• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Atheism Ever Be The Dominant Religion?

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member
"Jesus has not come back."

Says who? Got proof? How do you know Jesus is not just some guy working in a record store?

Think so? I don't know........ I remember once researching and counting up all the various times Jesus said he would be right back.... seems it was up into the high teens wasn't it?

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member
It is the religion that believes that no god exists. One cannot prove no god exists, one simply clings to the faith that no god does.
DavidFirth........Except that in today's world there is such a thing as evidence and corroboration of evidence. If only there were some evidence of any god or goddess existing....... You're referring to the god who claims he created everything a few thousand years ago, and wrote a book about it, but you refuse to answer my questions, such as how can a perfect being create imperfection, or be a genocidal maniac or condone slavery. What would you guess was the population of the earth 2000 years ago, and how many gods existed at that time? It appears that you've thrown anthropology and mythology and a few other disciplines out of the window regarding the existence of said deity..... do you have any comment regarding my objections?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It is the religion that believes that no god exists. One cannot prove no god exists, one simply clings to the faith that no god does.

Yes i can, and have, to you, you choose to ignore the evidence or excuse it as irrelevant.

When there is evidence of a god or gods then most atheists will review that evidence. As it stands no such evidnce exists so atheism is he most logical position based on reality

Until then childhood leukemia, the mosquito and the mass energy equivalence equation are evidence that a creator god and/or omnipotent god cannot exist.

Jumi

If you are telling me that by calling atheism a religion I can disrespect both theists and atheists at the same time, then I think that is just great.
It disrespectful to atheists and theists who have a religion and to atheists who don't have a religion, because you know better. Some atheists have a religion that is not atheism and not all theists have a religioin, including myself.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

o_O That's holding to the fact there is a god and putting atheists in a place where their position is logical to you. If you have faith they must have faith too. If atheist believe we need knowledge, we must believe theist must have knowledge too.

Completely missing out on both ends that you don't need to put someone else in your puzzle to understand them. Defeats the purpose of accepting other people's truths without filtering it through your own.

Very odd but we all do it all the time.

One has to have a concept of god to have faith in it. Once one has a concept of god, they can either reject the concept or accept it regardless if it's a fact or fiction. When one has a concept, then they can apply faith to that concept "I have faith in X-concept or I don't have faith in that concept". If you're not familiar with the concept whether by belief or indoctrination, what exactly is the person supposed to have faith in?

On the other hand, how does that person have faith in something he is not exposed to as a concept fiction or fact?

It's a real question. Don't think anyone answered it other than atheists. Go figure. :rolleyes: Kinda like asking a question about god geared to, say, atheists, and only christians answer.

Laika

Premium Member
Well It was- in USSR, North Korea and Communist China,

So I'd say it depends entirely on how much freedom of other beliefs is oppressed in the future

It is worth mentioning that both Christianity and Islam have become the dominant religions in the world primarily by state sanctioned violence against peoples holding other belief systems. the Spanish Conquest of the Americans spreading Catholicism there and Islam spread through the Middle East by religious wars. I'm less certain about the relationship of Hinduism and Buddhism to such practices.

But- accepting the premises of the question- it would seem that the level of "destruction" of pre-atheistic belief systems would require violence and coercion on a scale similar to that of the Christian Persecution of Pagan beliefs, the conflicts between Protestant and Catholic beliefs within Christian Europe or the "State Atheism" of the USSR, China, etc.

There may not be a historical precedent for Atheism (either as a belief or lack of belief) becoming dominant worldwide based on an entirely peaceful evolution to secular societies even as individual nations may have developed more secular beliefs over time. Maybe 2% of the world's population are explicitly atheist (whereas about 15% are "non-religious"), so it would be quite a shift in global beliefs as Christianity and Islam make up about 55%. For Atheism (however it is defined) to become globally dominant without violence would be a major historical accomplishment.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I am not suppose talk about it, against the rules, but if you think really hard about it I am sure you can figure out who the "they" is here at RF.
OK. That's odd. But, it's not a big deal. Still not sure what "they" would have a problem with our conversation.