• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Christianity Die?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I'm sure dozens of religions the world over, all throughout human history, said the exact same thing. Yes, Christianity will die. I believe we're watching it die right now. Because it has become indolent, self-serving, and hypocritical. It no longer lives up to it's message, and has not for a very long time. People - actual people, not politicians and propagandists - are sick of it, to the point that even active Christians want nothing to do with Christianity. It is rotten from the inside out, and the infection has gone too deep; it will die, and maybe when enough time has passed there will be something new born again from it.

Audie

Veteran Member
I'm sure dozens of religions the world over, all throughout human history, said the exact same thing. Yes, Christianity will die. I believe we're watching it die right now. Because it has become indolent, self-serving, and hypocritical. It no longer lives up to it's message, and has not for a very long time. People - actual people, not politicians and propagandists - are sick of it, to the point that even active Christians want nothing to do with Christianity. It is rotten from the inside out, and the infection has gone too deep; it will die, and maybe when enough time has passed there will be something new born again from it.
Eventually.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Current projections indicate that Christianity is not going away anytime soon, although it's hard to predict the trajectory of religious thought decades into the future in our increasingly interconnected and volatile world.

Infographic: The World's Largest Religious Groups Over Time

Religion has been a feature of human civilizations for millennia, and I don't expect it to ever go away fully. I also don't think things would necessarily be better if it did. The idea that "science and reason" will "liberate" humanity from religion seems to me a secular version of a salvation narrative with no solid basis in reality.

I believe Christianity will change, evolve, and adapt, but it won't die.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If current trends continue, within the next 50 years (give or take a few) Christianity will become a minority religion. And i believe continue its downward path to leave just a few strongholds in America and Africa. Over a few generations they too will wither and die.

Unless of course, the church sorts itself out,

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
will-christianity-die

I suppose that that question is of interest to Christians, but all I want from Christianity is for it to lose its influence in the lives of non-Christians, not disappear from the earth. Christianity isn't a problem when all it does is protest abortion clinics, but when it starts killing abortion providers and making abortion illegal, it needs to be stricken down. But do that and the same in the other areas where it pokes its unwanted into the business of non-Christians, and why would unbelievers even think about Christianity? How often do you think about Sikhism or Jainism? Probably about as often as they interfere with your life - never. Atheists don't seem to care that such religions exist, because their existence is irrelevant to anybody but their adherents.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There a couple different discussions here. First the story in the article sounds like any AA story of recovery and following a spiritually based program. In AA, it's the higher power, or "God as we understand Him", without any specific doctrinal or theological idea of God one must adopt to be part of the group.

It's an open-ended spiritual recovery program, and this gentleman's story fits right in with countless others in AA, or any 12 step program for recovery. So is it really about Christianity or "Jesus" as a religion, or about spirituality in general? I'd say it is the latter.

Now, as far as will Christianity as a religion die? I'd say it appears that Christianity, like that guy in the story, is putting a gun to its own head in selling it's spiritual birthright in getting into bed with right wing political extremists and calling that God. Prostituting themselves, or "whoring after other gods" in Biblical language. Spiritually minded people recognize something is afoul and are jumping ship left and right these days.

However, Christianity as a philosophy, as something that transcends religious boundaries, is something I believe can survive Christianity as a religion. I call that "redeeming God", or "saving Christ" from Christianity. Being a Christian means doing what Jesus taught, action in the world of love and compassion, understanding and forgiveness. It does not mean all this bull**** from the pulpits of right wing political conservatives.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I doubt Christianity will die completely, but it is in good company as to other religions that should also be looking over their shoulder, given these probably can't keep people away from the knowledge that might get people leaving them. And some might be hastened as to such by some of the silly or even dangerous doctrines that often come from them. Who after all wants to live in societies that might erupt into conflict simply because some people have different religious beliefs than others? :oops:

PS And the fact is that some countries tend to have more inertia as to retaining religious beliefs more than others - like the Eastern European ones perhaps or South American ones, as well as the USA.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Everything in this universe is temporary, therefore it stands to reason that Christianity, like everything else experienced here, won’t live on forever.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Yes. Definitely. So called Christianity will die. :D
In fact, it is dying, but it will kick the bucket in one swift go... along with all the other religious bodies. Revelation 18:21 ...that is, all religion not approved by God.

To many, that may sound harsh, but reality oftentimes is harsh. It does not need to be, if we are willing to make adjustments though. James 1:27
James 4:4; Revelation 18:4

What I find, is helping people, is not so much, religion, but the Bible. The Gospels, as well as the writings of the apostles, the Psalms, the words of Solomon - Wise saying in Proverbs, and examples of God's dealings in the past.
The ring of truth, is what affects people's hearts, and emotions.
Along with that, God is the hearer of prayers - Psalms 65:2, and does respond to those calling upon him in trueness. Psalm 145:18

The word of God, is alive, and exerts power, and is sharper than any two edged sword, and is pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints from the marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart - Hebrews 4:12
It also gives comfort, that is from God - 2 Corinthians 1:3-4, because all scripture is inspired by God - 2 Timothy 3:16. It is God breathed. 2 Peter 1:21

That's why people like that Marine, do get some relief.
The real benefits come in staying the course - not deviating, but enduring to the end. Matthew 24:13

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Like all ancient religions Christianity will not likely die, but it is becoming increasingly not relevant beyond the ancient culture and time it originated.

Your testimony and claims of healing by faith are common from the perspective of many different and diverse religious beliefs. It is simply a part of the nature to be human.

Soandso

It's kind of interesting to see how Christianity is falling in this day and age in the USA. When you search up the topic on youtube, every pastor that covers the issue has a completely different message. Every pastor gives a different reason for why they think this is happening. What that tells me is that most Christians in this country aren't sure exactly why their pews are getting emptier and emptier every year

Moreover, if you search up atheism on youtube, most videos by religious channels cover stories of atheists who find god and become Christians. I'm sure those stories are uplifting for Christians to see, but they also tell a very skewed story. In reality, only 1% of religious nones that consider themselves atheists join a church within a 4 year period. This is according to Ryan Burge who is a professor in Political Science (and also a Baptist pastor). Skip to 9:00 on this video to hear what he says on the issue

I feel like most US Christians are out of touch when it comes to this topic in general

Eddi

Panentheist and Psychedelic Cat
Premium Member
I don't think it will entirely die out

I believe its cycle of decline will eventually level off

And it will just shrink to a much smaller size rather than die out

Unless of course some kind of revival happens