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Your testimony and claims of healing by faith are common from the perspective of many different and diverse religious beliefs. It is simply a part of the nature to be human.

I believe you are correct because I experienced emotional healing and a significant improvement in my life only after I renounced my Christian faith and belief in God. I've already shared my testimony in other threads, so I won't go into detail in this one. I will say, however, that renouncing my Christian faith was without a doubt the best decision I've ever made for my mental health and emotional well-being. I genuinely believe that I am better off without it.

Viker

Häxan
I believe you are correct because I experienced emotional healing and a significant improvement in my life only after I renounced my belief in God and Christian faith. I've already shared my experiences in other threads, so I won't go into detail in this one. I will say, however, that renouncing my Christian faith was without a doubt the best decision I've ever made for my mental health and emotional well-being.
I totally agree. Even if my renunciation went sideways down a dark path. :p

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I believe you are correct because I experienced emotional healing and a significant improvement in my life only after I renounced my Christian faith and belief in God. I've already shared my testimony in other threads, so I won't go into detail in this one. I will say, however, that renouncing my Christian faith was without a doubt the best decision I've ever made for my mental health and emotional well-being. I genuinely believe that I am better off without it.

I did the same and stopped being a western philosophical naturalist and became my own religion.

Apostle John

“Go ahead, look up Revelation 6”
The church will be raptured out one day in the near future. Then, not long after, the millennium reign will get under way. Looking at the Bible it is difficult to say for that period in time what following the Lord Jesus Christ will be called. Will it be Christianity? No one knows, only God.