• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Australia invade Solomon Islands

danieldemol

Premium Member
According to the ABC, Prime Minister of the Solomon Islands Mr Sogovare, 'seemed to latch onto a piece written by an Australian analyst which suggested that the federal government might need to launch an invasion of Solomon Islands if China moved to set up a military base in the country.

No government figure in Australia has publicly raised the prospect of invasion.

But Mr Sogavare seemed to suggest that option was being contemplated in Australia, saying Solomon Islands had received a "touching warning of military intervention".

"In other words, we are threatened with invasion. Now that's serious," he said.'

Source: Solomon Islands Prime Minister ups ante in criticism of Australia while praising China during tirade in parliament

An invasion of the Solomon Islands sounds like hysteria to me, but I suppose if I was the leader of a smaller country and a foreign analyst suggested it I might be a bit worried.

So what do you think, will Australia invade Solomon Islands?

Personally I think it won't.

In my opinion.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
According to the ABC, Prime Minister of the Solomon Islands Mr Sogovare, 'seemed to latch onto a piece written by an Australian analyst which suggested that the federal government might need to launch an invasion of Solomon Islands if China moved to set up a military base in the country.

But Mr Sogavare seemed to suggest that option was being contemplated in Australia, saying Solomon Islands had received a "touching warning of military intervention".

"In other words, we are threatened with invasion. Now that's serious," he said.'

Source: Solomon Islands Prime Minister ups ante in criticism of Australia while praising China during tirade in parliament

An invasion of the Solomon Islands sounds like hysteria to me, but I suppose if I was the leader of a smaller country and a foreign analyst suggested it I might be a bit worried.

In my opinion.
Does the Solomon Islands have a big brewery?

Audie

Veteran Member
China is assumimg control of the eastern
Pacific, and Oz has no capacity to interfere.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

In my opinion.

Probably not. Although, I recall a similar situation back in '83 when Reagan invaded Grenada because he thought communists were taking over that island nation.

I'll admit I hadn't paid much attention to the Solomon Islands until recently, but apparently they've been suffering from ethnic violence, civil unrest, and severe economic problems these past couple of decades. Perhaps they believe they can get a better deal from China than they've gotten from the West.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Well if australia is smart they would give the Solomons money to make them a protectorate, and then they allow Australian troops to occupy the islands. This would definitely cause China serious problems to occupy the islands themselves.

Plus. if you are going to wage war, do it is someone elses territory.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Well if australia is smart they would give the Solomons money to make them a protectorate, and then they allow Australian troops to occupy the islands. This would definitely cause China serious problems to occupy the islands themselves.

Plus. if you are going to wage war, do it is someone elses territory.
The current Australian government seems more interested in letting a small number of private individuals gain control of all the money rather than sending it somewhere needed such as the Solomon Islands.

Personally I doubt we could out-compete an economic superpower like China for buying up protectorates and island troop occupation sites anyway, so I doubt there is much the Australian government could practically do to change the situation.

Hopefully at least the Solomon Islands get some much needed investment out of it.

In my opinion.

JIMMY12345

In my opinion.
China is adept at buying favour. It invests in infrastructure. This comes at a price. Often assets can be sized in debt default. They pour in labour and men. Mr Sogavare will not hurt politically. If he raises (the false) spectre of Australian invasion. Putin's invades sovereign Ukraine. Australia has a totally different system and would never emulate. Rhetoric from Mr Sogavare is just that rhetoric.